CF name taken by Con-Way

I agree with you both. As long as you do not antagonize them on their site, you should be able to say what you think on the site you worked for. I worked for CF, and now have moved on to Holland. I will say this though; I am a lot more proud of CF as a company than any other I worked for. I just wanted to put in my two bits. Stimpy!!:USA:

stimpy we need to hear from more x cf people like you holland is were i retired from they were good to us but cf will always be my company. were you a t/o or city what about you flistc2000

Moparman said:
Just one more slap in the face to all the former C.F. employees.I guess it's par for the course from a low life company like conway!It may take a while but every dog has it's day!
It was your UNION,that let conway do it

BEAR HAMMER said:
It was your UNION,that let conway do it
Sorry, your wrong. The company, CF corporate management, planned and executed the closing of CF decades ago.
This discussion has been hashed over many times, but you can't agrue the fact that CF started another company, in direct competition with their own company, in order to divert start-up funds so that legally under one corporate name they could have another non-union viable company that provided the same exact service at cheaper labor costs.

excfman said:
stimpy we need to hear from more x cf people like you holland is were i retired from they were good to us but cf will always be my company. were you a t/o or city what about you flistc2000
I was city P&D in Philadelphia. Great people and a great company .... just poor, greedy management ended an otherwise viable and very busy long time freight giant in the industry !

I started driving when I was young. The first job lasted me eleven years as a cover wagon driver for Dallas and Mavis. It was a good job, just got tired of living out of a suitcase, eleven years was enough. So to answer your question I was and am a city driver now, and love it!!!! I take pride in my work; I try to keep the truck I drive clean and neat. At CF, the last truck I drove, had three million miles on it, it was refurbished. Meaning it had a paint job new headliner, it was a nice truck. Don’t miss that manual steering though; man I used to have big arms back then. Sorry I am just rambling. Everyone have a good weekend!!!:cold2: :cold2: :cold2:

same here city driver knoxville tn it took me 22years to get p/s tractor still see some of the old freightliners around lot of the trailers some of city unit benton freight is in our old place

ibt let con-way in LOL i say that a man that's brainwash's real bad the hammer was used to that head one time to much

flstc2000 said:
but you can't agrue the fact that CF started another company, in direct competition with their own company, in order to divert start-up funds so that legally under one corporate name they could have another non-union viable company that provided the same exact service at cheaper labor costs.

i really dont want to get into a pi**ing match here folks, but i didnt know CF specialized in NEXT DAY/2 DAY freight? if they did, i stand corrected.

as far as cheaper labor costs go, and if you are only talking about hourly rate, CCX makes more than the union. $22.55. its not much more than the union makes but its still more. if you want to talk about time vesting till top rate, conway takes 5 yrs to get to top rate. union is 2 yrs. so in essence, conways labor cost is cheaper in that perspective. on the other side of labor costs, it is cheaper from an company operating standpoint to have a universal soldier as an employee capable and available to do anything need.

i am not anti anything. i am "pro" family. i do whats best at the current time in my life. i am proud to be associated in a sense with CF. it was wrong what happened and im sorry. but i definetly had nothing to do with the closure considering i didnt even get my CDL untill after they closed up shop. heck i went to driving school with a CF dockhand. he wore his CF hat everyday. he was so proud to have worked there. thats why anytime you guys on the forum say it was a family atmosphere i know what you guys are talking about. i heard about it from him.

anytime im on p/d and i see any kind of CF stuff. i kindly ask if i can have it. i allready have a few old CF magnets on my fridge. one day i asked for a magnet and i actually had a shipping guy slightly yell at me saying i was the reason for CF's closure. i couldnt believe what i was hearing! he asked me if i was going to throw it away. i told him i collect CF stuff. i had to set him straight and explain i didnt even start driving untill they were closed. he calmed down after that.

we had two day same day it was hard to sell by the time we got in to it con-way was to big to stop like you said you didn't get into it till after 02 you don't know the hold story back to 1983 how they came in said we never want be as big as big brother cf they were going to be the little sister. here in tn all they were going to pickup was ab sc nc ga va that was just the start of there lies if you buy into them i feel sorry for you. we were ask to get freight for them our sale's staff rode around with con way staff as for myself never got the first shipment for you i knowed a beast in the making if we didn't make i ask them to call shortline union carrier. who do you think payed for everything we did cf pay there taxs there fuel they did it all. you know i hope con-way starts a smalline carrier and let's it grow like it was done to us then you people will understand what it was like the last few years at cf

paul wall said:
i really dont want to get into a pi**ing match here folks, but i didnt know CF specialized in NEXT DAY/2 DAY freight? if they did, i stand corrected.

as far as cheaper labor costs go, and if you are only talking about hourly rate, CCX makes more than the union. $22.55. its not much more than the union makes but its still more. if you want to talk about time vesting till top rate, conway takes 5 yrs to get to top rate. union is 2 yrs. so in essence, conways labor cost is cheaper in that perspective. on the other side of labor costs, it is cheaper from an company operating standpoint to have a universal soldier as an employee capable and available to do anything need.

i am not anti anything. i am "pro" family. i do whats best at the current time in my life. i am proud to be associated in a sense with CF. it was wrong what happened and im sorry. but i definetly had nothing to do with the closure considering i didnt even get my CDL untill after they closed up shop. heck i went to driving school with a CF dockhand. he wore his CF hat everyday. he was so proud to have worked there. thats why anytime you guys on the forum say it was a family atmosphere i know what you guys are talking about. i heard about it from him.

anytime im on p/d and i see any kind of CF stuff. i kindly ask if i can have it. i allready have a few old CF magnets on my fridge. one day i asked for a magnet and i actually had a shipping guy slightly yell at me saying i was the reason for CF's closure. i couldnt believe what i was hearing! he asked me if i was going to throw it away. i told him i collect CF stuff. i had to set him straight and explain i didnt even start driving untill they were closed. he calmed down after that.
It's not so much the hourly rate as it is the benifit package we get.The union driver doesn't pay for medical and doesn't have to contribute to the pension;I believe you guys pay into both,Union drivers are gaureented 8.Where I see some of your guys go home with less than that ,So it is actually cheaper to work your drivers than it is for union workers.
And for every buddies BIG BUDDY :ranting2: (BRUTUS) the get over it doesn't always work,I didn't work for CF,had a lot of friends that did, but went thru the same thing at redstar.So until you have to go thru it yourself YOU have no right to say GET OVER IT:shock: CRAZY

if con-way was ever to closed their doors.I'd just go down the road and get another job .it's just a job nothing more nothing less .it's not family! my family is my wife and kids and anyone related to me.

trucker4cf said:
watch what you say about conway you will get kicked off this board.

Yeah!!! The man running this board works for Conway out of Columbus.He hates anyone who has to say something bad about Conway.He"s a company man.

Nighthawk said:
Yeah!!! The man running this board works for Conway out of Columbus.He hates anyone who has to say something bad about Conway.He"s a company man.
trucker4cf said:
watch what you say about conway you will get kicked off this board.
your both wrong on this.you can say what you want about the company but not the employees.attack the company not the working guy.

brutus said:
if con-way was ever to closed their doors.I'd just go down the road and get another job .it's just a job nothing more nothing less .it's not family! my family is my wife and kids and anyone related to me.

Brutus, The difference is that at CF we were family. We had holiday partys every year, had picnics in the summer, golf tournaments in the fall.

For the most part, we actually enjoyed hanging out with each other as opposed to it just being someone I worked with. To this day I do miss working with those great people.

From the sounds of things, you guys don't quite have that bond and maybe thats why you can't relate to what we went through.

This is why we all miss CF so much

brutus said:
your both wrong on this.you can say what you want about the company but not the employees.attack the company not the working guy.

Brutus is right guys. I may have a huge problem with the way the CF situation was handled but I have no problem with their drivers.

We all have jobs to do and they are just doing theirs.

Nighthawk said:

Nighthawk, Brutus has just as much of a right to express his opinion here as you do. He has to post and moderate within the forum rules just as you have to follow the rules.

Nobody gets in trouble here for expressing opinions

brutus said:
This is where your wrong Brutus It does effect your family big time and that is why alot of guys just cant give it up.....CRAZY

When CF started con-way they said it was to be a trk load carrier. No comp with the Union side. When we started complaining about double breasting we were told they wern't hauling the freight we wanted anyway. Was not long before we were called CF Motorfreight and buying time on our computer system that was now controled by cnf. We saw a leader in the freight industry run into the ground . The money we were making was bailing out emery air and helping con-way spread across the country.
So if the former employees of CF sound a little pissed off, I think any reasonable person should understand why.
The name Consolidated Freightways is dead Let it lie in peace.

CFer said:
Brutus is right guys. I may have a huge problem with the way the CF situation was handled but I have no problem with their drivers.

We all have jobs to do and they are just doing theirs.

You are right I don’t have any problem with any driver At Con-Way, it’s just like you said in another post; we were just like family, we cared for each other, not stabbing each other in the back. There was a lot of respect for seniority, (I was about in the middle so I received some and gave out a lot, in awe of their experience.) This is something that is nonexistent at my current job, (respect). Good luck to all, Stimpy!!!