CF pups in the UPS Freight fleet

Discussion in 'Consolidated Freightways' started by UPSFreightDUId, Dec 22, 2008.

1. av8tor

av8tor Well-Known Member

The con-way equipment is still all in this configuration. All hookups on the pax side, crank handles and 5th. wheel handles also....I think Road Systems is still a subsiderary of CNF.........

2. longtimeltl

longtimeltl Retired and Happy!

:hide:
    They are, only now it's not CNF, it is Con-Way Inc.:smilie_132:

3. Cornbinder

Cornbinder Active Member

fdx-own's them.............

Road stystem's is still part of Con-Way,WE (fdx-frt) have some of your newer trailer's,in our fleet the landing gear is hard to roll up and down.

4. clevebrownsfan

clevebrownsfan New Member

I saw an old cf trailer on i-40 in knoxville yesterday. still had all the markings which I thought was strange.

5. excfman

excfman Active Member

i know i see that trailer all the time i don't think the tractor has a name on it everytime i see it there around the scales. everytime i see i think to my self are we back are we back lol:duh:

6. mattjm

mattjm Junior Senior Member

I liked them on that side because my dad taught me to always check the pin. His advice helped me out for 35 years. He taught me that after i drooped a 30 foot flat bed with a load of big wire rope.

7. longtimeltl

:hide: Conway has not bought any "new" pups for quite some time. When a pup reaches a certain age, or before, depending on deterioration, it is sent to Road Systems in Searcy, stripped to the frame, sand blasted, painted, mechanical components replaced with new, new wood floor, and a new box built from the frame up. Concerning the one poster that said the dollys crank hard, they change suppliers for landing gear occasionally, some are great, some require all you've got to crank.:smilie_132:

8. daycab18

daycab18 Member

i've noticed some road systems trailers at the main post office in pittsburgh,pa. usps must have purchased some at auction, still has cf #'s on them, smooth sided w/p.o. lettering

9. av8tor

av8tor Well-Known Member

I don't think that is entirely accurate. I have seen a bunch of new '08 units. They have the 22.5 wheels/tires like the new Sterlings. They also have a different crank handle, it has an extra, spring loaded device on it to keep it in either the loose, or rigid setting for cranking the gear.

Matter of fact, i pulled one last night, home from fac.....

10. longtimeltl

:hide: You may be right. The sure way to tell is by looking at the serial plate on the front. It will give the date of original manufacture.:smilie_132: