CF question

Drivetolive

TB Lurker
Credits
What exactly happened to CF that it was closed? I don't know if this thread will get moved but I figured most of the older conway drivers are on this part of the forum.

"Consolidated Freightways was union from 1929 till 2002 and they had to throw in the towel"

Can someone tell me the history behind this?

they started con-way in 1982 it took about 15 years after that. they pay it all for con-way till 96-97 i mean it all taxs fuel tractor trailers there yards forklifts desks in the offices you name they pay for it for years till cf got them in the black and out of the red that why most of us don't care them. the thing that get me most how we get that old freightier book con-way was in and saying nonunion going to say that way and the drivers took it to heart they walk away if they saw you out here in knoxville anyway that just the way i feel about it. oh ican see emails coming now lol

Conway Busted Them

tHE FORMER MANAGEMENT STARTED CONWAY AND TOOK ON JOB TITLES SUCH AS DOCK WORKER DRIVER CUSTOMER SERVICE REP AND SO ON AND THEN WERE PROMOTED TO REGION MANAGERS AND PRESIDENTS AND IT WAS ALL A BUNCH OF BALONGA. THEN IN 2006 AFTER YEARS OF WANTING NOTHING TO DO WITH LELAND JAMES THEY CAME OUT AND GAVE EVERYONE A COMERATIVE COIN WITH HIS FACE ON IT AND CALLED HIM CONWAYS FOUNDER:hysterical: HOPE YOU LIKE THE HISTORY LESSON DONT TRUST THE MAN

you said it they didn't want to be like cf in anyway but they were form the bill of lading to the pro numbers and we were all the same till the end. i will never buy the spin off thing they they just got by shuting down the union side of it

it took a while but they drove them under

You are right they accomplished their goal and it didn't help that they priced their self out of the profits that were due them. Thank the master mind je.... d.....

RDWY tried doing the same thing in the early to mid 90's. Spartan, Roberts, RPS and Viking. They spun RDWY off because our "high overhead" was a drain on the others. I'm not sure why the plug was never pulled on RDWY, I'm thinking the founders daughter kept us going with her partial control of the company. She's gone now................DS.

RDWY tried doing the same thing in the early to mid 90's. Spartan, Roberts, RPS and Viking. They spun RDWY off because our "high overhead" was a drain on the others. I'm not sure why the plug was never pulled on RDWY, I'm thinking the founders daughter kept us going with her partial control of the company. She's gone now................DS.

When Roadway Services spun off Roadway Express, I think it was as close as Roadway has ever been to being shut down. I give Mike Wickham credit for guiding Roadway through a very scary time.

i think your right wickman did a great job there and we had one to roger curry we were making money but they didn't want that so they got rid of him put pat blake up there and he ran it in the ground with roger we had 100m in the bank debt free the one i really like to know how you start a company in 82 and your is start in 1929 there parent in 1996 how do you go from the baby in 82 to the daddy in 96 i spoke to some lawyers about that they just give a dumb look on there faces a lot like we did

sometime i wonder if leland james is not rolling over in his grave for what they did to his company i bet it start after they sold freightliner then 02 he real had a fit i hope he's standing up at st peters gate with hammer in hand lol

just call me I'll be the first one there is there anything i need to bring. come to thing about i got some crown royal that i was going to save and open for my retirement from cf i NEVER got to open I'm sure it still good it's just seven years young now.

I left CF in 1992. I told the secretary that I was not coming back after vacation as I was tired of working with so many boneheads in management. I move on to TNT Holland and found out that I moved from hell to Heaven. I am sure some of you have heard the good comments about Holland. I worked for Interstate Motor Freight System for almost 20 years and was there when they bit the dust. CF was operating just like IS and knew that they were short lived. CFs program was to rid the company of everything and give it to Conway. Just more of the things that management does to day to their good workers. Hope things get going better. Good luck to all of you that have suffered under these traumatic situations.