CF Trailer and Dolly

ok heres a stupid question. what did they use that for?????

Here's some more pictures Brutus to give you an idea of what it was and how it worked.

Paul Martino Truck Collection

CF would station this truck in Donner Pass to help trucks that might get stuck in the snow.

They would push or pull the trucks of any company that got stuck because they needed the roads open for their own trucks to get through

It was just like that one, although I don't remember if it had the giant tires on the back. And it was very snowy that morning....they just opened the Pike up for eastbound traffic....it was like being in a 25mph convoy. Then we saw the 'pusher' going west....it was a sight to see.

Just watched a show on the History Channel yesterday, it was about the Alaska haul road, the equipment and drivers.
The very first temporary road only lasted for two trips, but on the first trip one of the lead trucks was a Consolidated Freightways truck.
Interesting to see what a once great and proud company had done.

OK here another question why put the chains on the trailer's.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/paul_martino/cf_pusher04.jpg

and how did you keep the doubles straight when they were being pushed?

I'm just guessing here but the unit could push or pull. Perhaps it would push singles and pull doubles. Or, once doubles got a little momentum maybe they just needed some nudging from behind to keep them moving.

Just guess about the chains also but I would guess it's to keep the trailers tracking straight.

Anyone else have some input on this one?

Chains are needed to keep the rear trailer tracking on the downhill trip.
Too much momentum will have the rear trailer starting a jackknife when the brakes are applied.

There's nothing worse than coming down a hill in the snow with a nose heavy pup. Touch those brakes and look in your mirror to see what the side of your trailer looks like. :shock::TR10driving03: :TR10driving03:

I remember CF used wedge brakes. Soon as you touch them they locked up, especially in the winter.

All that you had to do there was take the quarter out of the back box electric plug that was grounding you parking lights and stick it into the service gladhand.....ha ha ha .......

I remember the first time a vendor came out to adjust my brakes and he crawled under it with a chisel and biggest hammer i ever saw.I asked why the big hammer and he said big tools for big job.

outside of the new buffalo terminal which used to be a CF terminal, theres a CF pup parked outside the fence. go figure.... :nutkick:

somebody had a dozen or so trailers in a field,on I 90 near the sod farm outside buffalo. anybody know if they're still there??

I saw that about 2 years ago. Not only were the trailers there but I saw dollies also.

They looked like they were just sitting on the side of the highway

I seen a ex CF single day cab freightliner at some guys house on US 20 in OHIO.
Could tell it was a ex CF truck by the large red air tank mounted vertically behind the cab.

It's amazing on how many stories you all come up with just by us lookin at a couple of picture's of a once great company.:1036316054: :3dflagsdotcom_usa_2

I saw that about 2 years ago. Not only were the trailers there but I saw dollies also.

They looked like they were just sitting on the side of the highway

They have been gone for over 2 years or more now. I believe I had counted 20 pups and several dollies in that field. Off in the distance I saw a tractor and jockey wagon sitting by a barn. I think this is the outfit that sells and delivers hay.
Everytime I see some old equipment I can't help wonder if it was ever accounted for and sold.
Like the semi trailer sitting in Rochester on the road to the New Penn terminal. That trailer has been sitting in that same spot for years, numbers and name still intact !