CF Trailer and Dolly

I see a Cf 45 foot van backed into a dock out in Herietta,not to far from where CF had there Rochester New York terminal.
It looks brand new,but its an old one because it has a metal sign attached to the side near the nose with CF on it.
About 2,or 3 years before CF went under all the new equipment that was put into Consolidateds system had vinyl signs.
I knew most of the city drivers in Rochester.
When the new stuff came into their terminal we were kidding about how it would be real easy for CF to sell that equipment.
Just by taking a hair dryer to remove the vinyl,and than they would just be no name stuff.
Little did we know back than that our prediction was going to come true.

There's gotta be a "lead" sittin around somewhere unless they got one of those old Freightliner COE's with the concrete block on the back. Lets see how many remember those baby's.

Big R
Those trucks were called Coffin Carriers by the drivers.I know a driver out of Erie Pa that used to drive them.I didnt get to drive them but I did drive the sliders.that was the trucks that Cf used in Pa before doubles were allowed.

I see a Cf 45 foot van backed into a dock out in Herietta,not to far from where CF had there Rochester New York terminal.
It looks brand new,but its an old one because it has a metal sign attached to the side near the nose with CF on it.

That's the same one I see, only it hasn't been backed into a door for years ... it's just sitting out on the lot.
For those of us who know ... it's a 379 series unit.
There is also another company over behind the Home Depot that does have a couple of trailers, but they appear to be just storage units.

379's were 48 footers; I think the 375's were 45 footers. But I could be wrong. I still remember the old rag trailers, one day I was going in & out of one and water was dripping on me. So I took a broom and pushed up to get the water off, little did I know the dock super was standing there; he got totally drench, and was pretty upset needless to say. I thought it was pretty funny. Ahhh!!!! The good old days.

Oh Yeah............. You mean the 43 series (96 inch wide) and the 47 series (102 inch wide) trailers. They were a real blast in the city to cover back up

flstc2000 if you don't mind me asking are you a city driver in the Rochester NY area?
We may know each other if you are?
The CF trailer on Clay Road just kiddy corner from the Henrietta Home Depot is where Balta Brothers pie,and bakery used to be.
I don't know whats there now?
This trailer looks like its in very good condition.

I run the north west route out of UPS Freights Rochester terminal.
I don't get out to Batavia much anymore,so I'm not sure if that hay broker still has those CF pups any more?
I delivered to his warehouse in LeRoy about 6 years ago.
Since I've been doing a regular run I only get around with our early appoinments.
I liked being a volume driver much better for the varity of deliveries.
But my TM gives any volume to the newbees,that work the dock,and also P&D.
When your non-union your company can be very creative,when it comes to work asignments.

You mean you didn't use a placard to stop the rain??????????

Placards were not an option at this time. There was a swimming pool on top of the trailer, and it needed to come off. I was just lucky enough to get the super and get away with it. I was the dock hero for a while. :hysterical:

Do you drivers remember the old rag top 45 foot trailers.
The top could be rolled back,than detached and folded up,than all the cross bars taken off,as well as the sides.
which would give you a flat bed.
Taking this trailer apart,and putting them back together was a two man job.
I remember these trailers when I worked at Hall's Motor Transit,from 1968 to 1986.

Halls also had some plastic sides on 45 foot trailers.
I would spend all day loading Kodak freight from the floor to the roof in these trailers.
The funny thing was that I had to drop the trailer at Kodaks dock.
It made a good seal against the dock side pads.
The heat from inside the building,and the cold winter air on the outside,caused condinsation inside these trailers,before long it was like rain falling from the roof.
The inside walls were all wet.

When these loads got to their destinations,all the boxes that were against the sides would be frozen,so tight the box would tear apart when they were pulled off the trailer sides.

When I saw all the water on the roof,and the trailer sides,I warned my TM that I thought I knew that this condition would be trouble at the other end.
He was like most every TM,if it comes from a driver They don't want to hear it.
But guess what after I'd loaded about three of these plastic sides out.
The next ones were all steel sides.
Halls has been out of business since March of 1986.
I know they are gone because they didn't want to listen to their drivers.

flstc2000 if you don't mind me asking are you a city driver in the Rochester NY area?
No, I am a road driver now for New Penn and go into our Rochester terminal on ocassion and see those trailers.
We may know each other if you are?
The CF trailer on Clay Road just kiddy corner from the Henrietta Home Depot is where Balta Brothers pie,and bakery used to be.
I don't know whats there now?
This trailer looks like its in very good condition.
Don't know either since we don't stay at the hotel next to Dom Pablo's anymore ... it's under renovation.
I run the north west route out of UPS Freights Rochester terminal.
I don't get out to Batavia much anymore,so I'm not sure if that hay broker still has those CF pups any more?
The pups have all been removed from the field by the thruway, but sometimes you can see a tractor up by the barn.
I delivered to his warehouse in LeRoy about 6 years ago.
Since I've been doing a regular run I only get around with our early appoinments.
I liked being a volume driver much better for the varity of deliveries.
But my TM gives any volume to the newbees,that work the dock,and also P&D.
When your non-union your company can be very creative,when it comes to work asignments.
I hear you .... but that's being " flexible " !!
I know I would rather be a city P&D driver, I enjoyed that type of work better, but I have it better running the road for New Penn. Less work, less time and no dock work involved !

we called these open tops with removable sides "converta-flats"

anybody remember the old jack cole company
ltl carrier from birmingham, al? bought out by admiral merchants

I just remembered at the Teamsters Convention there was a parade of locals trucks down the Vegas strip and beside of Ballys. They came through blowing their horns and waving. Anyway, someone came through with a CF pup and a set of RDWY doubles. I'll look but I don't think I got a photo of either one. Just wondering if anyone else saw that or got a photo?? DS.
Well I guess nobody got a photo of that trailer. I had my camera but stood there and didn't take any pictures!!:duh: DS.

Do any of you old timers remember the cab under power units?
I posted this question a few months back,but only about two people remembered them.
I tryed finding a picture searching the internet,but came up empty.
When they first came out the Teamsters told the truck manufacture that built them,no way are any Teamster drivers going to drive them.
I was a Teamster back than,and can remember they didn't look very safe to drive.
The fith wheel was just behind the roof.
It almost looked like a sports car with a twin screw back end.
If anyone of you remember them,do you know where theres any pictures of them?

Yeah I remember the cab unders. I beleive Ryder Truck Leasing was pitching them as a way to get around length laws and get more volume on trailers. I saw one they put together for Giant Foods of Landover, Md.. The tractor was in the blue Giant colors, with a trailer to match. Ridiculous thought, sitting so low you could not see over traffic ahead and with the nose of the trailer right above you it must have been a pistol to judge low bridges. Anyway the teamsters at Giant would not even begin to consider letting Giant use them. A stupid idea that luckily went nowhere.

Here's a link: http://www.computrucks.com/truckstuffjune04.html

Another link http://www.computrucks.com/truckstuffnovember04.html

Thanks a lot for posting the story about the cab unders St.J vet.
I remember talking to some trucker this summer about the cab overs that are few and far between now days.
I searched the internet with Google,yahoo,and AOL and couldn't find anything about them.
I didn't realize that only two were actualy bilt?
I saw one a long time ago on the experssway that runs north,and south,at the east side of town.
It was under a flat bed.
The driver must have been used to driving it.
He was really hammering it when I saw it zip by.
I remember when they came out.
They were in news stories with pictures.
I was a Teamster back than,and the union told the manufacturer that no Teamsters were going to have anything to do with them.
After that they just fadded away.

WOW RedRollingRoadblock how did you get your hands on this study?
I remember when the Teamsters said no Teamster drivers were going to be forced by any trucking companies to drive this new cab-under,but I had no idea they put this much interest into such a conclusive study?
I do know that almost every safety measure in the trucking industry today came from union interest in keeping there members safe.
Well thanks for all the information posted on the cab-under,this sure wasn't a very good idea for a power unit.
I know I wouldn't want to be that close to the road with a loaded 48 foot trailer sitting on my roof.