XPO | Change in bidding process? Please take the poll.

Should L/H and P&D bid opportunities be increased from once to twice a year?

• Yes to either nights/days and destination/start time.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Yes to only destination/start time.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • No, leave everything alone.

Votes: 28 71.8%

• Total voters
I can tell you that a person very very high up the Con-Way chain used to come here every morning for several years and read this forum and never made a post but he is not there anymore ... Your posts get read by people in high places on Truckingboards.

I was once introduced to Stotlar ( former CEO ) as highspeeds. I don't know how much weight XPO puts on this garbage. But all of the old guard knew all about this site.

Would you like to be able to change up your bid twice a year? What would that look like to you? Should we be able to change the first part of bid sheet between linehaul and city along with our destinations and start times in each category? Should we stay within our first category for the entire year, but have the bids opened up to changes in destinations and start times? Please take the poll.

I put no change. Enough is changing. People would only be complaining about everything even more. Just deal with it until the hammer falls. Hopefully, we all still have jobs. And if we don't, then it don't matter about bids any way.

Ummm. I think that is how bidding works, does it not?
No you could win and get the bid you want this year and next year can be bumped out of it by someone more senior when new bids are done. He's saying when a run comes open, whenever that may be, its posted and bid on by anyone that wants it. Senior man who bid for it gets it and then keeps it until he bids to a different run or leaves. whether that's 6 months from now or 20 years.

There are two ways to do a bid sheet, your way as in bid what you want and the other way as in bid what you know you can hold.

There's only one way to do it- the first way. If you just bid what you'll get, then you'll be shut out if they add a run/start time. Why would you do it that way?

Drivers spend so much time and stress trying to game the system and then they get bent when a junior guy takes the extra start time/ long run because he did it the easy way.

Annnd , stop making management work harder. More bidding means more work for management.

Why make management have to deal with this , right?

Who cares about management? (Yeah, I do know what you're trying to say.)

You'd be catering to the small group of guys that can't ever make up their mind. Senior guys wouldn't care, they're safe. Bottom guys are gonna be flex anyway. That group in the middle, though, has to deal with being uprooted multiple times throughout the year because people don't understand how JSP works? Seems reasonable.

I would like to see the bidding process opened up to twice a year. I picked choice 2
No! No! No! I sweat bullets waiting on driver ahead of me to bid!Barely enough room on LINEHAUL for me now! Start inquiring early. Hope to stay on nights /flex board every year. #1 option for sure.

we are actually lucky to bid yearly!!!!!!!!!!fed-ex you change your "bid"you go to the very bottom(could be senior guy at the barn,if you change from l/h to city,you go to the bottom of the city bids),grass isn't always greener,stay with what we have and be happy

we are actually lucky to bid yearly!!!!!!!!!!fed-ex you change your "bid"you go to the very bottom(could be senior guy at the barn,if you change from l/h to city,you go to the bottom of the city bids),grass isn't always greener,stay with what we have and be happy
I think the OP was speaking in regards to staying in P&D if you're there and linehaul if you are there. One board for city and road drivers has never really been a big arguing point - as far as I know.

I think the OP was speaking in regards to staying in P&D if you're there and linehaul if you are there. One board for city and road drivers has never really been a big arguing point - as far as I know.
what the hell are you talking about,then why bid?????????holycrap,if everybody is staying on the same fkn bid,jeez

as far as I knew they would go on the bottom for the 1st year then the following year if they bid the same they move into there senioty stop

I think it should be January you pick city or linehaul. Then six months later we bid a different start time or Fac only.
Hell no be a man and stand by you bid. We have LH driver that bid by mileage so a lot of the lower guy get the very short FAC. Well now we are getting more vias and running more mile then some of the senior drivers. They want nothing to do with that short 70 mile FAC run and took the 100 mile FAC run over it. Now the bottom of the LH board are running 200 to 300 most nights.

Hell no be a man and stand by you bid. We have LH driver that bid by mileage so a lot of the lower guy get the very short FAC. Well now we are getting more vias and running more mile then some of the senior drivers. They want nothing to do with that short 70 mile FAC run and took the 100 mile FAC run over it. Now the bottom of the LH board are running 200 to 300 most nights.
I like my bid. It would be nice to change my number one because they are in forcing cut times at FAC. I have a 207 mile turn and the guys with the 260 mile turn are getting back before me because of pures and dockworker help. I’m the one and only driver from my barn going to this Fac.

I like my bid. It would be nice to change my number one because they are in forcing cut times at FAC. I have a 207 mile turn and the guys with the 260 mile turn are getting back before me because of pures and dockworker help. I’m the one and only driver from my barn going to this Fac.
Cut times??? Those went out the window when we started leaving freight on the dock and the big wigs in sale started get phone calls

YOU BID IT!

what the hell are you talking about,then why bid?????????holycrap,if everybody is staying on the same fkn bid,jeez
Okay. Again , having one board for city and linehaul has never been a big issue as far as I have ever experienced.

Personally , because it's a yearly bid , I think it forces people to take the job selection process seriously. It's bad enough now that zero thought is put into what goes on. I favor people taking the job seriously and putting real thought into decisions that you make.

Okay. Again , having one board for city and linehaul has never been a big issue as far as I have ever experienced.

Personally , because it's a yearly bid , I think it forces people to take the job selection process seriously. It's bad enough now that zero thought is put into what goes on. I favor people taking the job seriously and putting real thought into decisions that you make.
I agree with thinking through your job selection, but I have seen some crazy things happen this year that no matter how well thought out a plan was for some drivers, their P&D times changed radically. I saw drivers who were starting at 1030 moving to 0700. At least at my place during the most recent JSP, managment handed out a pile of late city start times, only to 3 months later open up a bunch of early start times. What's a driver to do? If things are going to this fluid, why shouldn't the company offer a mid year bidding process to allow drivers to adapt to the changes in ops?

I agree with thinking through your job selection, but I have seen some crazy things happen this year that no matter how well thought out a plan was for some drivers, their P&D times changed radically. I saw drivers who were starting at 1030 moving to 0700. At least at my place during the most recent JSP, managment handed out a pile of late city start times, only to 3 months later open up a bunch of early start times. What's a driver to do? If things are going to this fluid, why shouldn't the company offer a mid year bidding process to allow drivers to adapt to the changes in ops?
It's been years ago and at least three TMs back for me , but a rebid should happen if you have big changes ( like you described ) in my case we rebid in October and then did the regular bidding again in November.

Also , FOSs and TM were told from corporate a few years ago that once the job selection process is done drivers start times can only be adjusted an hour either way.

This is where a CBA might be helpful. Each time they add/change runs, it triggers an automatic rebid. No jerking around. I’m in favor of the dual-board concept. You want line? Bid a linehaul time. You want city? Then bid that. Have the SCM set the start times for both boards, then release the hounds. If management wants to change a start time, rebid the boards. I always thought that JSP sheet was a cluster! 48 hypothetical start times per day?...are you kidding? Start with the top guy and work down. Simple Simon.

as far as I knew they would go on the bottom for the 1st year then the following year if they bid the same they move into there senioty stop
No at fedex, city and line haul are separate boards, if you go from one to the other you go to bottom and start over, company senority is only good for layoffs.