FedEx Freight | Change of Operations

Redracer3136

BANNED
Credits
Have any other centers had meetings pertaining to the upcoming Change of Operations??

We've been hearing that we (CLT/Charlotte) are losing 2 runs/2 drivers to GBO (Greensboro) and 1 run/3 drivers to GSP (Greenville/Spartanburg)...no word of us gaining anything, yet.

Heard nothing but I see a lot of changes coming due to elogs. Currently we are running a trial run CMH to ATL meet and we are moving the meet 20 miles further south.
ATL was stressed for time on old meet. No more creative logging. The is another run CMH to WME also being looked at to move.
I'm sure other centers will be doing the same

It seems the rumor mill comcerning the COO is in full swing...hearing today that HGR (Hagerstown) may lose runs/drivers to WCH (Winchester) and WME (West Memphis) may lose runs to MEM (Memphis), all due to ELD's.

Things are sure to get interesting...

Heard nothing but I see a lot of changes coming due to elogs. Currently we are running a trial run CMH to ATL meet and we are moving the meet 20 miles further south.
ATL was stressed for time on old meet. No more creative logging. The is another run CMH to WME also being looked at to move.
I'm sure other centers will be doing the same
Yes, we've been meeting at that location for years and it was said that a CMH driver came in and dropped at the fuel island this week!!! Luckily some of our guys know the owner and was able to smooth things over...how bout passing word along and ask the drivers to PLEASE not drop in the fuel island, would hate for everyone to get kicked out which "could" result in centers losing runs altogether due to no other viable meet point.

Yes, we've been meeting at that location for years and it was said that a CMH driver came in and dropped at the fuel island this week!!! Luckily some of our guys know the owner and was able to smooth things over...how bout passing word along and ask the drivers to PLEASE not drop in the fuel island, would hate for everyone to get kicked out which "could" result in centers losing runs altogether due to no other viable meet point.
Gotcha, but it's being ran with the extra board not the regular drivers. We where told to drop west of the cat scale, yesterday driver coordinator rode down with first run. I understand your grief with it being done and I'll pass the word Monday morning but I can't promise anything, I have plans of taking the first one if this goes through.

KCY has a lopsided meet with MSP because a driver dropped out in the fuel bay at a truck stop that was centrally located, c'mon people.

roog

Gotcha, but it's being ran with the extra board not the regular drivers. We where told to drop west of the cat scale, yesterday driver coordinator rode down with first run. I understand your grief with it being done and I'll pass the word Monday morning but I can't promise anything, I have plans of taking the first one if this goes through.
Sadly, it's not a very big truck stop to begin with. There are only 4 pull throughs to the right as soon as you enter the lot (behind the building) and they're usually full of 53's because those drivers can't back a trailer...which leaves us to take up 5 or 6 regular spots!! As you enter the truck stop, there's a curb to the left side where you can get maybe three trucks parallel and at least one truck on either side of the scale, otherwise your only option is to take up multiple spots.

If the company decides to keep both runs at the same location, eventually they're going to have to lease a lot for only our trucks to meet since almost every LTL meets there also.

Good luck if you end up on the 1st bid, depending on your arrival time it's possible we may cross paths one day...I'll be sure to look you up.

Have any other centers had meetings pertaining to the upcoming Change of Operations??

We've been hearing that we (CLT/Charlotte) are losing 2 runs/2 drivers to GBO (Greensboro) and 1 run/3 drivers to GSP (Greenville/Spartanburg)...no word of us gaining anything, yet.

An observation (1), and a question or two (2):

1) Seems to me, any movement of work (and/or jobs) out of CLT would need to be negotiated between the parties that be, since they are organized and represented.

2) Might the center said to have little or no leverage, suddenly have some leverage? What might be offered and/or required, in exchange?

The above seems obvious, even though answers to the questions are unlikely to be shared here. Certainly interesting to watch...

1) Seems to me, any movement of work (and/or jobs) out of CLT would need to be negotiated between the parties that be, since they are organized and represented.

2) Might the center said to have little or no leverage, suddenly have some leverage? What might be offered and/or required, in exchange?

The above seems obvious, even though answers to the questions are unlikely to be shared here. Certainly interesting to watch...

I believe this has been negotiated already. The first thing the union wants is "surprise surprise" the ability to take money out of the members paychecks. The company comes back and says we reserve the right for to run the company as they see fit. With the elogs and other changes in the trucking industry these new road runs must be made or laws will be broken putting in the company hands to run it right, leaving the union no ability to have any leverage on these issues.

I'll play along...(1) observation, (2) a question or three, (3) my opinion of course:

1) It's my understanding that the "movement of work" has already been decided but the "movement of drivers" still has to be negotiated...

2) What leverage do you speak of?? The "members" holding their own drivers hostage by not allowing them to "follow the freight" in order to negotiate something that they may want?? As shorthanded as we are in CLT, do you really think the company cares if the drivers stay or "follow the freight"??

(3) I think the "members" have underestimated the company's ability to stay multiple steps ahead of them!! :1036316054:

I still don't see any "perceived" leverage and I agree that no answers will likely be shared here, but it's fun to speculate none the less...

Sadly, it's not a very big truck stop to begin with. There are only 4 pull throughs to the right as soon as you enter the lot (behind the building) and they're usually full of 53's because those drivers can't back a trailer...which leaves us to take up 5 or 6 regular spots!! As you enter the truck stop, there's a curb to the left side where you can get maybe three trucks parallel and at least one truck on either side of the scale, otherwise your only option is to take up multiple spots.

If the company decides to keep both runs at the same location, eventually they're going to have to lease a lot for only our trucks to meet since almost every LTL meets there also.

Good luck if you end up on the 1st bid, depending on your arrival time it's possible we may cross paths one day...I'll be sure to look you up.
Isn't there a superwalmart next door that you can swap at??

Isn't there a superwalmart next door that you can swap at??
There is one there...not sure how big their parking lot is and if we could even use it.
The truck stop offers "reserved" parking for those who want to pay but only having 4 pull thru's probably isn't enough.

I believe this has been negotiated already. The first thing the union wants is "surprise surprise" the ability to take money out of the members paychecks. The company comes back and says we reserve the right for to run the company as they see fit. With the elogs and other changes in the trucking industry these new road runs must be made or laws will be broken putting in the company hands to run it right, leaving the union no ability to have any leverage on these issues.

Why is it that people leave out an important part of the negotiations? Yeah, the Company has needs/rights/positions. And the Union wants dues paying customers, for sure. But you forget about the DRIVERS, and their needs/rights/positions.

3 parties involved, not two. 2 are primary parties, one is secondary. You left out one of the primary parties...

Why is it that people leave out an important part of the negotiations? Yeah, the Company has needs/rights/positions. And the Union wants dues paying customers, for sure. But you forget about the DRIVERS, and their needs/rights/positions.

3 parties involved, not two. 2 are primary parties, one is secondary. You left out one of the primary parties...
I'm not sure I follow you...there are only two parties, the company and the union.
The union represents and speaks for the drivers yet the union always ask for their needs first before expressing the driver's wants...why is that??

I'll play along...(1) observation, (2) a question or three, (3) my opinion of course:

1) It's my understanding that the "movement of work" has already been decided but the "movement of drivers" still has to be negotiated...

2) What leverage do you speak of?? The "members" holding their own drivers hostage by not allowing them to "follow the freight" in order to negotiate something that they may want?? As shorthanded as we are in CLT, do you really think the company cares if the drivers stay or "follow the freight"??

(3) I think the "members" have underestimated the company's ability to stay multiple steps ahead of them!! :1036316054:

I still don't see any "perceived" leverage and I agree that no answers will likely be shared here, but it's fun to speculate none the less...
1) Are you CERTAIN anything had been decided? Is there not a direct correlation between work and jobs?

2) Leverage comes when one party need something. Often, the party that needs/wants will throw the other party a "bone", in exchange for cooperation. The value of the "bone" should be somewhat representative of the value of the need. Everything has a value.

3) I'm not going to get into the negotiation specifics and who has the upper hand. I'm not a party to that. But I'm sure there are lots of questions that would need to be answered, before a deal can be struck.

Just casual observations...

I'm not sure I follow you...there are only two parties, the company and the union.
The union represents and speaks for the drivers yet the union always ask for their needs first before expressing the driver's wants...why is that??
The Union needs are fairly limited, narrow, and easily met. The only difficulty is bringing the primary parties together.The Drivers and the Company are the primary parties. Their needs are more complex and negotiable.

We should all know this.

1) Are you CERTAIN anything had been decided? Is there not a direct correlation between work and jobs?

2) Leverage comes when one party need something. Often, the party that needs/wants will throw the other party a "bone", in exchange for cooperation. The value of the "bone" should be somewhat representative of the value of the need. Everything has a value.

3) I'm not going to get into the negotiation specifics and who has the upper hand. I'm not a party to that. But I'm sure there are lots of questions that would need to be answered, before a deal can be struck.

Just casual observations...
1) Not necessarily. The company isn't allowed to cut any jobs and by moving the runs no jobs are being cut, there will still be work for all drivers after the fact. Whether or not drivers can "follow the freight" is considered a "work rule" and that must be negotiated...

2) No, leverage comes when one party has the ability to get what they want without the other party being able to stop them. "Throwing a bone" occurs when the one with leverage gives in because the outcome is of no value to them, which gives the appearance of cooperation.

3) Not attempting to get into the specifics, just pointing out when one "thinks" they have the upper hand, "reality" usually proves otherwise.

Just stating the obvious....

The Union needs are fairly limited, narrow, and easily met. The only difficulty is bringing the primary parties together.The Drivers and the Company are the primary parties. Their needs are more complex and negotiable.

We should all know this.
Agreed...to an extent. The union's needs are fairly limited and narrow...it's money!! The driver's and the company's wants/needs are more complex and must be negotiated but the one with the leverage usually wins.

NOTE: agreed, the Driver's and the Comapny are the primary parties and that equals two parties, not three...the drivers and the union are one party.