FedEx Freight | Change of Operations

I've got you covered with backup. It's a better soda anyway. :1036316054:

d2ejCz2.jpg

Pfffft. Yeah...if I was to join Swamp and Red...:17113:

Details of the rumors seem necessary for this discussion.

CORRECTION: Should have typed "Details of the rumors seem UN-NECESSARY for this discussion". What a difference 2 letters make...
Again, the movement of work is "fine and dandy" because no jobs are being cut!! If jobs were being cut, then such moves would in fact have to be negotiated. The "following of the freight " falls under "work rules" and all work rules are currently being negotiated, therefor, you past practice theory doesn't hold water!!

Oh yes. As a theory, it certainly does hold water.

Are you saying CLT is working with NO WORK RULES? None, since they are being negotiated? That is most certainly not the case.

If you are, in fact, working under "rules", where did they come from? They came from the previously established rules. Past practice. The current rules, that (again) prevail until such time as new rules are negotiated.

This is why we are speculating about WHAT exactly is being changed. Certainly something that needs to be negotiated, approved, and agreed to.

Whatever it is, we'll find out soon enough. Either way, it's been relatively interesting to ponder the possibilities. Agree?

Last edited:
Ain't nothin' brokeback about my Dale Earnhardt collection of bottles.
That's senior by the way, not jr.

Dale Sr was a true Sundrop drankin' Carolina boy

ZjhDml3.jpg
I must admit, I've really come to appreciate the Carolinas since I started running down there. The weather in Charlotte is almost always WAY better than Toronto. It can be winter coat weather at home, but down there I feel like I ought to be wearing shorts.

Being down there this week was nice. What sucked was getting into Pennsylvania and discovering that New York had kicked semis off the interstates.

I must admit, I've really come to appreciate the Carolinas since I started running down there. The weather in Charlotte is almost always WAY better than Toronto. It can be winter coat weather at home, but down there I feel like I ought to be wearing shorts.

Being down there this week was nice. What sucked was getting into Pennsylvania and discovering that New York had kicked semis off the interstates.

I heard about the restrictions on the news. My first thoughts were "thank god I don't run the road anymore."

Hats off to you cowboys still doing it. Be careful hand and get back safe.

When you have some free time I'll point you to the best bbq we have to offer. By the way, if it ain't pork it ain't bbq. :1036316054:

I heard about the restrictions on the news. My first thoughts were "thank god I don't run the road anymore."

Hats off to you cowboys still doing it. Be careful hand and get back safe.
Coming from a Canadian, it wasn't really that bad out there. Maybe further east, but on the Erie side of the Thruway it was actually pretty clear. It was worse in Cleveland.

Ended up taking Route 20 to Route 62, and 62 up to Niagara Falls. Hopped on I-190 three exits from Lewiston and crossed back over. Took an extra 2 hours, but I got home.

Coming from a Canadian, it wasn't really that bad out there. Maybe further east, but on the Erie side of the Thruway it was actually pretty clear. It was worse in Cleveland.

Ended up taking Route 20 to Route 62, and 62 up to Niagara Falls. Hopped on I-190 three exits from Lewiston and crossed back over. Took an extra 2 hours, but I got home.

Good to hear driver. We got an inch or so of snow at my place Sunday in South Carolina. It was literally all gone and 50 degrees by lunch.

CORRECTION: Should have typed "Details of the rumors seem UN-NECESSARY for this discussion". What a difference 2 letters make...
No, you were right the first time...the details make all the difference!!

Oh yes. As a theory, it certainly does hold water.

Are you saying CLT is working with NO WORK RULES? None, since they are being negotiated? That is most certainly not the case.

If you are, in fact, working under "rules", where did they come from? They came from the previously established rules. Past practice. The current rules, that (again) prevail until such time as new rules are negotiated.

This is why we are speculating about WHAT exactly is being changed. Certainly something that needs to be negotiated, approved, and agreed to.

Whatever it is, we'll find out soon enough. Either way, it's been relatively interesting to ponder the possibilities. Agree?
Oh, how quickly we forget the past...

Now, we both know we're currently working under the same rules as you while ours are being negotiated.

The yearly COL raises are also considered "past practice" but they had to be approved by the "members" before the company could give them to us...the "members" could've easily said no, we'd like to negotiate for better. It's the same for "following the freight" when considering "work rules"...the "members" can easily say no, that still needs to be negotiated.

Now you're trying to lump in "moving runs" as past practice but here's where your theory has holes...1) moving runs is "management's right" and 2) no jobs are being lost!! In the past we've had cases where moving runs cost jobs had no one "followed the freight" and if that were the case here, I'd agree with you, but it's not the case...and I think we'll find the NLRB will agree.

I'm still lost on what you "think" is being changed??

Yep, guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks. The last 10 months have been interesting to say the least...92 days and counting, tick-tock, tick-tock...

Just a question Flyer couldn't you jumped over at Fort Erie and run the QEW ? been awhile since I ran up that way Just asking stay safe

Yea, it might be nice now, but come next month till October it's hot and muggy nasty ass weather

No, you were right the first time...the details make all the difference!!

Oh, how quickly we forget the past...

Now, we both know we're currently working under the same rules as you while ours are being negotiated.

The yearly COL raises are also considered "past practice" but they had to be approved by the "members" before the company could give them to us...the "members" could've easily said no, we'd like to negotiate for better. It's the same for "following the freight" when considering "work rules"...the "members" can easily say no, that still needs to be negotiated.

Now you're trying to lump in "moving runs" as past practice but here's where your theory has holes...1) moving runs is "management's right" and 2) no jobs are being lost!! In the past we've had cases where moving runs cost jobs had no one "followed the freight" and if that were the case here, I'd agree with you, but it's not the case...and I think we'll find the NLRB will agree.

I'm still lost on what you "think" is being changed??

Yep, guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks. The last 10 months have been interesting to say the least...92 days and counting, tick-tock, tick-tock...

The general theme of the rumor mill seems sufficient for this discussion. I get less and less comfortable, using details of rumors. Speculating in general terms is one thing. Defending unsubstantiated claims of others is quite another.

If you must know, first off, the rumors don't come from CLT drivers, but rather local road guys. The impression seems to be that the movement of work vs number of drivers moved is not consistent with past practices.

Local drivers claim, in the last "change" less workers were allowed to follow than the number of runs moved, due to "positions (work) still available" at the center. The concern is that more will follow the freight this time. Adding to the credibility is, as you state in the original post, more drivers than runs may be moved. This despite the fact that work and unfilled positions still remain in CLT. The list of internal career opportunities is said to confirm this.

Remember, the above is not my theory (or facts/numbers), but rumors. My speculation was that leverage may be available, where none was said to exist. Simply put, need of one side provides leverage to the other. Again, verifiable facts would be better, and will come soon enough.

The general theme of the rumor mill seems sufficient for this discussion. I get less and less comfortable, using details of rumors. Speculating in general terms is one thing. Defending unsubstantiated claims of others is quite another.

If you must know, first off, the rumors don't come from CLT drivers, but rather local road guys. The impression seems to be that the movement of work vs number of drivers moved is not consistent with past practices.

Local drivers claim, in the last "change" less workers were allowed to follow than the number of runs moved, due to "positions (work) still available" at the center. The concern is that more will follow the freight this time. Adding to the credibility is, as you state in the original post, more drivers than runs may be moved. This despite the fact that work and unfilled positions still remain in CLT. The list of internal career opportunities is said to confirm this.

Remember, the above is not my theory (or facts/numbers), but rumors. My speculation was that leverage may be available, where none was said to exist. Simply put, need of one side provides leverage to the other. Again, verifiable facts would be better, and will come soon enough.
Finally, it only took a week and over 10 post to get it out of ya but now we're starting to get somewhere...:poke:

Agreed...but unfortunately rumors and speculation is about all we've got at this point...except of course what was "allegedly" told at other centers.

That's why it's referred to as "following the freight" and NOT "following the runs"!! :1036316054:

Concerning the claims of local drivers, they're wrong, refer to the above statement...
Back when we lost part of our local area to GBO and HKY, more drivers were allowed to "follow the freight" than we were originally using to cover those areas and although the maximum amount of drivers did not "follow the freight", no one lost their jobs due to the fact that work and unfilled positions remained.

Verifiable facts, in the form of "past practice" will prove the term of "following the freight"...the number of drivers doesn't always match the number of runs moved, it depends on the volume of freight moved and how many drivers it will take to move that volume.
Again, when one "thinks" they have leverage, "reality" usually proves otherwise.

Why is there still no official announcement in CLT? Are we not speculating? Perhaps it's not such a "done deal", in part or in toto?
There's been no official announcement because we don't have meetings in CLT...except for maybe a quasi pre-shift here and there for city drivers. We get our info from Truckingboards, drivers at other centers, or the clerk at the convenience store across the street...and the clerk is usually the most reliable!!