TForce | Changes for the New Year

Changes for 2022

• Everything is wonderful

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Everything remains the same

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • It is an intolerable mess if it wouldn't be for the benefits I'd be gone.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I remain hopeful, but need to see something soon.

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crumudgeon

Guru of the Gobblydeguk Constitutionalist
PREMIUM
Credits
What changes have you seen? What changes would you like to see? Have you given up on anything changing at all? Please keep it civil, no names or viscous comments.

Even though I have been retired for a few months I still have an interest in my Brothers and Sisters' future.

1- Have yet to hear of any management axed.
2- Putting that brown torture device they call a seat in the new equipment.
3- The counseling, {harassment} of video images by people who have never driven a heavy vehicle.

Really, nothing.

The only major thing i've noticed is that we have earlier start times-----like 8a-9a vs. 10/10:30a like before. This makes a BIG difference; Less rushing, much less stress. And we get back earlier at a reasonable time.

1) We don't have an "outbound supervisor" anymore, which is just as well, as the dock guys can do everything efficiently on their own and usually seal it up well before cut time, so we never really "needed" an "outbound supervisor......". But this may only be specific to our terminal. This is not high up management as you were asking?

2) ?

3) This is a corporate-wide problem; These people would tell Orville Wright how to fly a plane despite: 1) He INVENTED flying and 2) the manager has never flown a plane in her/his life.......
It's very disheartening.......

The 65mph cutback i don't think is a good idea and i don't think would affect safety.

As i've said before, i agree with the off-site fueling because it cuts down on risk---environmental/leaking etc., despite the inconvenience. But we're only doing it like once a week.

Bottom line: i think this is STILL a good overall gig, AND compared to the other LTL companies, this one is on top: OK-to-good pay, good-to-very good benefits. Despite minor glitches, ok-to-good work environment.

CHANGES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE (but won't because we are a corporate mess.....)

1) Managers more in touch with driving and freight. That is managers should at least work the dock or drive for at least a few months before becoming full-fledged managers.

We are picking up heavier and heavier pallets, like 2000lbs+, THAT WE CAN'T MOVE OR DELIVER. How is this smart?

i don't know, maybe each terminal could have 1-3 electric pallet jacks parked in reserve, not assigned that can go out depending on if a particular route had heavier pallets? This requires managers to be more in touch with what the hell is going on "out there". What's actually going on, out on the street, at the customers. Maybe ride along with a driver and the MANAGER actually tries to deliver a residential while the driver "supervises......"

a) better equipment: You want to keep delivering Sunsetter? Well then we need appropriate equipment to move the long-ass tubes. This, again requires management to be in touch with what is exactly the situation involved here.....

This is why, while we vehemently disagree on many things, i actually TRUST General Mills' thought processes regarding freight more than most other high up managers because he ACTUALLY STARTED OFF AND WORKED ON THE DOCK.

2) i'm not sure what the law is on gliders, but i drove an older 12000 or 15000 series volvo last week with over 1 million miles on it and it ran GREAT. No DEF shutdown bull's hit. i'm not really happy with the newer equipment, but in all fairness maybe that's all we can get----we don't have as much of a choice these days?

MOre later.

We are sitting in what they call isolation. A client turned up positive putting about 20+ into isolation this week. 5 days. Whatever. Meh.

That also means no income trucking style. No work no money honey. That of itself is not really a problem however if the one Court rules one way then none of us will have clients at all if ever again.

2022 is fixing to be a hell of a year. Such as it is.

Even though I have been retired for a few months I still have an interest in my Brothers and Sisters' future.

1- Have yet to hear of any management axed.
2- Putting that brown torture device they call a seat in the new equipment.
3- The counseling, {harassment} of video images by people who have never driven a heavy vehicle.
I didn't realize you had retired already....I thought you still had a couple months......its a little belated...have a good long retirement brother, you deserve it....

There is about a dozen old iron trucks on the side of the freeway rusting quietly away, Im pretty sure that the economy being what it is you can ignore the 5 miles per gallon and a little oil burn for less of a hassle getting places with the trailer. They dont hardly have a computer to speak of and no emissions other than what was factory the day they were built. Your biggest issue would be preventing algae growth in your fuel systems.

Let's face it our service sucks! We don't manufacture anything, the only thing we have to offer is service. That customer that so many complain about writes the checks that feed our families. Management is our #1 issue many simply don't care about our customers nor about the service we're paid to provide others are simply to inept or poorly trained to do the job. Then we have dock workers who destroy freight with no consequences. Then we have drivers who complain about everything and do little to nothing to help out the next guy. UPS developed a culture of screw you and that culture needs to change. Take care of the coustomer and the coustomer will continue to pay.

Let's face it our service sucks! We don't manufacture anything, the only thing we have to offer is service. That customer that so many complain about writes the checks that feed our families. Management is our #1 issue many simply don't care about our customers nor about the service we're paid to provide others are simply to inept or poorly trained to do the job. Then we have dock workers who destroy freight with no consequences. Then we have drivers who complain about everything and do little to nothing to help out the next guy. UPS developed a culture of screw you and that culture needs to change. Take care of the coustomer and the coustomer will continue to pay.

Yes, my first night niteliner at grumpyburg i almost put a fork thru someone's leg! Then, a few minutes later punctured a case of beer. A dock guy was like, "Oh, just write it up as damaged."

No discipline. No consequences........

i can drive a forklift quite ok now, so don't worry about that.

1) Keep on with the earlier start times----like 8,8:30, 9a

2) Elimimate residentials OR have the customer fax or email return a signed form, provided by the company, that states "CURBSIDE DELIVERY ONLY." And further spells out that a driver MAY at their discretion push it into the garage. This could depend on the steepness angle of the driveway and if the homeowner will help push it etc.

Driver carries a copy of this signed document along with bills. This way if the homeowner tries to play stupid, you whip it out and say, "Sorry ma'am, but you SIGNED this agreement.........."

Last edited: