Central Transport | Chaos in Dallas

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
Complete integration done way too soon with not enough planning and structure. It is a total nightmare in Dallas....2 full trailers of freight with no pro numbers at all waiting for disposition all due to improper or no training at all on the handhelds. You hold a Saturday meeting for three hours of training on the handhelds and expect all the drivers to get it....What a joke...Right off the bat we are set up to fail. Now picture this.......No chargers in the tractors so by the end of the day your handheld is dead....Meaning that when you get into the terminal all pickups must be entered then...The CT route drivers are even amazed at the incompetence of management. But they are affected very little and just carry on with their easy P&D routes while we are stuck in total chaos. We are being treated like a stepchild getting bounced around from route to route or doing BS that no CT driver would do...Sticking drivers in different areas everyday so they stay lost all the time...looking for suites...bad addresses....backing into wrong docks....getting there during their breaks or lunch...All the things the regular driver would know and knockout in 5 minutes now takes 30 minutes....Dallas is off the tracks.

Complete integration done way too soon with not enough planning and structure. It is a total nightmare in Dallas....2 full trailers of freight with no pro numbers at all waiting for disposition all due to improper or no training at all on the handhelds. You hold a Saturday meeting for three hours of training on the handhelds and expect all the drivers to get it....What a joke...Right off the bat we are set up to fail. Now picture this.......No chargers in the tractors so by the end of the day your handheld is dead....Meaning that when you get into the terminal all pickups must be entered then...The CT route drivers are even amazed at the incompetence of management. But they are affected very little and just carry on with their easy P&D routes while we are stuck in total chaos. We are being treated like a stepchild getting bounced around from route to route or doing BS that no CT driver would do...Sticking drivers in different areas everyday so they stay lost all the time...looking for suites...bad addresses....backing into wrong docks....getting there during their breaks or lunch...All the things the regular driver would know and knockout in 5 minutes now takes 30 minutes....Dallas is off the tracks.

Sounds like a seamless transition just like Stamper said it would be. Almost reminds you of how CK would have handled it.

The gloves will come off this upcoming week depending on how it plays out.....I have defended CT most of the time but after being disrespected and spoke to in a condescending manner this past week I've had enough....This guy has the nerve to throw stones at us after the way he runs his terminal....OK......Two can play that game...I once used this as my signature......" Anything that keeps you from growing is never worth defending." I have become stagnated but I will leave emotion behind...I will speak only the truth and facts that I have been gathering from day one.

alot of the freight vitran hauled was low balled, c.t. will either dump it or charge more. i think most of it will go elsewhere once the rates go up. gm freight is really the main concern for them, the rest is secondary.

alot of the freight vitran hauled was low balled, c.t. will either dump it or charge more. i think most of it will go elsewhere once the rates go up. gm freight is really the main concern for them, the rest is secondary.
We were told that CT won't need all the drivers if we continue to lose business....Which of course we are losing business daily...We expect a layoff soon because of that comment and it is no surprise. They will start eliminated the fat in December and January and we expect 50% to be laid off as they determine who they want to keep. They will target the older drivers that they expect to hit their health care the most...Out with the old and in with the new....The young drivers move faster as well and are the direction they plan on moving. And you better believe the CT drivers will be secure...They will not go by seniority in this layoff process....This dovetail of seniority means nothing when it comes to layoffs....They will target only Vitran drivers.

overall vitran drivers have maxed out the pay scale and vac, we're older and will use the insurance more and also will take advantage of the matching 401k.

i have friends that use to work for c.t. in management and they said nothing good about the place. they always tell me that they're going to screw you over anyway they can, don't believe anything they tell you and get out asap. they've worked for other ltls and said that this is the worst by far. hang in there train.

We were told that CT won't need all the drivers if we continue to lose business....Which of course we are losing business daily...We expect a layoff soon because of that comment and it is no surprise. They will start eliminated the fat in December and January and we expect 50% to be laid off as they determine who they want to keep. They will target the older drivers that they expect to hit their health care the most...Out with the old and in with the new....The young drivers move faster as well and are the direction they plan on moving. And you better believe the CT drivers will be secure...They will not go by seniority in this layoff process....This dovetail of seniority means nothing when it comes to layoffs....They will target only Vitran drivers.
They won't get rid of only the older drivers. That would be asking for a class action lawsuit.

I don't know where you get your ideas. Maybe you're a city driver. Maturity is an asset for line haul.

This company would fight it tooth and nail with high powered attorneys just like Overnite fought the union with millions many years ago.....I am a city driver and they will target us...Line haul is an exception to some degree but not totally. If you could prove age discrimination you could file with the EEOC but that takes lots of time and many people don't have that....You know they work for a living. And I'm sure they would mix a few young men in to cover their ass....You sound a bit naïve but in this cut throat LTL business you need to remember its take no prisoners and all about the bottom line.

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't get rid of only the older drivers. That would be asking for a class action lawsuit.

I don't know where you get your ideas. Maybe you're a city driver. Maturity is an asset for line haul.

Filing EEOC for age discrimination takes 2 yrs, been there, done that and lost. Previous employers laid me off after recovering from an on the job injury as well as a few other drivers all the same class and job description. They re-hired some previously laid off people outside of the protected class the following Monday that I was laid off, lower wages and no healthcare. I filed the complaint for age discrimination and disability, the EEOC basically said they wrote a better letter even though they were found to be in violation. They told me to get an attorney if I wanted to proceed further. Non-Union company which does not pay OT for city drivers and operates pretty much the same way as CT. All for the company and nothing for the drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
everyone should just go at a slow pace, just enough to get the job done, and get what you can before you get another job or get on unemployment from lay off or fired. run route in order the way the trailer is loaded and don't stack anything during pickups.

I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking H.E>.........I really tried to stay positive but after repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall....Common sense is finally coming around...They simple don't care and this so called business model is flawed beyond belief. This model is in the middle of a complete system breakdown with this buyout....Minneapolis and St. Louis are in meltdown mode according to some of my PM's....Let the games and layoffs begin.

i prepare for the worse and then hope for the best, just do your part there and no extras. if you bust your arse they will just pile and demand more, it's a bad outlook but it's reality. this looks to be a reoccuring nightmare only with less return for us.

Got a couple of pm's from my guys in Dallas.....CT Dallas is forcing P&D guys to work the dock because they don't have P&D work....They appear to be trying to force guys to quit...Why don't they just go ahead and start laying off and stop playing games?....My boys won't be screwed out of their unemployment....We are so underestimated.

Laying down is a great option...they'll either fire us or fix stuff. It's a win-win.
If they were smart they would just go ahead and layoff and let guys get their unemployment...That is by far their best option. Can't they see that many are laying down right now.

Really bummed to hear all this. Being in a small little terminal, our growing pains aren't as bad, but I have heard horror stories from some A/C's. Have always respected your point of view train and you have been one of the more objective and positive influences on this board through all this. It's a shame it's going down this way.