FedEx Freight | Charlotte City Drivers Attention!

IMO, unions are good for employees but bad for companies.
FedEx currently operates at 87 to 89% (depending on who you ask), ABF operates at over 100% (they're acutually losing money), and Yeller is somewhere around 96-97%.
Why is that you ask? ABF & YRC are union, FedEx is not.
Both ABF (7%) & YRC (15%) have negotiated with the union asking there employees to take a cut in pay, froze their pension contributions, etc... Also, b/c of they're high operating cost, they've been unable to bid on new business or forced to shed existing business b/c they can't overcome they're labor cost disadvantage.
FedEx is currently non-union and we dont have these problems.
Yes, the unions have negotiated more pay and bennies for they're memebers but at what cost? They've caused the companies to barely turn a profit or even lose money! How much longer are ABF employees going to have a job when they continue to lose money? How much longer can YRC hang on only turning a 2-3% profit?
Again, I'll take a little less today in exchange for job security tomorrow instead of having the most today and not knowing if you'll have a job tomorrow.

So if a company is operating at a loss or only turning a 2-3% profit they are going to quit looking for new business & shed existing business. If that was the case every struggling business out there would be closing its doors. That just doesn't make any sense.

Brookford Mills, Hickory, 1950's or so made more money than anyone in the South.
Norma Rae's Garment or Textile Union was there.
How does this Yankee know this?
My fathers parents worked there.
Your blood stood up at one time.
Company housing isn't exactlly capitalism for everyone. Just for a few.
I geuss they wanted to be capitalists too.

My uncle drove big truck for UPS Parcel his whole life. His pension is around $3000/ month or so.
He drove out of Charlotte.
My father learned too make real money at Ford,, Mahwah, NJ which is probably in the NEW delivery area. He was UAW. He bought 2 houses of his own, finished paying off his parents house. Put down payments on 2 homes for my sister and cosigned my mortgage.
Pretty good for a boy from Hickory raised in company housing.
NEW is a letdown.
Stand and move forward.

FedEx currently operates at 87 to 89% (depending on who you ask), ABF operates at over 100% (they're acutually losing money), and Yeller is somewhere around 96-97%.
Both ABF (7%) & YRC (15%) have negotiated with the union asking there employees to take a cut in pay, froze their pension contributions, etc... Also, b/c of they're high operating cost, they've been unable to bid on new business or forced to shed existing business b/c they can't overcome they're labor cost disadvantage.
Yes, the unions have negotiated more pay and bennies for they're memebers but at what cost? They've caused the companies to barely turn a profit or even lose money! How much longer are ABF employees going to have a job when they continue to lose money? How much longer can YRC hang on only turning a 2-3% profit?
Again, I'll take a little less today in exchange for job security tomorrow instead of having the most today and not knowing if you'll have a job tomorrow.

To find a company that makes a nickel to 2 cents off every dollar, is more common nowadays due to several factors, I won't go into them we all know what they are.. And with freight levels so uncertain now, I don't see how they sleep at night.. Up and down all the time... Fuel prices changing, practically on a daily basis.. It would drive most of us nuts.. Let's just say, if we see our friends and family working in this business day to day, look up to the skies and thank God...

And the only thing you are guaranteed as a teamster is to pay union dues. You still have the right to VOTE NO.

paying union dues guarantees my right to vote on our contract.that is what i will pay dues for so my voice and vote is heard.oh by the way it's my money!!i'll pay dues or for a new heating pad for my cat,my money!!

My point was that I came to work at AF BECAUSE they were non-union. I could've had a job at Yellow in '94 but I chose AF instead. Now 20 years later they want to bring in the union. They have every right to try, and if they do suceed I have every right to remain non-union, I just don't believe we should, IMO, destroy a good company just because some arent happy. There are union companies out they that are hiring, why bring it in here?

the adventure of it.

You really don't have a clue.. Nothing you stated is accurate..What you should do is google something before you post it.. Most is something you made up on the fly..Only statement you mentioned that was true is your first one..
True
False, FedEx pilots are union and now there are a few terminals that have elected to be represented..
False,although your right on the 15% for YRC and 7% for ABF only YRC had their pension frozen but where you are wrong is that all YRC's troubles came from management when they went on a buying spree.. NOTHING to do with their union contracts.. Good reason why YRC has had problems is high interest payments and legal fees and then you throw in the stiff competition from FedEx and ConWay and they had no other avenue but to ask for givebacks.. And it was the UNION that saved YRCW.. And as far as being unable to secure new business?? Well your statement is just totally of the charts..
Hopefully not for long

Do you even know what the NMFA [National Master Freight Agreement]?? It brought truck drivers and warehouse workers into the middle class.. Something that even though thanks to our politicians the NMFA doesn't exist as it once did.. It is something that your pay is based on..
So tomorrow the guys in Charlotte vote and let them vote for what they believe.. whether they vote yes or they vote no let it be based on the truth..

I don't think I would have posted on a public site that I may resort to violence ("drop the people's elbow") as a no voter in CLT. We do have a workplace violence policy.

I agree, it's a secret ballot so those drivers, city and road, that feel they're being pressured by their peers to vote "yes", even when they don't want representation, it's ok to go behind the curtain and vote "NO"...your peers won't know the difference!!!

Like we haven't been pressured to vote no by the numerous FORCED meetings, and meetings given by LRI an anti-union business who is a third party HIRED by FedEx, that makes a lot of sense....

I think you're putting the cart before the horse! IF you get a yes vote, what makes you think you're going to ratify a contract? Overnite went seven years and NEVER got a contract! There is no UPS out there that is willing to swoop in and buy us up.....and don't even think YRC, they couldn't even afford to buy ABF when it was offered to them back in March of 2013! FedEx is a bigger company with deeper pockets AND every company speaker, including the CFO/Negotiator Don Brown has told you the company will NEVER agree to ANYTHING that's not in the best intrest of the company! What does the union bring to the table to negotiate with in exchange for whatever it is you're asking for? ALL they bring is YOUR job, which YOU already have, and the threat of a strike....and if anybody is dumb enough to strike without a contract that has a clause that protects YOUR job, then you deserve to be permanatly replaced with replacement workers!
As for me, what we've got may not be they best but I'm not willing to give up what I'VE ALREADY GOT in exchange for "we'll "TRY" to get you better."

This isn't Overnite, the only threat of a strike has come from the numerous speakers in our forced meetings... If you think we will be giving anything up, you definitely bought into the company fear tactics...

The attendence policy is pretty fair I think, you have to get what 5, 6 pts before they do something? Healthcare is no where near as bad as it could be. Take your $200 or so a month that you pay now to the open market and let me know what you can get?
No one is asking you to sit back....did you bother to talk to Dale Davis, Don Brown, or Pat Reed at the cookout last week?

Have a spouse with a terminal condition and you will see how sorry this insurance is........

Who posted the threats???
Here is the quote.

Again, I signed a card and I will be voting NO. I'll be happy to look anyone in the eye and explain why. No wet spots or streaks either, I just checked.
I will be keeping my word and do what I say I'm going to do...which is voting NO.
I've got my FedEx issued big boy pants on and not only willI be standing up for myself but I'll be standing up for my famly's future as well.

I just may have to drop "the peoples elbow" come Wed.

People, we have to remember, you can be PRO Union AND PRO Company.

A YES vote is a vote for BALANCE in the relationship. Nothing more, nothing less.

We may never get another chance to VOTE For BALANCE.

Like we haven't been pressured to vote no by the numerous FORCED meetings, and meetings given by LRI an anti-union business who is a third party HIRED by FedEx, that makes a lot of sense....
Don't forget a 3rd party with a CONTRACT. Why is it FedEx wants to sign a contract with everyone except the employees, upper management excluded. Also don't forget freight has already signed a contract with a union.

Don't believe that look at BNSF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing would make me happier or laugh harder than to see a news report about a driver arrested for workplace violence because he was running around dropping the people's elbow on the employees. If they had video doing of him actually doing it, I'd have a stroke from laughing.

Now it's be a different story if someone came into the shop and started throwing around Tombstone Piledrivers or Scorpion Death Locks. Pray to whatever God you believe in that no one shows up handing out Stone Cold Stunners. Because then it's all over.

Whoooo!

Charlotte drivers, 2 centers have voted YES before you. 2 are voting directly behind you, with over 2 dozen lined up to back you and announce in the days ahead.
You are in a strong position, with deep support across the contry. Unless we like the past few year trends, we need to vote yes. I know I will.