Central Transport | ...........chasing greatness ............

PITRAN HONKEY LIPS

TB Lurker
Credits
Vitran will host its investor conference call on Thursday July 19, to talk (discuss) the second quarter losses .. For all of you out there that have the option of sitting in on the call ( you dont have to be share holder) please do so and share your thoughts!!!!

Remember, we are all in this together. We are all responsible for the mounting losses.
AND WE ARE ALL CHASING GREATNESS ONE QUARTER AT A TIME...

thanx honky lips:):):)

I hope CK's next 6 months goes better than his first 6 has. Even after giving the benefit of the doubt, there is still a mountain to be done in what is actually a short amount of time.

Vitran will host its investor conference call on Thursday July 19, to talk (discuss) the second quarter losses .. For all of you out there that have the option of sitting in on the call ( you dont have to be share holder) please do so and share your thoughts!!!!

Remember, we are all in this together. We are all responsible for the mounting losses.
AND WE ARE ALL CHASING GREATNESS ONE QUARTER AT A TIME...

thanx honky lips:):):)
Sorry, I can't catch up with "greatness" when I
only do 61 mph....

I'd fall asleep with one of them 61mph trucks. How do you survive the night with all that boredom? My truck does 62 :hysterical:

Down south, ours run all the way up into the triple digits-62.5mph. I get a nosebleed on my way home every night!

what will they blame for the losses this time. my t.m. got a company wide email friday telling all t.m.s to get things straighten out or their jobs are on the chopping block.

I heard with the restructuring of linehaul they are going to be saving on over 5 million miles a year and over $3,000,000 a year on hotel costs. That seems like a lot of savings to me. Im trying to like at the bright side and im hope ck pulls things together. I know this week they are going to be focusing on P&D and in a few weeks there will be hand helds for the dock.

what will they blame for the losses this time. my t.m. got a company wide email friday telling all t.m.s to get things straighten out or their jobs are on the chopping block.

As they should be. I come from a smaller than Chicago/Indy size place, so maybe I am one sided with making changes, but we were all given notice 6 months (or so) ago when CK took over changes were coming, but sadly I have heard more than a few TM's have not worked to implement any kind of plans, now this last week they were in big trouble. For us, loads go out the same, maybe 85% actually makes sense due to only one way to run the route, but then the guys (and girls) that do metro seem to be zig zagging around the citys (we used to move skids, but since it became expected of us instead of just loading it correct on the dock, most of us follow the sheet) when we know this goes here and this there. Then there are also the select few of drivers who can't get with the program, something I expected the tablets to take care of, but not as of yet. Granted, you go on vacation and one day that week I do your route not knowing squat about your area and deliver in 6 to 8 minutes what takes you 25 EVERYDAY, then I am empty 2 hours before you usually are, something is wrong here people. If you were 10 to 15 that's fine, I am faster than most, slower than some, but when I can deliver 2 stops (including travel time) to your one, give them the pink slip and spread their wages around to the rest of us. Instead of standing there waiting on a forklift, I have it on their dock taking a pic before they even get there, they sign the DR, I say thank you or have a good day, then leave.

I am not talking working like a UPS guy either, just not standing around waiting on someone to do my job, there is a reason we are issued jacks. The tablets were also to track customers too, so if anyone who goes to an address spends 30 to 60 minutes, we know that customer is the issue, not the driver. The single biggest culprit (to me anyway) is pickups for meeting that 6pm cutoff. Most customers are working with us, now their 3 or 4pm call ins are closer to 12 or 1, but a few who just won't budge, they don't have to being some of my areas biggest back hauls for our P&D, they know we are not going to just say NO and come home with 2 skids instead of 20 to 30, and corporate needs to understand that 6pm and that is it will not work everywhere. If we can get our 7am back at 5, 8 by 6 to 730, we can get line hauls out by 815, but when most come in at 7 to 715, forget it, we need a small wal mart warehouse to stage loads, there just isn't enough room on our docks to service that many trailers all at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
at best, we have jacks for maybe half of our drivers and some of them are on their last leg. that cut off time is basically impossible at our terminal due to a dispatcher that runs you to hell and back along with accounts that get special privlidges. we have some city drivers that are in the 150 mile range when they're done delivering and some in the 250-275 mile range at the end of the day. several drivers have called corporate on this dispatching issue and some have talked to the t.m., but nothing gets done. i guess they're correction will be more cuts to the workforce. :shrug:

Seems to be the general complaint of everyone is dispatch, out and in. Granted it is easy to assume this and that, we are not in the office seeing what is going on, BUT, when you leave in the morning for an area all by yourself and see picks already on the desk, and do not see them on your tablet, sometimes you scratch your head wondering why it hasn't been sent to you already so there is one less thing to deal with later. My guy had a sick day a few weeks ago, so another supervisor sat in, we were getting picks BEFORE we even got to our first drop, when I called in and asked WTF, he said "they usually start around 9 or 10 so why not send them out and concentrate on something else" EXACTLY!! Blowing it way up, your based in Texas, drops in NM, OK, AR, MS, and LA. So, by the time you get to MS an OK pick is sent to you, BUT, you still have LA to drop, then, NM calls in and is closing at 3, but OK closes at 5, run back where you started, then back here, then over there............ that is the problem, no plan. Granted, NM may have not been ready till later, then it becomes a sales person's problem, they need to be encouraged to have it ready when we go through in order to be sure of a pickup. In trying to meet the 6pm ideal time, maybe it will end up we should not be obligated to do pickups not called in and ready by 2pm? It is a nice thought, but watch 25% of our freight going to someone else's terminal.

those after 2pm call for pickups is prob the only reason we have some of our business, it's not that they want to do business with us but the other ltls tell them it will be tomorrow and we say sure. that's another reason that 6pm cut won't work.

I know we got 2 away from Fed Ex due to cut off times, not big shippers, a couple skids a day, but they go real close to 2 of our terminals, so it works out good for us.