ODFL | Check your weight!!

Beeman

TB Lurker
Credits
I don't know what it is but lately we've had more than usual amount of over on an axle trailers. I would say that the slower it gets the worse people's work ethic and attitude gets and it's starting to show up. Last one we had was 14,900 frt. trailer and we were over on an axle. You can't ASSume by the weight on the manifest that it's light and doesn't need to be weighed. Beside just scanning the weights be sure the heavy trailer is in the frt. not just by paperwork but by the physical weight. We've caught a few of these and had to swap the set. They were hooked correctly as per paperwork but something wasn't acct'd for on the back trailer and it was heavier than the frt. Know what your truck with an empty set weighs and you can have an idea what you should gross before weighing.
Remember also that it's a little slow and they won't mind trimming a few employees on things that would get overlooked if it was very busy.
I saw a UPSF wreck theother day where the rear pup overturned with Haz-mat. the cargo was scattered and it was all 55gal drums of corrosive. There's a good chance from what is posted that the heavy trailer might have been in the back. You know that's going all on the driver.

CYA

Learned this the hard way 2 weeks ago Beeman. Trailer had only 16k on paperwork, but turned out she weighed a good 6k more. The tires or truck didn't even look/feel heavy to me so I went with the paperwork... then I hit the freeway scales. Luckily my TM wrote up the dock and isn't having me pay for the ticket. It was mailed off to High Point so I'm curious to see if they'll respond in the same manner and still take care of it for me.

Learned this the hard way 2 weeks ago Beeman. Trailer had only 16k on paperwork, but turned out she weighed a good 6k more. The tires or truck didn't even look/feel heavy to me so I went with the paperwork... then I hit the freeway scales. Luckily my TM wrote up the dock and isn't having me pay for the ticket. It was mailed off to High Point so I'm curious to see if they'll respond in the same manner and still take care of it for me.

I have had an IRF filled out and I signed it along with my supervisor and it stated that I was not responsible. I had the person that dispatched me from the terminal authorize that the weight was OK to pull. I don't move trailers unless they are weighed or OK'd.
With all of the weight tickets OD pays you would think it would be cheaper to install scales at more terminals and fix some of the ones that don't work.
I heard VA is upping their fines come first of the year so maybe the Northeast will get some scales at terminals.

The Brand new New Jersey Scales on I-78 are scheduled to open the first of the year. Except a grand opening ceremony to fill the back lots and empty the ticket books

The Brand new New Jersey Scales on I-78 are scheduled to open the first of the year. Except a grand opening ceremony to fill the back lots and empty the ticket books

Since the state's been crying the blues about money I expect them scales to be open all of the time and busy collecting revenue. They sure spent a lot of bucks making them look like a barn and silo. Jersey isn't what you would think of as a farming state though.

Since the state's been crying the blues about money I expect them scales to be open all of the time and busy collecting revenue. They sure spent a lot of bucks making them look like a barn and silo. Jersey isn't what you would think of as a farming state though.

It's not the Farming state, it's the Garden State

Isn't having a garden like farming.......:biglaugh:

Always

I have had an IRF filled out and I signed it along with my supervisor and it stated that I was not responsible. I had the person that dispatched me from the terminal authorize that the weight was OK to pull. I don't move trailers unless they are weighed or OK'd.
With all of the weight tickets OD pays you would think it would be cheaper to install scales at more terminals and fix some of the ones that don't work.
I heard VA is upping their fines come first of the year so maybe the Northeast will get some scales at terminals.

Always get a "approval to pull ".Another thing,make sure emptys are empty.If you can't see the nose at night,flashlight it.

Maybe them jersey scales will be filled up with all of them chicken haulers and maybe they'll have prepass and we can scoot on by and crawl up that hill going east bound?

scales

these jersey scales are going to wreak havoce on any company pulling doubles see how it is illeagal for a jersey truck stop to way doubles found that out the hard way last year went to three truck stops they will only way you if you break your set and way one at a time

these jersey scales are going to wreak havoce on any company pulling doubles see how it is illeagal for a jersey truck stop to way doubles found that out the hard way last year went to three truck stops they will only way you if you break your set and way one at a time

ILLEGAL? You're going to have to post a link for that law! Maybe they don't know how, but illegal?

Besides checking your empties to be sure they are empty check your loaded trailers to be sure they are loaded. I know that sounds ridiculous but it has happened. Seal wasn't placed on trailer, seal was in envelope with the bills and the dispatcher told driver to install the seal. Unfortunately the driver hooked the wrong trailer and installed the seal on an empty and pulled it a long way before it was figured out. There were a lot of people wrong on this one but you know who got the blame.

weight law

don't know where you would find this law but the truck stops said it had just passed and also called cat scale company and they confirmed it this was about a year maybe two years ago

They put a note on scale tickets stating "doubles are not certifiable" here in the MW at cat scales.