FedEx Freight | Chemical totes

We were also told recently in a safety meeting that the cost would be an additional $11 per placard. Using their figure, $44 per trailer, means it would still cost less than a cool million to outfit every trailer in the fleet!! We could even go a step further and say only outfit the "newer" trailers (say P30XXX and up for pups and whatever number necessary for vans) and spread that cost over time until the older trailers are phased out while eventually outfitting every trailer....just sayin'
Sounds reasonable to spec new trailers with them. To retrofit all seems like overkill, and still doesn't address the multiple UN# scenario. Still have to stock the stick-on numbers/placards. Now, city vans could be equipped based on local markets' need. They could add/retrofit multiple racks per van in required select markets.

I wonder what the up-charge is for typical HM shipments. Any and all additional costs would need to be recouped via HM pricing, I would think.

Sounds reasonable to spec new trailers with them. To retrofit all seems like overkill, and still doesn't address the multiple UN# scenario. Still have to stock the stick-on numbers/placards. Now, city vans could be equipped based on local markets' need. They could add/retrofit multiple racks per van in required select markets.

I wonder what the up-charge is for typical HM shipments. Any and all additional costs would need to be recouped via HM pricing, I would think.
Not looking to retrofit all, just start with the "newer" trailers and continue with all of the new ones. As for multiple UN #'s, I can only speak for myself but I can't remember the last time I pulled a trailer with multiple UN's...it's probably more common in the city and I agree that multiple placards could be added where the market dictates, but it's very rare for road operations.

Again, our stick-ons are kept under lock and key and are only issued to PT's...as they should be, we only use the cardboard slide-ins which are more reliable in almost every condition.

I also agree with the cost being recouped through pricing....at $44 per trailer, the added up charge should be pennies on the dollar.

wpEbksg.jpg

Big Daves trailer
No. That's my bathroom door.......:1904:

I have asked about this myself in the past and told they will pass it on. At $60 per pack plus the extra for the numbers and we go through an average of 1 pack a day it quickly adds up. At the very least we should do the local city vans.

The problem is that FedEx buys really cheap placards for the holders. I always asked for duplicates, but that doesn't solve the problem for guys who switch with someone who doesn't ask for duplicates.

It is possible to buy placards that don't wilt easily in the rain. I know because I've used them. My dad's solution back when he hauled paint for PPG was to make up rigid aluminum sheets that fit in the holders and stick permanent placards to them. If it's the same customer all the time, this is viable. Just switch them when you get to the meet for the ones FedEx gives you, and have some ready for the incoming trailers.

It's not cheap, and it's not the company solving the problem for you. But it DOES work.

The problem is that FedEx buys really cheap placards for the holders. I always asked for duplicates, but that doesn't solve the problem for guys who switch with someone who doesn't ask for duplicates.

It is possible to buy placards that don't wilt easily in the rain. I know because I've used them. My dad's solution back when he hauled paint for PPG was to make up rigid aluminum sheets that fit in the holders and stick permanent placards to them. If it's the same customer all the time, this is viable. Just switch them when you get to the meet for the ones FedEx gives you, and have some ready for the incoming trailers.

It's not cheap, and it's not the company solving the problem for you. But it DOES work.
That would only work if you ran the same UN numbers on a regular basis, we run hundreds of different UN combinations. I've had up to five corrosive UN Placards all with different numbers along with a marine polluntant. Also as much as our great trucks being down at the shop and then your driving a spare that has nothing in it for placard replacement.
All these band-aids is why we are not getting this fixed.
Just think the shipper gives only one set to the p&d driver that if there stick ons there distroyed after removing from there wagon. Say it's six totes going to six different locations. Well that's six trailers having to be placarded with duplicates Incase of a lost one. That is a huge waste

Oh how I wish I could post pics on this. I have a few but I seem to be a DA on this. Image URL and copy paste on a phone doesn't seem to work here.
Other sites I just get a message to go to gallery resize then post

Oh how I wish I could post pics on this.
5ebaLDu.jpg

I have a few but I seem to be a DA on this. Image URL and copy paste on a phone doesn't seem to work here.
Other sites I just get a message to go to gallery resize then post

Wasted 3 perfectly good placards to prove what??? You would be the meet driver to show up with something like that