Holland | Chicago brainstroming hiring meeting ?

wongway

-15% Yellow step-child supporter !!
Credits
So heard they are having a big Brainstorming meeting in Chicago on how to get Driver's to apply ?? Well here's a few clue's [1] pay raise, -15% back [2] our weeks vac. back [3] a matching 401-K [4] have a pay scale higher than non-union carriers [5] treat Driver's better . But that is the last thing they want to here are the facts on how to get Driver's to apply !! Greedy upper management will never learn !!:apologetic:

So heard they are having a big Brainstorming meeting in Chicago on how to get Driver's to apply ?? Well here's a few clue's [1] pay raise, -15% back [2] our weeks vac. back [3] a matching 401-K [4] have a pay scale higher than non-union carriers [5] treat Driver's better . But that is the last thing they want to here are the facts on how to get Driver's to apply !! Greedy upper management will never learn !!:apologetic:
Where over staffed on road now at certain terminals now. They just need to hire where drivers are needed. Some terminals are not even clearing their board now.

Where over staffed on road now at certain terminals now. They just need to hire where drivers are needed. Some terminals are not even clearing their board now.
City Driver's shortage seems to be the biggest problem !! -20 below loading docks don't help the problem !!

They refuse to pay veteran city drivers anything above rookie pay scale even though several other carriers sweeten the pot. So let the freight sit instead. Who would go there to work for sub-standard wages, and produce the same as anyone else, starting on day one? Not this guy. You have openings in my area all year long and can't fill the positions. I talked with two different people in H.R. just out of curiosity..........then laughed my ass off at their offer. Eff that.
Let the freight sit.

They refuse to pay veteran city drivers anything above rookie pay scale even though several other carriers sweeten the pot. So let the freight sit instead. Who would go there to work for sub-standard wages, and produce the same as anyone else, starting on day one? Not this guy. You have openings in my area all year long and can't fill the positions. I talked with two different people in H.R. just out of curiosity..........then laughed my ass off at their offer. Eff that.
Let the freight sit.
Agree Let the freight sit and that's just what is happening , as we have to empty out trap trailers just to get trailer's to use for the day !! and might as well LAY OFF SALES DEPT. to as why sell when we cant hire driver's to move it !!

They have already worked a deal with driving schools they send recruiters to location to recruit the top gun outta school, what's next require recruit to sign a 3yr contract like JB Hunt. Never thought I'd see the day!! YRCW ****ed this once great company up. Sad

Agree Let the freight sit and that's just what is happening , as we have to empty out trap trailers just to get trailer's to use for the day !! and might as well LAY OFF SALES DEPT. to as why sell when we cant hire driver's to move it !!
The fool's game plan requires re-handling freight over and over.......then they bitch about damages.
:duh:

They have already worked a deal with driving schools they send recruiters to location to recruit the top gun outta school, what's next require recruit to sign a 3yr contract like JB Hunt. Never thought I'd see the day!! YRCW ****ed this once great company up. Sad
Who would have ever thought the the former leader of the industry (Holland) would be so pathetic that they have to hire rookies and constantly advertise on Red Eye Radio. Hell, when I got hired, there was a massive stack of applications from people begging to get in there.

Sounds like the out come of the meeting ,was NO pay raises to get Driver's to apply , so come Monday just put extra freight in in the trap trailer's

Who would have ever thought the the former leader of the industry (Holland) would be so pathetic that they have to hire rookies and constantly advertise on Red Eye Radio. Hell, when I got hired, there was a massive stack of applications from people begging to get in there.

All LTL's hire rookies now. Holland has recruitment problems others don't because of equipment, etc.. The days of any LTL being able to cherry pick drivers are over.

The top flight LTL carriers aren't hiring any rookies in my area. They are simply baiting veteran drivers away from their current employer with high starting wages.
The rookies are all going to the carriers that are on the lower end of the pay and benefits scale.

I haven't seen many rookies hired, however many of the experienced drivers I have seen hired, can't seem to make it through probation. Not all, but many of them, and many experienced drivers hired at a Holland now have zero ltl experience. That's not necessarily a bad thing but ltl is a different animal.

LTL experience is definitely different than OTR experience. When an experienced LTL guy comes along, I would scoop them up long before a rookie or an experienced OTR guy. Right now the experienced LTL guys are a hot commodity.
Someone needs to let Holland in on that little secret.

LTL experience is definitely different than OTR experience. When an experienced LTL guy comes along, I would scoop them up long before a rookie or an experienced OTR guy. Right now the experienced LTL guys are a hot commodity.
Someone needs to let Holland in on that little secret.
I agree with the experience factor, but we have the reality of a contract with an MOU. There is also the fact that there aren't enough experienced ltl guys around looking to jump ship from their current freight company. That coupled with the fact that there aren't enough experienced drivers period, from otr truck load, or any where else to fill the void, which would allow any company to hire based solely on experience, be it from TL or LTL. We have to remember, most who enter this industry now, leave it within 6 months to a year.

Holland does have challenges others may not as far as recruitment, but we all started somewhere, and starting at Holland without experience, or with experience is still a good job for any driver who wants to work. May not be the best anymore, but far from the worst.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the experience factor, but we have the reality of a contract with an MOU. There is also the fact that there aren't enough experienced ltl guys around looking to jump ship from their current freight company. That coupled with the fact that there aren't enough experienced drivers period, from otr truck load, or any where else to fill the void, which would allow any company to hire based solely on experience, be it from TL or LTL. We have to remember, most who enter this industry now, leave it within 6 months to a year.

Holland does have challenges others may not as far as recruitment, but we all started somewhere, and starting at Holland without experience, or with experience is still a good job for any driver who wants to work. May not be the best anymore, but far from the worst.

This is my first driving job. I'm 24 and started here at 23. Like you said, given my experience this was better than starting at some of the mega carriers. My biggest complaint is the equipment-I've been in over 30 tractors since Jan 1 and each one I wind up in is worse than the one before. My dad retired from holland and I knew coming in it wasn't the Holland of yesteryear. They've got many areas that need improvement but I'm making out better here than say Swift, for example.

This is my first driving job. I'm 24 and started here at 23. Like you said, given my experience this was better than starting at some of the mega carriers. My biggest complaint is the equipment-I've been in over 30 tractors since Jan 1 and each one I wind up in is worse than the one before. My dad retired from holland and I knew coming in it wasn't the Holland of yesteryear. They've got many areas that need improvement but I'm making out better here than say Swift, for example.
You in a good spot at your age and running out of AT. #1 spot will be yours for a long time. Invest heavy in your 401k and use what we have left in pension as a match. Unless a UPS feeder job or freight gets their contract straight and run road drivers correct I would stay put here I know I am only couple years ahead of you.

You in a good spot at your age and running out of AT. #1 spot will be yours for a long time. Invest heavy in your 401k and use what we have left in pension as a match. Unless a UPS feeder job or freight gets their contract straight and run road drivers correct I would stay put here I know I am only couple years ahead of you.

Yeah, I came in at the right time. Atlanta wasn't hiring any road drivers for a while. I'm sure it was mixture of the previous TM overlooking apps and the fact that nobody wanted to come on as a road driver. I've got a few under me now, and senior drivers are retiring one after another.