FedEx Freight | Chicago Heights, IL has date with the ballot box

Can't speak for YRC or ABF since their futures aren't very bright but it seems UPS will continue to be the flag bearer for the teamsters....and as long as UPS continues to turn a profit, the futures for the rest of the non-union companies will remain high.

I would much rather work for ABF than FedEx. Your health insurance pales in comparison and they pay nothing for it. Sure the pension fund is in some trouble but how about the non union companies that once had pensions and had it completely taken away for good? You can still make a good living at ABF and wages and benefits will be negotiated in the future. You get what FedEx wants and thats it.
As for YRC, they are victims of bad moves by execs at the worst time. But, if the union stood up and closed the doors instead of giving back in order to save the company, you would be all over the place preaching how unions close down companies.
But in the future if YRC fully bounces back, they will be by far the better place to work at.

When the teamsters cease to exist, trucking will become a ten dollar an hour job with no bennies. Name another job that had the union taken out of it and the wages held up. I hope I am long retired when it happens. Thank you teamsters for all you have done. My dad was a teamster and we had it good. Sadly that day may come and my fellow fed ex coworkers will find out the hard way, then it will be to late.

Is it possible the unions run the wages/bennies higher than the market can handle? And then the bubble burst so the wages have to drop.

65k to 100k a year for driving a truck and being home everyday is more than reasonable.

The guys that roofed my house worked harder in 2 days than I do in a month. And I'm pretty sure they don't make anywhere near what I do.

Keep being greedy and I guarantee your kids or grand kids will be making $10 an hour to drive a truck.

Is it possible the unions run the wages/bennies higher than the market can handle? And then the bubble burst so the wages have to drop.

65k to 100k a year for driving a truck and being home everyday is more than reasonable.

The guys that roofed my house worked harder in 2 days than I do in a month. And I'm pretty sure they don't make anywhere near what I do.

Keep being greedy and I guarantee your kids or grand kids will be making $10 an hour to drive a truck.
You fail to take note of the qualifications required. Your roofer, likely does not qualify. Neither do MOST people.

You need to reap the benefits you can, due to market conditions, while you can. The market price for Drivers with your skill set/qualifications is on the rise. If the market for drivers goes into decline, you can be sure that wages will follow.

You do know without Unions the wages continue a downward trend as well? Who makes 65k as a city driver at this company?
Roofer stats .

3KeyzuF.jpg

You fail to take note of the qualifications required. Your roofer, likely does not qualify. Neither do MOST people.

You need to reap the benefits you can, due to market conditions, while you can. The market price for Drivers with your skill set/qualifications is on the rise. If the market for drivers goes into decline, you can be sure that wages will follow.

If I can live off of 90k a year now...why should I deserve more just because the company is in a bind for drivers or the company is making a profit.

I agreed to move freight from point A to point B for a set amount when I took the job. It seems a little shady to now tell the boss if you want me to continue to do the same job I need more $$$.

If I can live off of 90k a year now...why should I deserve more just because the company is in a bind for drivers or the company is making a profit.

I agreed to move freight from point A to point B for a set amount when I took the job. It seems a little shady to now tell the boss if you want me to continue to do the same job I need more $$$.

Quick, lay down play dead!!!

You just keep doing the job for the same entry wage, wondering why your wage has not kept up. After all you only agreed to that initial wage.

Do rocket scientists/brain surgeons need to make what they do? Likely not. Do they deserve to based on market conditions? Well certainly!

You do know without Unions the wages continue a downward trend as well? Who makes 65k as a city driver at this company?
Roofer stats .

3KeyzuF.jpg

I think with less demand for drivers the rate will go down. I think the union jus
You just keep doing the job for the same entry wage, wondering why your wage has not kept up. After all you only agreed to that initial wage.

Do rocket scientists/brain surgeons need to make what they do? Likely not. Do they deserve to based on market conditions? Well certainly!
The wage at saia has gone up both the years I worked here. And according to this forum Fedex has given raises the last couple of years.

The question is how much do you deserve to move the freight?

And I'm guessing the answer is "as much as you can get"

The thing is future generations may have to pay for your greed. Once the companies say "enough is enough"

If the company can make it on the hundreds of million they make why should they raise rates to make more? They agreed to move freight from a to b for an agreed on price.

When i started i agreed to 90/10 insurance at no cost should i not still ask for that????

The wage at saia has gone up both the years I worked here. And according to this forum Fedex has given raises the last couple of years.

The question is how much do you deserve to move the freight?

And I'm guessing the answer is "as much as you can get"

The thing is future generations may have to pay for your greed. Once the companies say "enough is enough"
If the company can make it on the hundreds of million they make why should they raise rates to make more? They agreed to move freight from a to b for an agreed on price.
But if they try to charge more than the customer is willing to pay they will lose business.

They have to be able to stay competitive in order to stay in business.
How many jobs has the auto industry lost in the last 15yrs? High labor cost is a big part about why businesses have to go elsewhere in order to stay competitive. They aren't running joes bar and grill charity. If they can get someone to do your job for 1.25 why should they pay you 1.50

I know if I can get a burger at Reds bar and grill for 1.25 I'm damn sure not going to Joes where it cost 1.50 and all the waitresses are grumpy old men.

I'm sure no one is going to change anyone's mind on this matter. But for the guys that walk around pissed off all day because they have to pay part of there health care at Reds bar and grill....Just remember Joes bar and grill has free health care but they still have just as many pissed off workers if not more. And Reds is growing while Joes is falling apart.

But if they try to charge more than the customer is willing to pay they will lose business.

How many jobs has the auto industry lost in the last 15yrs? High labor cost is a big part about why businesses have to go elsewhere in order to stay competitive. They aren't running joes bar and grill charity. If they can get someone to do your job for 1.25 why should they pay you 1.50

I know if I can get a burger at Reds bar and grill for 1.25 I'm damn sure not going to Joes where it cost 1.50 and all the waitresses are grumpy old men.

I'm sure no one is going to change anyone's mind on this matter. But for the guys that walk around pissed off all day because they have to pay part of there health care at Reds bar and grill....Just remember Joes bar and grill has free health care but they still have just as many pissed off workers if not more. And Reds is growing while Joes is falling apart.
The Perception is that FEDEX offers a superior product (service), via a superior workforce. That workforce is required to have the highest qualifications and standards.

In order to maintain that high quality workforce, eventually FedEx will have to offer a competitive compensation package. That package will have to become more competitive going forward due to the driver shortage, unless FedEx chooses to lower their standards. If they choose to go that route, how long will those customers remain, and tolerate a "lesser" perceived product value?

There are not a lot of people like you VT, who PRIDE themselves on working for the lowest possible price, for a customer (fedex) who demands the highest performance. Common sense says there must be a mid-high market price paid if one truly desires TOP SHELF workers/products/services.

It is all about balance. Fair market wage, for a superior product is fine. Trying to pay the minimum is risky, over time. Capitalism will correct (one way or the other). Supply and demand will determine price. Oh, and those shareholders... they prefer consistency over turmoil. Again, balance in the equation is a must.

Number one if all the waitresses at Joes Bar and Grill were grumpy old men they would be waiters.
Number two if the burger was a better quality burger I would have no problem paying more.
See where this is going?

The Perception is that FEDEX offers a superior product (service), via a superior workforce. That workforce is required to have the highest qualifications and standards.

In order to maintain that high quality workforce, eventually FedEx will have to offer a competitive compensation package. That package will have to become more competitive going forward due to the driver shortage, unless FedEx chooses to lower their standards. If they choose to go that route, how long will those customers remain, and tolerate a "lesser" perceived product value?

There are not a lot of people like you VT, who PRIDE themselves on working for the lowest possible price, for a customer (fedex) who demands the highest performance. Common sense says there must be a mid-high market price paid if one truly desires TOP SHELF workers/products/services.

It is all about balance. Fair market wage, for a superior product is fine. Trying to pay the minimum is risky, over time. Capitalism will correct (one way or the other). Supply and demand will determine price. Oh, and those shareholders... they prefer consistency over turmoil. Again, balance in the equation is a must.
How do you think OD got to where they are today? Absolutely the best product out there today in this market. Culture is the driving force that built such an exception product. OD doesn't pay OT. Their healthcare is about the same as yours. Rate of pay about the same. Your guys product is no better than Old Dominion's .... I don't hear them trying to bring the Union in. I wonder why that is? And exceptional product Union free. Built by guys that think they are getting a pretty good deal. Strange concept to some I suppose.

Seems at our center the lower pay has some consequences the new hires bring backs stops every day that senior drivers would have got done.

You act as if driving a truck requires the same skills as a brain surgeon...they don't...at the end of the day we're just truck drivers...or as the shinny wheels like to call us, steering wheel holders...we're not exactly at the top of the list when it comes to respected professions...and the skills required to become a truck driver aren't that stringent either.
Yes there's a driver shortage, albeit a small one in the LTL industry, buts it's not because people don't/can't qualify, but more because the younger generation isn't being steered toward this profession. Most see truck drivers as a low scale profession, it's not exactly being pushed at the high school/college level. How many times have we heard of a truck driver showing up for career day at any local school? When you're out in public, at a social event, etc...and tell someone you're a truck driver and watch their reaction, they're not as impressed as if you would've told them you were and architectural engineer or an astrophysicist...just sayin'.
I'll have to disagree with your assessment that wages will decline if the supply of drivers goes up, companies will have to still pay competitive wages in order to retain the best drivers, otherwise the best drivers will go where the money is....unless you're a FedEx driver, for some reason they like to complain but they refuse to leave for greener pastures...must mean FedEx is doing something right!

You act as if driving a truck requires the same skills as a brain surgeon...they don't...at the end of the day we're just truck drivers...or as the shinny wheels like to call us, steering wheel holders...we're not exactly at the top of the list when it comes to respected professions...and the skills required to become a truck driver aren't that stringent either.
Yes there's a driver shortage, albeit a small one in the LTL industry, buts it's not because people don't/can't qualify, but more because the younger generation isn't being steered toward this profession. Most see truck drivers as a low scale profession, it's not exactly being pushed at the high school/college level. How many times have we heard of a truck driver showing up for career day at any local school? When you're out in public, at a social event, etc...and tell someone you're a truck driver and watch their reaction, they're not as impressed as if you would've told them you were and architectural engineer or an astrophysicist...just sayin'.
I'll have to disagree with your assessment that wages will decline if the supply of drivers goes up, companies will have to still pay competitive wages in order to retain the best drivers, otherwise the best drivers will go where the money is....unless you're a FedEx driver, for some reason they like to complain but they refuse to leave for greener pastures...must mean FedEx is doing something right!

1st: Public perception has zero impact on wages, or anything to do with this topic. Respected or not. supply and demand effect price. Strippers and hookers might be an example of an occupation with a low level of public respect, but when there is little supply, the price goes up. Too much supply, the price goes way down. Let's not discount quality in this analogy...

2nd: Too many drivers available with decreased demand certainly effects wages over time. "Competitive wage", becomes less relevant in such a market. We have seen this in the past, Red. FedEx has capitalized on such market conditions in the past, just like every company in the industry. Wages may not go down but they most certainly stall/stagnate, as do working conditions. Simply undeniable.