Yellow | Chicago ridge reopening!

21 years here
Here was that post I wrote so you wouldn't have to find it.I know it's totally about your comment towards the top of this page. But considering all in all Holland is doing fairly well.

Yellow who, Just a couple things I want to mention about Holland and some facts and thoughts.
I do remember some kind of Change of Operation that had Holland included in it. Maybe somewhere in the time frame of before 2009 may be was in 08 then. Anyway's Kansas City really screwed up. I don't remember details of the Coo. but I did find out that K.C. notified Holland leadership and told them to go back and do what you do best. And simply cancel that coo that pertained to you.

Don't really know about your above post though.

I may ruffle some Holland feather's here, but this is
what I do know. Back in 2008 and very possible sooner & later than that. There was pallet freight being diverted over to Holland from YRC freight div. At least in Ill. A good friend of mine's brother is a driver there with quite a few year's under his belt. As you can remember 2008 the economy was not good. I would imagine Ill. was not the only state either. Though it may not have been enough to stop everyone there from being laid-off, it had to help in some degree and Holland's bottom line till things got a little better. YRC had no intent on closing them. As far as your ref: closing them,white paper agreement's and such you do not need to mention because all of us here in Chicago were under that, so I know what you mean.

Back in the early 80's, Holland was the king of regional's,the Cadillac Company. Nobody could touch'em.Some of their major account's were the Detroit automaker's if I recall. But when car sales dived in the later year's it did put a big hurt into Holland.

Now how about some old factual event's that took place in my legacy co. But we can even put Roadway in here as well as example. And Hanalad just put up a recent post talking about double-breasting,however mine below is of the same nature,but would be Union and make us really wonder if the Union would have allowed this BELOW and What would it be like today ?????????

Back in 1992 or 93 I think it was, G..Powell III wanted to get into the regional market as he saw great opportunities
for that serv. Back then the business environment was: the 2 tier wage scale was being used all over. I even believe new-hire pilot's in some major airlines had it. There was this Japanese business concept if I remember took off about rolling inventories. So companies didn't have to warehouse so much and pay taxes on it and just in time. Ron Carey was the Pres. of the IBT& ex. UPS employee. Now it's been a long time so my timelines may be off. Powell expressed that interest to Carey and posted a video for all the employee's to view giving his reason's and how it would benefit us,the company and the Union going forward. In it he said, that this would create thousands of new hire's. He needed some work rule changes and the starting pay for new hire's would be lower but within four years would be up to full scale. I can't remember the start amount an hour. His reasoning seemed to be appropriate considering the present business climate at that time. As he did not stress much about the work rule changes at that time, we did find out he wanted a cdl qualified dockhand that could jump in a truck and run the freight to the next state over to meet cust. service times. Most employee's at the time were saying no-way,some shrugged either way. Myself, being younger and a radical guy like yourself (LOL! just kidding). I was leaning on the no-way side as well. But the biggest thing that I did like what Mr. Powell, said was: We will move this freight with OUR trucks (meaning the swamp Holly orange one's). All new hire's will be Teamster's. There would be NO separate non union entity at all. Hanging around some of the old timer's back then, and whenever they spoke I would always' listen. As this is how we younger guy's learned thing's. Some felt mixed about it, other's no because they didn't want to be up on the dock loading a trailer. But, these issues were still not even brought to the Union yet so really none of us knew just how it would play out yet.

Mr.Powell did not specifically say, I have Holland in my cross hairs on his scope. But showing their revenue's and all the number and dollar's about Regional Frt. for comparison. You knew he wanted to go head to head with them. When Saia was acquired he did expand that company into more states. Saia was doing well for Yellow in general. They were more concentrated to the South. He was looking at all of the Midwest and probably east. Well if I remember correctly, this never even got off the ground. IBT. Carey said NO. In the rumor mill back then and you know as well as I, with truck driver's how that can be!! Word was going around that UPS was concerned that it may in fact hurt them a little bit depending on what weight Yellow was going to go with with this new serv. Another rumor, Carey's somewhat loyalty to UPS and mgmt. These two rumor's I do remember,if more I do not recall.

IMO: No matter my co. or your's because both are the largest,geographic's terminals and can discount more easily than the smaller co's. We would have literally wiped Holland off the map. Like an exterminator. I know Holland was Union all along, but I am just say-in.

Looking back at it now, and in regard's of the event's of the last 8 to 10 year's. FACT, we have had utility driver's (classification). Similar possibly to what Mr.Powell envisioned and maybe to a lesser or more degree?
Both our companies have bought non-union co's,Regional & Truckload (ex:Glenmore) and set-up holding companies for them. FACT
Our legacy names are not on them trucks.
Our companies achieved Mr.Powell's goal anyway's. And it did create thousand's of new job's,as he said. But a lot of them now are NON-UNION. FACT

(HYPOTHECTIALLY speaking as WE will never know)

If this did have Carey's blessings and it took off well for Yellow, would this been a trend setter for other companies like Roadway,CF & ABF to follow ?

With some co-operation,and convincing of the IBT. to mgmt. (if in fact the above was working out very well) would that have dampened the effect of Double Breasting,which would have led to thousand's of more Union job's,pension and due's money ?

Would this actually save money to the bigger co's. So they would not have to spend the cash outlay for initial start-up and many more properties ? And quite poss.the Union getting that just little more at contract time for the worker's?

Would this not made the big four even bigger,there-by possibly slowing down the opening of newer union smaller companie's that only lasted long enough to create more of an orphanage problem to the Pension Funds ?
***Chicago People-remember 47th.Street the amount of companies that closed up.***
And if it was successful and a trend setter, would it give the bigger companies and the IBT. even more a bigger voice in the halls of Congress? UPS's is fairly quite large.

team, Welch made a major improvement by firing that dead weight fool Smid in his first month and replacing him with Rodgers, a freight man. The big problem I have with Welch and crew is the bonuses they took shortly after they were appointed, while we still work under concessions. Any improvement Welch makes will take time, the company is lucky to still be here today all in thanks to the Great Million Zollars. Rememeber every year under Zollars we were all going out of business at years end, I didnt hear any of that talk this year.. That in itself is an improvement..

UH! OH! Do I hear a faint drumbeat from my Native tribesman !!! LOL!!! How ya Do-IN Hope all is well, just say-in HI.

LOL fly, man I quit playin the drums some 30 years ago whe I found out how expensive they were and beer was cheaper.. Are you name droppin again fly?? Lol,, I worked with a guy whose sister worked in some form with Stifel Nichlas, he would tell me about this David Ross, from reading his articles 4 years ago about YRC he was not a fan of Dollar Bill, he to if Im not mistaken had us for dead about a year after that blundered merge. Zollars was good at dancin with the banks and thats about all he as good for,, I still recall the financial message boards called Zollars a spin doctor.. As for a Holland change like Ive said earlier, there was one terminal I know for sure that was closed around the 08-09 timeframe, not sure if all the men got to follow the work, but 1 of the men in Toledo made it with 5 years seniority.. As for the YFS/Roadway merge, I dont know what they were tellin you guys at the time of the buy-out, but I still hear my former TM saying that there would never be a merge,, yea right like none of us ever seen this coming..

can we be realastic had zollars not wasted yellows money buying roachway and holland they wouldve gone out of bussiness anyway both companies had nothing but junk you dont even see the roadway dollys or pups anymore cause they were such pos after a while you get sick of hearing how great roachaway and holland were that being said if you hate it so much quit and go work somewhere el
se bitcdhin all the time will not change a thing its never going to spilt its one company now

bought with bank loans not yellow cash they didn't have any.