Chicago's Union

Credits
Way to go to everybody at 37! Congradulations on the acceptance of the union to your terminal. Also, congradulations on not getting anything you wanted in your contract. And congradulations on loosing 3/4 of you weekend work to eastern. Boy, you guys really made out good on this deal and showed the company and Mike S. who's boss. You were warned and now you're scrwed!

Could you elaborate on that? I'm curious as to what happened there...

All of the western expansion terminals for NEMF were opened as non-union, a few of the uninformed thought they could try to bully the company by voting in a union that the owner has in his back pocket. They didn't realize how good they had it but they will soon find out, now that they're wanna be machinist.

The man asked you to elaborate and you just continued to rant, without explaining what you are talking about. I would love to hear what you say the people lost or gave away first, then I will explain to you what they gained.
Again, please specify what your complain here is.:Poke:

They went to the table with a list of things they wanted. How many did they get, none. Please tell me what they gained, job security right. They gained a union to protect them when they wreck a truck because they weren't paying attention to the road and it was obviously their fault. In the early and mid parts of the 20th century the unions did a lot of good. Today they protect the lazy, trouble maker worker. If you go to work and do your job for the most part you will be fairly compensated. A man has a right to run his company as he see's fit. If you don't like it you have the right to seek different employment. You guys in the east have your established union and are working with it. The guys in the west have been greatly misinformed. If they think they are going to make the company do ANYTHING they don't want to do you're worng. That terminal will be shut down so fast it will make your head spin.

Ok thank you for explaining your feelings to us, which you are entitled to.
What did they get in Chicago you ask? They didn't get anything they asked for you say? I think that the men in Chicago have the right to ask for anything and the owner of the Company has the right to say no. This is an over-simplification of course, but I will explain what they got.
1.) Health Insurance cost locked-in for a five year period
(no annual increase in the payroll deduction)
2.) A start in a real defined benefit Pension that is completely Employer
funded (no deduction out of your weekly paycheck like a 401K). The
Pension Fund we are talking about is currently ranked the 5th best in the
country and is 113 % funded.
3.) New employees, working up to the time of the signing of the Contract
(other than the founders) are in a four year progression until they get to
the top rate. These people will get a progression raise on the anniversary
of their hire date each year, until at top.
4.) Promised contractual raises, in-writing, that will not be reneged-on
5.) Dental Insurance (that they did not have)
6.) An Optical Plan (that they did not have)
7.) Someone to be your advocate in a time of need. Not everyone deserves
to be fired or disciplined for everything that happens, because sometimes
managers make a snap decision without looking at all the surrounding
circumstances.

The Machinists Union does not dictate to the Employer how he will run his business, by creating a one-size fits-all Contract, then forcing it on everyone.
Rather, our Union attempts to create an Agreement that the Company can live with, that best suits the needs of the workers at a specific job site. All of the individual Terminal Contracts with NEMF, reflect the concerns of the workers at each job site, as best they can.
The Union is not a Junkyard Dog to be set upon the Employer each time a worker doesn't get his way. However, if it is obvious that an Employee's Contractual Rights are being violated; the Union will make sure that the workers are properly represented.
If you are working in the Chg Terminal, I hope that you will come to see the value of your Union membership over time. Good luck to you Brother.:1036316054:

Way to go to everybody at 37! Congradulations on the acceptance of the union to your terminal. Also, congradulations on not getting anything you wanted in your contract. And congradulations on loosing 3/4 of you weekend work to eastern. Boy, you guys really made out good on this deal and showed the company and Mike S. who's boss. You were warned and now you're scrwed!

Not to mention they slashed line-hauls breakdown and delay pay by 50% Way to go! :1036316054:

Not to mention that Eastern now gets priority on loads... meaning they get loaded before Chicago drivers and we all leave later now! :1036316054:

All hail the Polish mafia that voted this thing in :chairshot:

I get so sick of hearing all of these people who have never been in a union, talking about things they dont know anything about. In particular how the union protects lazy people. There are lazy people working for every company. I do think they should not be there but thats just the way it is. And on the other side there are just as many jerks for management. The honest hard working guys need protection from them. So the way I see it, its an even playing field, a few lazy workers on one side and a few jerks on the other side. The way I see it, if you hate the union so bad, go to a company who doesnt pay as much and has less benefits and has no union. For some reason people like you always think working people should not stick together to try to better them selves, but for some strange reason I never hear you complaining about doctors and management types who stick together to keep their income and benefits up to an ungodly amount. Why is it so terrible for a working person to try to have good benefits and make a decent wage? And no, all accidents are not preventable. Every accident is different. Thats like saying all cops are mean, or all teachers are jerks, etc . So thats not even a logical thing to say.

I get so sick of hearing all of these people who have never been in a union, talking about things they dont know anything about. In particular how the union protects lazy people. There are lazy people working for every company. I do think they should not be there but thats just the way it is. And on the other side there are just as many jerks for management. The honest hard working guys need protection from them. So the way I see it, its an even playing field, a few lazy workers on one side and a few jerks on the other side. The way I see it, if you hate the union so bad, go to a company who doesnt pay as much and has less benefits and has no union. For some reason people like you always think working people should not stick together to try to better them selves, but for some strange reason I never hear you complaining about doctors and management types who stick together to keep their income and benefits up to an ungodly amount. Why is it so terrible for a working person to try to have good benefits and make a decent wage? And no, all accidents are not preventable. Every accident is different. Thats like saying all cops are mean, or all teachers are jerks, etc . So thats not even a logical thing to her aresay.
Awesome sombody else understands.
No the union is not perfect but neither are we. It's always the driver's fault when there is a problem. At least there is now a discussion with guidelines and some protection before a person trying to pay his or her bills just gets fired. Also the pension is very good.