TForce | Christmas pay is a scam

Overnite

TB Veteran
Credits
I think I have this christmas pay figuired out, the email that was passed around is used to scare people into using a vacation day or discretionary day on friday, alot of people will do this and there the ones who are gonna get screwed, they will be paid wednesday thursday and friday, but will be out of a vacation day.

I am gonna file a grievance on the guaranteed 40 hours rule and be paid wednsday thursday and friday, and cash out my discretionary days.

Don't fall for this trap.

Holiday pay

I think I have this christmas pay figuired out, the email that was passed around is used to scare people into using a vacation day or discretionary day on friday, alot of people will do this and there the ones who are gonna get screwed, they will be paid wednesday thursday and friday, but will be out of a vacation day.

I am gonna file a grievance on the guaranteed 40 hours rule and be paid wednsday thursday and friday, and cash out my discretionary days.

Don't fall for this trap.
Be crefull. Article 18 section 2 90% fof the full-time employees holding bid jobs will be guaranteed a minimum of 8hrs pay per day WHEN PUT TO WORK and the standard workweek shall be 40hrs per week. Where we might have them is the next sentence, Work shall be scheduled for 5 consecutive days Mon - Fri or Tues - Sat.

In regards to not wanting to pay us for the Christmas holiday:
First off, we have to see if this becomes reality.
Our TM said this was not a "definite" "Set in stone" decision to not pay us if we do not use Paid time on friday.
We have a big big meeting on this next week, which in my opinion, is the biggest waste of time to discuss something so scrooge like.

Our TM said he would like to see us get paid and use "lack of work/excused unpaid absence" to get us paid for the holiday but the UPS lawyer loophole finder is hovering over one word in the contract to try and stick the candy cane in our arses.

If this indeed flies, than I agree, this is another way to burn off our paid days.

Be crefull. Article 18 section 2 90% fof the full-time employees holding bid jobs will be guaranteed a minimum of 8hrs pay per day WHEN PUT TO WORK and the standard workweek shall be 40hrs per week. Where we might have them is the next sentence, Work shall be scheduled for 5 consecutive days Mon - Fri or Tues - Sat.

when put to work means is that they can't satisfy the 40 hr guarantee by working you 3 10 hr days and then working you a 6.5 hr day and then a 3.5 hour day. File the 40 hr guarantee grievance if you have no more paid time, if not play it safe and use your paid time off. Until we get this B.S. figured out.

In regards to not wanting to pay us for the Christmas holiday:
First off, we have to see if this becomes reality.
Our TM said this was not a "definite" "Set in stone" decision to not pay us if we do not use Paid time on friday.
We have a big big meeting on this next week, which in my opinion, is the biggest waste of time to discuss something so scrooge like.

Our TM said he would like to see us get paid and use "lack of work/excused unpaid absence" to get us paid for the holiday but the UPS lawyer loophole finder is hovering over one word in the contract to try and stick the candy cane in our arses.

If this indeed flies, than I agree, this is another way to burn off our paid days.

The guaranteed guys will get their guarantee that week. The cauals and non's are screwed, but i think we all know that there are going to be alot of repercussions on this, whatever the company thinks they will say in the short trem will be lost in the long term.:1036316054:

The guaranteed guys will get their guarantee that week. The cauals and non's are screwed, but i think we all know that there are going to be alot of repercussions on this, whatever the company thinks they will say in the short trem will be lost in the long term.:1036316054:

Yes sir!:1036316054:
We already have our plan "A" "B" and "C" pit bull with lipstick ready to unleash.

I believe NikDiesel said it before:
It's all how you interpret the contract. If you think negatively you will find negative wording for one side, if you think positive you will find the positive wording for one side.

If they don't pay me for christmas I going to to the media.The birmingham news and local tv and I am already tell ever customer I deliver to and show them the flyer.:nutkick:

If they don't pay me for christmas I going to to the media.The birmingham news and local tv and I am already tell ever customer I deliver to and show them the flyer.:nutkick:

And you will be labeled a disgruntled union worker, just as they are doing to the UAW in the auto industry.

The last thing you want to do is let our customers know we are unhappy or fighting with the company.

Just becuase the company wants to work outside of the bounds set in the contract that they wanted, doesn't mean we should, That is gonna be the first thing a panel or arbitraitor looks at is who stayed in the guidelines.

If both parties go outside of the guidelines set by the contract then the grievance could be thrown out.

That means your guaranteed 8 hours when put to work it also means your guaranteed 40 hours a week, they did not go in to detail like they did on the parcels contract and it favors us the parcel contract says:

3050155825_66e8637f2e_o.jpg

ours says were guaaranteed 40.

And on top of that any hours worked past midnight on christmas eve will be paid at time and a half the guys working the hub will be glad to hear this becuase they are working christmas eve morning.

This is copies of the morning meeting we had from Thursday.

Prework Communications Meeting Holiday Pay for Union-represented Employees
Date: November 18, 2008
Audience: Union-represented employees of UPS Freight
Date of Use: As soon as possible
Introduction
As the 2008 holiday season approaches, it is important that all union-represented UPS Freight employees understand ho'W the contract affects the December and January holidays with regard tc pay and eligibility.
Key Messages
The contract states:
The Employer will pay full-time and casual employees for the following nine holidays each year provided they work either the day before and the day after the holiday, or are on an approved paid absence:
o New Year's Day
o Memorial Day
o Independence Day
o Labor Day
o Thanksgiving Day
o Day after Thanksgiving
o Christmas Eve
o Christmas Day
o Floating Holiday (to be taken on any day selected by employee with manager's approval)
Please note that employees hired after the contract must work one year before being eligible for paid holidays
n 2008, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day fall on Wednesday and Thursday, and the Friday -after Christmas will be scheduled as a non-service day. Employees who do not work, or are not scheduled for a paid day off, on Tuesday the 23rd and Friday the 26th will not receive loiiday pay for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The Wednesday and Friday surrounding Mew Year's Day will be handled in the same way. Please also note that the days surrounding the Thanksgiving holiday may be light volume days as well.
have several options to ensure that you get paid for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and
Year's Day. You can:
3 Use your 2008 Floating Holiday on one of the surrounding days (FLT_HOL) o Schedule another unused 2008 paid day for one of the surrounding days
(DISC_HRS or VAC) o Use a 2009 paid day on January 2nd (FLOT_HOL, DISC_HRS, or VAC)
Conclusion
The UPS Freight-Teamster contract language allows for several ways'to ensure that you receive your pay for this coming season's holidays. Please make sure you understand hoi the contract language affects holiday pay and plan your time and days off accordingly. Please see your management team with any questions.

2008-2009 UPS Freight Holiday Calendar and Limited Service Days
THANKSGIVING
Wednesday, November 26th:
Regular pickup and delivery service provided.
Thursday, November 27th (Thanksgiving Day) & Friday. November 28th:
UPS Freight is closed (includes LTL, Truckload and Specialty Solutions).
No pickup or delivery service available unless scheduled in advance with the local Service Center or the
Urgent Services Department at 800/644-0900.
(Additional charges will apply for pickup and delivery service on major holidays. Refer to the
Rules Tariff for more information on these charges).
CHRISTMAS
Monday. December 22nd & Tuesday December 23rd:
Wednesday, December 24th (Christmas Eve) & Thursday. December 25th (Christmas Day)
UPS Freight is closed (includes LTL, Truckload and Specialty Solutions).
No pickup or delivery service available unless scheduled in advance with the local Service Center or the
(Additional charges will apply for pickup and delivery service on major holidays. Refer to the
Rules Tariff for more information on these charges).
Friday, December 26th:
Pickup and delivery service is available only if pre-arranged with the local Service Center or the Urgent Services Department in advance.
This is a non-service day in terms of calculating on-time service performance. There will be no movement of shipments that may be tendered to UPS Freight on this day.
NEW YEAR'S
Wednesday, December 31st, New Year's Eve:
There will be no movement of shipments that may be tendered to UPS Freight on this day.
Thursday. January 1st, 2009. New Year's Day:
UPS Freight is closed (includes LTL, Truckload ana Specialty Solutions).
•lutes Tariff for more information on these charges).
criday, January 2nd. 2009:
Pickup and delivery service is available only if pre-arranged with the local Service Center or the Urgent
Services Department in advance.
This is a non-service day in terms of calculating on-time service perrormance. There will be no movement
of shipments that mav be lendered to UPS Freiaht on this dav.

2009 UPS Freight Holiday Schedule (*)
Jan 1st: NEW YEAR'S DAY
May 25th: MEMORIAL DAY
July 3rd: INDEPENDENCE DAY (observed)
Sept 7th: LABOR DAY
Nov26th: THANKSGIVING DAY
Nov 27th: DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING
Dec 24th: CHRISTMAS EVE
Dec 25th: CHRISTMAS DAY
(*)UPS Freight is closed (includes LTL, Truckload and Specialty Solutions).
Additional charges may apply for pickup and delivery service on major holidays. Refer to the
Rules Tariff for more information on these charges.
2009 UPS Freight Limited Service Days (**)
Jan 2nd: FRIDAY AFTER NEW YEAR'S DAY
(")Pickup and delivery service is available only if pre-arranged with the local Service Center or the Urgent Services Department in advance.
This is a non-service day in terms of calculating on-time service performance. There will be no movement of shipments that may be tendered to UPS Freight on this day.
2009 UPS Freight Limited Service Days (***)
Apr 10th: GOOD FRIDAY
Dec 31st: NEW YEAR'S EVE DAY
(***) Pickup and delivery service is available on the above non-service days. However, there is no movement of shipments that may be tendered to UPS Freight, and these days will not be included in the calculation of transit times.

Just wanted to let everyone see the paperwork we received, yes we have already filed a greiveance on this.

What happens if your run is cut on the day before or after or in my case the whole week. I bet I know the answer.

We was told if you don't have any vacation to put on it you don't get it. Even though your run was cut and you are available and want to work.

They are going by the letter of the contract instead of the intent of the contract. But with a contract no one in their right mind would sign unless they was an idiot. Indy signed the contract. I voted no I wanted them to go back to the table. I'm pretty disappointed in the union for this contract.
It doesn't help in giving us at UPSF confidence in the teamsters. There is a lot of grumbling going around to decertify. I don't agree with that but when the BA won't call me back and the dues are always deducted the first of the month without fail it makes me pretty fed-up.:TR10driving03:

Makes me think that all the previous years and bitter battles the union had with Overnite. They are just collecting dues now and laughing...:biglaugh: