TForce | Christmas pay is a scam

I don't think you understand. We are paid two days for Thanksgiving and two days for Xmas per contract unless we book off the day before or after the holiday. If we were to book off without a scheduled notice we would then lose the two paid holidays. Xmas this year falls on Thursday so our paid holiday is Wednesday and Thursday. The company is calling Friday a non service day meaning there is no work also meaning that you are not working the day after the holiday so you will not be paid for the holidays Wednesday,Thursday and Friday unless you have vacation time to use. Not being paid for Friday is understandable, But telling us we won't be working Friday so you won't be paid for the two Holiday's is a little to much to swallow.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes total sense. In the case you cited, I would file to make the non-service day not count as the day after the holiday; the scheduled before/after days should be Wednesday/Monday. It may not, but you should have your steward clarify that.

Thanks again, I spoke too soon.
P.S. I am not a manager, just a driver/ft college student :woot:

Isn't the goal of holiday pay to compensate for the holidays you would not be working?
For those of us that work m-w, then get W-TH paid, that means we get paid 5 days for working 3.
That is if the Friday issue is cleared up.

I was told by my TM years ago only 2 city drivers are aloud the same day off even when it"s slow. Are they going to aprove the whole barn to take a day off in dec and put in for it in Jan. I would like to tell everybody to put in for a day off dec 26 weather they have any days left or not. I don't think management is doing a good job for ups.Poor management in freight is a death sentence for the company. Put this mess ontop of crap management on top of bad economy and angry workers. What a joke. If this is what ups wants it's what they get a big angry company good luck to ups.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes total sense. In the case you cited, I would file to make the non-service day not count as the day after the holiday; the scheduled before/after days should be Wednesday/Monday. It may not, but you should have your steward clarify that.

Thanks again, I spoke too soon.
P.S. I am not a manager, just a driver/ft college student :woot:

No problem, I hope your getting a degree in something other than transportation. I have been doing this almost 30 years and I hate driving.:biglaugh:

I was told by my TM years ago only 2 city drivers are aloud the same day off even when it"s slow. Are they going to aprove the whole barn to take a day off in dec and put in for it in Jan. I would like to tell everybody to put in for a day off dec 26 weather they have any days left or not. I don't think management is doing a good job for ups.Poor management in freight is a death sentence for the company. Put this mess ontop of crap management on top of bad economy and angry workers. What a joke. If this is what ups wants it's what they get a big angry company good luck to ups.

Same old work rule for Road Drivers. Only one Road Driver off at any given time. But yet they are telling us all to schedule a vacation day.:chairshot:

Take it Easy Cowboy!

Believe Me... We Can Handle This Diplomatically!

Let's Handle the Paperwork 1st.

We Can File a Maintenance of Standards Claim Based on Similar Occurrences in the Past...

Wednesday the 24th. was Christmas Eve
Thursday the 25th. was Christmas Day

What Did Overnite Do on Friday the 26th. (?)

If Overnite Remained Closed... Did They Pay the Holiday's?

Thursday the 1st. was New Years Day

Same Question as Above...

These Two (2) Similar Occurrences (even though still under Overnite's Control) would Establish a Reasonable Argument for Past Practices (Article 41) and Maintenance of Standards (Article 29) Protection.

Secondly...

Our Contract Provides a Loop Hole, a Little Grey Area, a Little Play on Words (if You Prefer) that Does Nothing But Benefit Us...

Article 18
Section 2

Ninety percent (90%) of the full-time employees holding bid jobs will be guaranteed a minimum of eight (8) hours pay per day when put to work and the standard guaranteed workweek shall be forty (40) hours per week.

Since Brown has Claimed "when" as Their - Trump Card for Disqualification...

I Suggest We Claim "and" as Ours!

See... "when" is in Reference to the Daily Guarantee...

While... "and" Separates Both Guarantee's as Single Entities!

The Way I See It Is...

Brown Has to Guarantee Us (90% ers) Forty (40) hours in Four (4) Day's... Otherwise Brown is Violating Article 18 – Section 2 (Work shall be scheduled for five (5) consecutive days)… Since Brown On It's Own Choosing has Chosen to Only Be Open for Business Four (4) Day's that Week...

With that Said...

Our Obligation Will Be to Work Dec. 23rd. and Dec. 29th. as being the Day Before and First Available Day After in Accordance to the Terms Set Froth by Article 25 - Section 4.

The word that protects the company is the definition of "standard". The company will likely say "standard" does not apply here. Bring that up.

The word that protects the company is the definition of "standard". The company will likely say "standard" does not apply here. Bring that up.

The standard is what is accepted as the norm. The norm is a 40 hour work week. The norm for a 90% full-time employee is 8 hours a day. Wipe your nose, you got something brown on it. :1036316054:

I don't think you understand. We are paid two days for Thanksgiving and two days for Xmas per contract unless we book off the day before or after the holiday. If we were to book off without a scheduled notice we would then lose the two paid holidays. Xmas this year falls on Thursday so our paid holiday is Wednesday and Thursday. The company is calling Friday a non service day meaning there is no work also meaning that you are not working the day after the holiday so you will not be paid for the holidays Wednesday,Thursday and Friday unless you have vacation time to use. Not being paid for Friday is understandable, But telling us we won't be working Friday so you won't be paid for the two Holiday's is a little to much to swallow.

You sound alot like Karl...

The standard is what is accepted as the norm. The norm is a 40 hour work week. The norm for a 90% full-time employee is 8 hours a day. Wipe your nose, you got something brown on it. :1036316054:

I was advising you to consult your business agent, you brainless fool. I was offering you a question on a legal definition. The only *** kissing is between you and your ego, so use a brain cell and stop being such an overly defensive lemming.:nutkick:

What's Your Username Again? :duh:

And You have the Audacity to come onto a Predominately Teamster Forum and Attempt to find Justifiable Reasoning for the Company to Disallow Something?

May-be this is the answer right here...

I have been wondering all along why someone would post on this forum justifying the company on anything...

Obviously those that Invest the Time to Defend the Company are Not Teamsters!

Truckload runs teams all over the country.
I should know, I am one of them. My co-driver and I run over 5k weekly.

duped... Your Out of Your League Here!

Instead of being So Antagonistical:

Someone is pumping you full of poo to keep you pro-union.
That is total BS!!!

I was advising you to consult your business agent, you brainless fool. I was offering you a question on a legal definition. The only *** kissing is between you and your ego, so use a brain cell and stop being such an overly defensive lemming.:nutkick:

Perhaps We Could Offer Our Help in Organizing Truckload!

O' Yea...

I've been with the company for 7 years running dedicated runs. Think what you want, I can't spill all of the beans, But you are really getting invalid info. Just wait till truckload finishes doing what its doing. You freight guys will be jumping like spawning trout for a transfer to truckload.
They told us we had to wait to go over to freight, but nobody wanted to go.
No hard feelings, but being non-union has worked out very well for me.

Just a Little FYI...

I Have Already Supported You and the Truckload Division!

upsfreight truckload jobs available - post #25

Ladies and Gentelman, I suggest before you people go fighting the good fight about the 26TH being a paid day, I would like you to read EXACTLY what is stated here before you go muttering any greivance for anything. Do you see something that makes no scence in this statement? Quoted from the contract.

SECTION 4. Holidays​
The Employer will pay full-time and casual employees for the following nine holidays each
year provided they work either the day before and the day after the holiday or are on an
approved paid absence:
New Year’s Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Floating Holiday (to be taken on any day selected by employee with manager’s
approval)
Full-time employees will be eligible to receive eight (8) hours pay for each of the foregoing
paid holidays. Casual employees are eligible to receive holiday pay for those holidays in the​
29​
amount of one-fifth (1/5) of their week’s pay of the work week preceding the week of the
holiday.
Employees hired after ratification of this Agreement will be eligible for paid holidays only​
after one year of active employment.

And when something is not clear, what do we do ?:1036316054:

This Contract Isn't a One Sided Argument!

No Where is it Written in Our Contract that UPS is the All Knowing Super Study when It Comes to Loopholes, Interpretation and Manipulation of Wording...

If We as a Group Invested Half the Time that We Do “Beaching and Complaining” when We are Kicked in the Groin - into Problem Solving...

Then Instead of This Statement Reading "We the employee's..."

it would read "The Company will learn many lessons in the next 4 1/2 years..."

UPS Knows Package!

I'll Give Them That!

When it Comes to Freight...

UPS Has Many Things to Learn!

Brothers and Sisters... This Isn't an Insurmountable Task!

Brown Has Entered Our Territory (Our Turf)

It's Time to Become the Teacher and Not the Student!

Right on brother! Both sides are going to learn many lessons. The way I see it, this should make us stronger and more UNITED.

Ladies and Gentelman, I suggest before you people go fighting the good fight about the 26TH being a paid day, I would like you to read EXACTLY what is stated here before you go muttering any greivance for anything. Do you see something that makes no scence in this statement? Quoted from the contract.

SECTION 4. Holidays​
The Employer will pay full-time and casual employees for the following nine holidays each
year provided they work either the day before and the day after the holiday or are on an
approved paid absence:
New Year’s Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Floating Holiday (to be taken on any day selected by employee with manager’s
approval)
Full-time employees will be eligible to receive eight (8) hours pay for each of the foregoing
paid holidays. Casual employees are eligible to receive holiday pay for those holidays in the​
29​
amount of one-fifth (1/5) of their week’s pay of the work week preceding the week of the
holiday.
Employees hired after ratification of this Agreement will be eligible for paid holidays only​
after one year of active employment.

approved paid absence:

This is the very grey area. It does not mention service day. It specifically states the day after and the day before.

approved paid absence:

This is the very grey area. It does not mention service day. It specifically states the day after and the day before.

Yup, Big grey area. Next year Xmas Day 2009 is a Friday. We don't work the day after which is a Saturday. As stated in the contract they don't have to pay us for Thursday and Friday. Can you schedule a vacation day for a day (Saturday) that you do not work.:hysterical:

Ladies and Gentelman, I suggest before you people go fighting the good fight about the 26TH being a paid day, I would like you to read EXACTLY what is stated here before you go muttering any greivance for anything...

For such a Demonstrative Opening Statement...

I would have Expected Allot More!

Then Just to be Referred Back to the Contract for Further Review...

Your Pointing Out the 26th...

And Basically Acknowledging that the 24th and 25th Will be Paid... Since it is Written...

I'm Agreeing with that... As Long as We Work the Day Before (Dec. 23rd.) and the 1st. Available Day After (Dec. 29th.)

Now Getting Back to the 26th...

I Believe that the 90% are Guaranteed Forty (40) Hours for the Week...

post56

In Essence... Friday Dec. 26th. Hours being the Difference of the Total Hours Worked Monday & Tuesday (max of Ten [10] hours per day - applied to the guarantee) plus Eight (8) Wednesday and plus Eight (8) Thursday.

Your Right... Don't Mutter a Grievance... Just Do It!

And Do It Now!

Everyone!

post50

Become the Teacher (?)

And Use a Discretionary Day or Personal Holiday on Monday Dec. 29th - Instead of Wasting it on Dec. 26th. (?)

post50

We Can Call It - Employee Appreciation Day

Since Brown Hasn't Withdrawn this BS...

And Feels as Though They Can Continue Along These Same Lines.

For such a Demonstrative Opening Statement...

I would have Expected Allot More!

Then Just to be Referred Back to the Contract for Further Review...

Your Pointing Out the 26th...

And Basically Acknowledging that the 24th and 25th Will be Paid... Since it is Written...

I'm Agreeing with that... As Long as We Work the Day Before (Dec. 23rd.) and the 1st. Available Day After (Dec. 29th.)

Now Getting Back to the 26th...

I Believe that the 90% are Guaranteed Forty (40) Hours for the Week...

post56

In Essence... Friday Dec. 26th. Hours being the Difference of the Total Hours Worked Monday & Tuesday (max of Ten [10] hours per day - applied to the guarantee) plus Eight (8) Wednesday and plus Eight (8) Thursday.

Your Right... Don't Mutter a Grievance... Just Do It!

And Do It Now!

Everyone!

post50

Become the Teacher (?)

And Use a Discretionary Day or Personal Holiday on Monday Dec. 29th - Instead of Wasting it on Dec. 26th. (?)

post50

We Can Call It - Employee Appreciation Day

Since Brown Hasn't Withdrawn this BS...

And Feels as Though They Can Continue Along These Same Lines.

I am insinuating nothing of the sort although I agree with your statement. What I am saying is, either, and, makes no sense in this sentence, this article is misleading , either you work the day before or the day after the holiday to get paid ,or you work the day before and after the holiday to get paid, these words in a sentence make no sense.

In this article "EITHER" suggests one of the two, "AND" refers to both. Redundant I know, but makes no sense.

I am insinuating nothing of the sort although I agree with your statement. What I am saying is, either, and, makes no sense in this sentence, this article is misleading , either you work the day before or the day after the holiday to get paid ,or you work the day before and after the holiday to get paid, these words in a sentence make no sense.

In this article "EITHER" suggests one of the two, "AND" refers to both. Redundant I know, but makes no sense.

..can only tell you this..Acc read the entire sentance..the either is referring to the two instances of how you will get paid for the holiday; as it is stated in the entire sentance..now I am going to use a discretionary day for which ever day they care to use as the next service day 26-27...I run Tues -Sat so I would normally run Wed freight on Sat ..so what ever they decide..whatever; I`m covered...can tell you this my TM said use it on the 26...so take it for what its worth..really I think I should be using it for Sat. but we will see...

..the either is referring to the two instances of how you will get paid for the holiday; as it is stated in the entire sentance..

That Is Correct! :1036316054:

You "Either" have to Work the Day Before "and" the Day After the Holiday...

or

You Have to be on an Approved Paid Absence for Either the Day Before or the Day After (or Both)

This article should read like this.

SECTION 4. Holidays
The Employer will pay full-time and casual employees for the following nine holidays each year provided they work the day before and the day after the holiday or are on an
approved paid absence for either day,or both:

Notice, in the improved clause, this statement makes sense.
"Or are on an approved paid absence" The word "or" in this case is used to conjoin 2 different statements . The second statement in direct correlation to the first, only in the original clause it states "either the day before and after" or are on an approved abscence.

The new article suggests that one must work the day before and after to get paid for the holidays unless an approved day is used inplace of the day before and after or both.