Holland | City Bids

Griz

TB Veteran
Credits
I know there's not many city men on here, but some opinions are needed. Our April bids have been posted. I, in my 18 years in the city with Hmes have never seen anything like these. First of all we are under the belief that management is trying to get rid of job classification's. Asked our TM about this and he said these type bids were being used throughout the system. Example of old bids-Not included is dock, but drivers usually start at 6:00 am thru 1:00 pm, with about 6 - 8 per shift. New bids-- first starting time--7:30 with 16 bids-- second time is 9:30 with 18 bids and last shift, doesn't make a bit of since is 11:00 am with 16 bids. Well, sounds to me like a lot of early dock bids(with I didn't post) will be forced out to cover early appt. Drivers will be working the dock more than normal. GRIZZ

I know there's not many city men on here, but some opinions are needed. Our April bids have been posted. I, in my 18 years in the city with Hmes have never seen anything like these. First of all we are under the belief that management is trying to get rid of job classification's. Asked our TM about this and he said these type bids were being used throughout the system. Example of old bids-Not included is dock, but drivers usually start at 6:00 am thru 1:00 pm, with about 6 - 8 per shift. New bids-- first starting time--7:30 with 16 bids-- second time is 9:30 with 18 bids and last shift, doesn't make a bit of since is 11:00 am with 16 bids. Well, sounds to me like a lot of early dock bids(with I didn't post) will be forced out to cover early appt. Drivers will be working the dock more than normal. GRIZZ
Grizz, welcome to the "New Holland". It is what I was telling you about last month that they started here. Just do your job and take their money. The only bad thing about it is these new bids make you go in to a higher tax bracket. They have given up on trying to change us and I guess you guys are next? They tried so many things here that didn't work. It was funny because the pencil pushing geeks came in and told us to do things their way and when the management couldn't make it work they asked the geeks to show them how to make it work and when the geeks tried to run the show it didn't work either, lol. So guess what, now we're doing it the old (wrong) way again. The best part is we aren't on the POOP list any more and everybody will be called back by the first of the month. There are only a couple of guys that are on layoff that aren't working just because they don't want too. The TM says hes going to be hiring in the city sometime next month plus they have put on 12 line-haul jobs and plan to hire 2 or 3 more. I think we are busy again. Good luck with the new type bids down there.

Benny, your right on the money with the old way. But, the old way with 115 men is not possible. There's one little difference in our work distribution. When senior man is offered a peddle and he turns it down, he goes to the bottom. Our dock starts at 3:00 am and close-out starts at 1:00 pm. Our ot is made in the city. Never enough time.Grizz

Benny, your right on the money with the old way. But, the old way with 115 men is not possible. There's one little difference in our work distribution. When senior man is offered a peddle and he turns it down, he goes to the bottom. Our dock starts at 3:00 am and close-out starts at 1:00 pm. Our ot is made in the city. Never enough time.Grizz

Its the same here. I was meaning that if you passed it down to the bottom man he got stuck with it. If you pass and the next man after you takes it then the man under him is the next one they ask if they get another load to go out. Ours used to start at 3AM but they changed it to 4AM to give the line-haul men more time to get the loads back.

busy

:butt kiss: we at phila. hired five city interveiwing more this week busy ashell here in city anyway :hysterical: overtime is nuts

Grizz I know in Atlanta they have right at 197 give or take a few men on the city board. I have heard some rumblings about their bids too.

I really do not understand the city bids since I am road but they say they are all comming in early now trying to get more people and freight on the street early.

They are also hiring more city drivers in Atlanta.

But then again Atlanta seems to bid about once a month in the city ,it has to be crazy.

Also some people were in Atlanta all week from YRC walking the yard looking at the dock setup and the whole operation I imagine.

JJ the brass have almost made Me their second home this year. Our dock operation has changed 180%. The last dock foreman from the old Holland left last week for Conway. Roadway is our major flavor in Me. With all the newbie's here, seems like there is a sup. for every 10 doors. A lot of inexperience on our closeout shift. JJ heard a few of the road-drivers complaining about how bad their kick-offs have been. Kick's are mixed-up in thru frt. Did you here anything about an accident involving a Holland - car around the Decatur - Huntsville area? A shiney- wheel told me he saw the accident last Thursday. He said it was a death involved. GRIZZ

We started this type of bid in Pontiac about 6 months ago,after the engineers were here. Its all about EVERYBODY working the dock. Even Zone bids. The plan is to deliver75 to 80% of the freight by noon.

The good side is we have been closing the dock down by 9 9:30 every night

Thanks for the reply RG. Looks like our boss wasn't lying. I'm all for making $$$$$. Looks like combo dock-city driver is in our future. I've done both, mostly city. Only bad thing is it when you run a long peddle, it's impossible to make all the p/u's. We run at least 25 peddles over a 100 miles(one way). GRIZZ

:butt kiss: we at phila. hired five city interveiwing more this week busy ashell here in city anyway :hysterical: overtime is nuts

Same thing in Louisville, overtime is crazy :funky: and getting worse. Half of the city guys are getting sixty and some are even being forced :nutkick: to work over sixty. That was a new one for them.

P.S. I've been stuck on 112 reputation points for ever so somebody give me some good points or some bad points. I feel like I'm in a rut and I need to go up, down or sideways. LOL

men

:nutkick: we started with 35 did everything with these guys as of this april we are 55 strong start times range 4am to 12noon 35 peddles rest are open bids three casules that would give us 58 about 450 to 600 bill inbound 400 out::smilie_132: :