FedEx Freight | City Driver Stuff

Any mention of the coming excess length surcharge? Any thoughts?

icHEEZm.jpg

I mean, $85 surcharge above 8 ft.? Some of these type shipments are quite difficult and carry a high risk of damage. BUT there are some that weigh almost nothing, and are among the easiest so handle.

Anyone know when we're supposed to go completely paperless when picking up freight?
Fedex will never go fully paperless.. I think you mean on Fedex bol's only and some have already started but customers are so used to printing that BOL that it seems like it won't happen 100%. 3rd party, brokers, or other type of BOL's will never be able to be paperless due to the information not being in the handheld and the customer not having a fedex label on the freight

How’s the “Freight 2020” program working out? I love it. It’s so nice to take care of damage claims right on a customer’s dock instead of waiting on the phone to relay the info, even though it’s written on the DR. That technology on the dock is fantastic. I can’t remember the last time I had a misloaded trailer. The best is when my trailer is completely loaded, correctly sequenced and ready to go when I get to work. I don’t even get upset on the rare occasion the dockworkers forget to put placards on hazmat trailers. I save so much time not having to scrutinize how my trailer is loaded, I can do it myself. It doesn’t just help the dock either. I can’t remember the last time I had a trailer with a busted door or missing mudflap or broken lights since the ease of reporting defects on the ELD during pre and post inspections started. Drivers really stay on top of that and it shows. I don’t even know the current morning mechanics name!

Might I add also what a wonderfully thought out and perfectly executed service the FedEx Freight Residential service turned out to be? Those Class B drivers that were hired are every bit a part of the team as anyone else, and some of the hardest working people you’ll ever meet. You’d have to be to get 2 pallets of hardwood flooring off the liftgate safely and pushed up a gravel driveway. Making them 2 man teams has really paid off too. Keeps the process streamlined, provides a witness, and lowers the injuries caused by moving dangerous, heavy and over length freight most people would think we have no business handling in a box truck with a 4 foot liftgate and a manual pallet jack from 1986.

You’d have to be to get 2 pallets of hardwood flooring off the liftgate safely and pushed up a gravel driveway.

Ya, right. Gravel driveway? Sorry, bub. This ::shit:: gets dropped at the end of your driveway.

Anyone know when we're supposed to go completely paperless when picking up freight?
I have some.
As long as they have a computerized pro number put in it should be able to be paperless.
I have some who have it that way yet they still print out the paper B.O.L.

Dear “Other Driver”,

When you’re giving away services and labor that other customers pay for and that the company requires payment for (ie, breaking down a pallet of 50lb sacks of flour and carrying it inside a bakery because the staff is all women and while they’ll brag about how they squeezed a 9 lb baby out of their snappers after 29 hours of labor without medication, they’re to frail to even help lift a bag), please explain that what you’re doing is a courtesy and that other drivers aren’t required to do it if it’s not on the dr or they don’t want to pay for the service. It would save a lot of confusion and anger by those customers.

Thanks,

A lot of us.

Dear “Other Driver”,

When you’re giving away services and labor that other customers pay for and that the company requires payment for (ie, breaking down a pallet of 50lb sacks of flour and carrying it inside a bakery because the staff is all women and while they’ll brag about how they squeezed a 9 lb baby out of their snappers after 29 hours of labor without medication, they’re to frail to even help lift a bag), please explain that what you’re doing is a courtesy and that other drivers aren’t required to do it if it’s not on the dr or they don’t want to pay for the service. It would save a lot of confusion and anger by those customers.

Thanks,

A lot of us.

“SNAPPERS” who are you? DICE CLAY....That’s awesome!!! I haven’t heard that in a while.

Asking for a friend...

If there is extra dock work available for only city guys, would it be based off of city seniority or company seniority? Can’t seem to find the policy on this from the mobile policy site.

How does that work with bidding? Some guys like the straight trucks and bid that route. What about unassigned guys that don't always get a route and have to work the dock?