FedEx Freight | City Driver Stuff

Definitely not. I'd also like to see an hourly adjustment made for city driver pay to equal that of road drivers.

Definitely not. I'd also like to see an hourly wage for City Drivers equal to the average wage of a Road Driver. I understand we all make the same hourly wage but a road driver working the same amount of hours as me per day is making 25k more per year?????? Doesnt make any sense. If my area offered daytime runs I'd be more than happy to hold a steering wheel for 8 hours a day, get paid for 1/2 hour hooking a set that takes 10 mins. This is a serious flaw in the system. If anyone can tell me why Fedex seems to value their Road Drivers more than the City I'd love to listen.

Takes a half hour to properly pre trip equipment, add necessary fluids to tractor find a dolly then hook trailers and pre trip them do required handheld steps as well as logbook. . The nights it takes me 45 mins to get hooked up playing in a foot of snow is on me so it all works out in the wash! ! You are all for daylight runs oh you betcha, huh don't want anything to do with playing in the dark night after night! !

Takes a half hour to properly pre trip equipment, add necessary fluids to tractor find a dolly then hook trailers and pre trip them do required handheld steps as well as logbook. . The nights it takes me 45 mins to get hooked up playing in a foot of snow is on me so it all works out in the wash! ! You are all for daylight runs oh you betcha, huh don't want anything to do with playing in the dark night after night! !
Excellent point, when there's snow on the ground the city operation shuts down and goes home due to the customers doing the same but the road guys are still going. There's been many of days where the city didn't operate and we still come in and ran...all in a day's work!!

Hats off to you sir. Daylight hours are what fits my family situation. My kids like to know who their dad is. Like I said, I'd hold a steering wheel all day for that kind of money. Then again, FedExs pay scale is the same for areas that have day runs. If my situation allowed I'd move to those areas, then again, why should I have to move? Shouldn't it be the same COMPANYwide?
Excellent point, when there's snow on the ground the city operation shuts down and goes home due to the customers doing the same but the road guys are still going. There's been many of days where the city didn't operate and we still come in and ran...all in a day's work!!
Excellent point, there's been many a days where the city operated and the road stayed home. I live in an area where it snows during the day and we work, it freezes to ice at night and road stays home. We can go back and forth but the fact remains road drivers are the darling and are paid accordingly.

If a road drivers drives 360 total miles at 60 miles per hour it will take 6 hours to complete. I haven't been payed mileage in awhile but I'm thinking it's about .65 per mile. That's a rate of $234 or $39 per hour. Now let's pay them 2 hrs for drops and hooks on each side. Most can complete those total hooks in less than an hour but get paid for 2. Let's say it takes them 2 hrs to complete the hooks, that totals an 8 hr day. The road driver has made $285 for his 8 hr work day and the city driver has made $207 and $25.98/ hr. Now the city driver does get overtime after 8 hrs but the road driver gets his overtime on the front end with how high the mileage pay is. Mileage pay is equal to overtime pay for a city driver. If you average out the pay for miles driven on a road driver and hours worked for a city driver, the pay is not even close. In this example the road driver received overtime pay for 6 of his first 8 hrs. Now this is equal pay? No. Now we get into road drivers receiving an average pay for vacations? Why cant city get an average based on their overtime like road gets on mileage? City gets the shorty on not only pay but vacation pay????? Seriously needs to be taken a look at. I promise road drivers would agree, city drivers have the hardest job at the company and yet get the shaft when it comes to pay. That's the reason they're road, they wouldn't want to deal with what city drivers do.
If it's a 360 mile turn, the road driver is required to work the dock due to the run being less than 425 miles which extends his day past eight hours.
I do agree with the vac pay for city drivers, should be an avg of their annual salary since some do get OT on occasions.
You forget, most road drivers are former city drivers and we did it back before technology made the city job easier. Hell, when we did it that shade tree you now sit under on your break was just a sapling in our day!! :grin:

Hats off to you sir. Daylight hours are what fits my family situation. My kids like to know who their dad is. Like I said, I'd hold a steering wheel all day for that kind of money. Then again, FedExs pay scale is the same for areas that have day runs. If my situation allowed I'd move to those areas, then again, why should I have to move? Shouldn't it be the same COMPANYwide?

Excellent point, there's been many a days where the city operated and the road stayed home. I live in an area where it snows during the day and we work, it freezes to ice at night and road stays home. We can go back and forth but the fact remains road drivers are the darling and are paid accordingly.
I wouldn't say "darlings", I was told years ago that the industry paid the road drivers more due to the lifestyle of being on the road. Yes, "we" no longer run the system but our pay was established back when we did. What do you suggest, they now decrease our pay because we no longer run the system or inflate the city pay substantially higher than the industry avg?

Huh??? Some of you guys got drones working that pallet jack putting those 2500lb pallets on the tail???
Whatchoo talkin bout technology making things easier, Red??!!
Pallet jacks on the trailer?? We used drag bars in my day...or tied a rope around a tree and pulled forward dragging that pallet to the back!!
I remember the days of using pen and paper, having to call dispatch at every stop to get the next pickup, etc... We even used road maps in order to run an unfamiliar area, would've been nice to have today's GPS!! I'll bet most of the young guys today can't even read a road map.

Last edited:
If it's a 360 mile turn, the road driver is required to work the dock due to the run being less than 425 miles which extends his day past eight hours.
I do agree with the vac pay for city drivers, should be an avg of their annual salary since some do get OT on occasions.
You forget, most road drivers are former city drivers and we did it back before technology made the city job easier. Hell, when we did it that shade tree you now sit under on your break was just a sapling in our day!! :grin:
I didn't forget. I've been driving as long as most of the road drivers in this company and understand how times have changed for a city driver. I've driven road, I'm driving city. I understand how drivers wanna justify how hard they work for their exceptionally overpaid talents. I know a driver works the dock as well. Without nickel and diming each and every situation, you as well as I know that the driver pay between city and road is day and night. The job performed between city and road is day and night as well. Yet the hardest job gets less compensation. I guess that just the way LTL rolls and I've accepted that until I decide not to.

I wouldn't say "darlings", I was told years ago that the industry paid the road drivers more due to the lifestyle of being on the road. Yes, "we" no longer run the system but our pay was established back when we did. What do you suggest, they now decrease our pay because we no longer run the system or inflate the city pay substantially higher than the industry avg?
You're exactly right. I'd decrease road pay and increase city pay to make it more even. The higher city pay would attract more drivers and would offset the road drivers who decided to leave. It would be classified as a "Professional Driver" position. Not road or city. Everyone would be on the same pay scale and you're position would be based on start times. Want on overnight shift? That'll be a 360 mile round trip to blank and blank at $35 an hour. Want a 9am shift? No problem I've got a route in town for $35 an hour. Problem solved.

Daytime line haul is based on location, some locations have better opportunities than others. So if I understand you correctly the company should create a day run for you at your center because 100 miles away at another center they have day runs? Nights don't work for you so no working up to a day riun like most of the guys have done, I suppose you would also like it to be completely interstate driving, no big cities to travel thru that might hang you up traffic wise,have it be a meet so you don't have to deal with drop and hooking, hell why don't we just put your name on the door for you as well. . Nice 5-6 am start and done and home by 430 in the afternoon for dinner with the family lol....

You're exactly right. I'd decrease road pay and increase city pay to make it more even. The higher city pay would attract more drivers and would offset the road drivers who decided to leave. It would be classified as a "Professional Driver" position. Not road or city. Everyone would be on the same pay scale and you're position would be based on start times. Want on overnight shift? That'll be a 360 mile round trip to blank and blank at $35 an hour. Want a 9am shift? No problem I've got a route in town for $35 an hour. Problem solved.
So you're advocating for a one board, one pay driver system?? You must be sleepy cuz now you're dreaming!!

Yes, "we" no longer run the system but our pay was established back when we did. What do you suggest, they now decrease our pay because we no longer run the system or inflate the city pay substantially higher than the industry avg?

NO, but what about a "premium" paid for night runs, over day runs. Many industries pay a premium for 2nd/3rd shift work. That would make for decisions being made when bidding on runs. Do you take the highest paying night run with? Or do you take the day run with a lesser mileage pay, but better hours? That would make for some interesting choices, based on seniority. What might that difference be? 10 cents/mile? :idunno:

But now were getting into "road stuff". A bit off topic, I think... :kickedoutsmile::poke:

I have stated this before location location location, some offer better opportunities than others based on the location. So if I understand your theory the company should provide daytime linehaul runs at all locations ?So no work up to days for you?Many if not most road drivers have worked nights or been on extra board before there daylight run,but hey if days work for you maybe we can get the company to provide a daytime linehaul run for you 5am start or to early maybe 6am?Now on to miles 500/600 miles a day? Might as well make it a meet so you csn just hit the button at meet point to release 5th wheel and then hook up and head back home,oh all interstate driving and no big cities to pass through and deal with any traffic delays so you can be home with the family by 430 ish in the afternoon and lastly do you want your name on the door as well ?oh that's rite we only hold on to the steering wheel all day dont deal with anything else nope well in my case as well alot of other road drivers all night as well as the forklift steering wheel at the hub because not all runs are just driving, I know men that drive 84 miles work dock for 6-8hrs in subzero temps and then hook up and 84 miles home... so get out of your shell see how the operation really works!!!!!Oh and my kids know me very well thank you We eat dinner together every night and I help them with homework when they need it !!!

City is paid less industry wide because it's the closest thing in this business to a normal job, and as such is more ideal hours-wise for a larger majority of people. Road is compensated better for the strange hours that fewer people want to work. It's that simple. And it's not uncommon in any kind of industry.

You want the convenience of being home to have dinner with the wife and kids? So does everyone else. Sorry. At least you're paid hourly. Some companies pay city by skid/cube.

And nothing I've done has sucked quite like putting together a set in a dirt yard, at midnight, with half a foot of snow on the ground, in bone chilling temperatures, with gloves that are soaked from the set I just split. Days like that, I wondered why I didn't pick a job that put me indoors somewhere.

No way to discuss this with out it turning into a road vs. city. Guys that work the city for anytime want a one board system so they don't have to work nights and guys that gave up their seniority to go line say "get in line." The only part that is set in stone is that each and every city guy has or had the chance to go line. Why you didn't is of no concern to the guys that did.

NO, but what about a "premium" paid for night runs, over day runs. Many industries pay a premium for 2nd/3rd shift work. That would make for decisions being made when bidding on runs. Do you take the highest paying night run with? Or do you take the day run with a lesser mileage pay, but better hours? That would make for some interesting choices, based on seniority. What might that difference be? 10 cents/mile? :idunno:

But now were getting into "road stuff". A bit off topic, I think... :kickedoutsmile::poke:
There already is a premium being paid for running nights. It's the main reason we make more then city. The bonus comes when you get to stop being a vampire in about 15 years or so. Works the same in city on a smaller scale, morning and afternoon shifts. The senior guys get to pick first taking the good runs leaving sort and seg. to the newbies.

We've had this conversation before...the average road driver is on duty for around 12 hrs a day, 60 hrs a week....some more, some less. If the city driver was on duty for that extra 20 hrs a week at time and a half, they too would pick up that extra $25K a year...again, some more some less.
It's not a FedEx thing, it's an industry thing. Road drivers with every company in the LTL industry earn more than city drivers due to their hours on duty.

Yeah our daytime road run takes 8 hours and they still make 20 k more than the highest city driver.

There already is a premium being paid for running nights. It's the main reason we make more then city. The bonus comes when you get to stop being a vampire in about 15 years or so. Works the same in city on a smaller scale, morning and afternoon shifts. The senior guys get to pick first taking the good runs leaving sort and seg. to the newbies.
Actually Ump, the justification for the premium goes way back to when Road was not only a night gig, but also subject to laydowns and running the system. Days and nights away from home, living out of a bag.
Now, should that same kind of premium apply to a day run unlikely to be suject to any of those conditions? I don't know and it's not my call.

Worth noting most city drivers cannot bid specific runs, but usually only start times. Imagine a road guy bidding only start times...
I will concede that most city drivers COULD transfer to road, if it's all about the money. Alternately my goal/hope is to bring city practices/processes/benefits more in line with road, eventually having "Driver" policies/benefits.

Reactions: Ump