FedEx Freight | City Driver Stuff

Are truck drivers allowed to spray their trucks off heard it was against policy?

This is not intended to be a "Truck wash". The intention is said to be for windows/mirrors, and (on occasion) the rear of trailer. The rear of some city trailers are often inaccessible during washing service visits. We were told that we should not do it every day, but "could", when needed, spray off the rear, (quote) "perhaps once per week".

Personally, I'm most appreciative of the brushes and squeegees, as they make the required task of cleaning windows & mirrors more effective. The pressure washer option while certainly nice, remains just that. An option. I just hope that people will take reasonable care of the equipment and be held accountable, to a reasonable degree.

We do currently have cameras being installed extensively throughout. Will there be any at the fuel island? :idunno:

This is not intended to be a "Truck wash". The intention is said to be for windows/mirrors, and (on occasion) the rear of trailer. The rear of some city trailers are often inaccessible during washing service visits. We were told that we should not do it every day, but "could", when needed, spray off the rear, (quote) "perhaps once per week".

Personally, I'm most appreciative of the brushes and squeegees, as they make the required task of cleaning windows & mirrors more effective. The pressure washer option while certainly nice, remains just that. An option. I just hope that people will take reasonable care of the equipment and be held accountable, to a reasonable degree.

We do currently have cameras being installed extensively throughout. Will there be any at the fuel island? :idunno:

That's awesome Swamp wish we could get similar tools, this time of the year with all the salt and grime that gets on our windows that pressure washer would come in handy.

You can certainly bet they'll be at the fuel island....not that it matters!! I see drivers, those domiciled in CLT and abroad, chocking the pump handle on a daily/nightly basis...to each his own!!

I response to that Swamp. If your center is like several others if you put something nice out there to use, it either walks off or gets run over. I don't know how many times you go to wash the windows and the brush is laying beside the handle. I feel if people would take care of the tools they supply us like they had to buy them the company maybe more inclined to get nicer tools.

Well, here we go... Not sure if it human error or natural disaster was the cause, but...

b8377RU.jpg

RFgTw7J.jpg

Well, here we go... Not sure if it human error or natural disaster was the cause, but...

b8377RU.jpg

RFgTw7J.jpg
I'm going with laziness!!!
We have retractable hoses that most drivers refuse to retract which causes the hoses to get run over resulting in cracked fittings and split hoses...then they want to complain when things are broke!!

b8377RU.jpg

RFgTw7J.jpg

WOW!!! That took all of 2weeks. Then we wonder why they won't give us tools to work with. Kinda like the old saying they would tear up an anvil with a noodle. Guess it will be be back to paper towels and windex for y'all real soon. Hey look they did hang the wheel scotch back up.

We've had this conversation before...the average road driver is on duty for around 12 hrs a day, 60 hrs a week....some more, some less. If the city driver was on duty for that extra 20 hrs a week at time and a half, they too would pick up that extra $25K a year...again, some more some less.
It's not a FedEx thing, it's an industry thing. Road drivers with every company in the LTL industry earn more than city drivers due to their hours on duty.
The main reason our road drivers get paid more is because the company can't find enough ppl willing to work nights at city driver pay level. Our road drivers avg 70-75k. City at Sefl avg 45-55k.maybe 60k if working 60 hrs per week

Has anyone heard yet about the (minimum) $47 charge that will be assessed on shipments to and/or from certain rural zip codes?

Forgot to mention that we were told, a month or so ago, that this $47 charge had resulted in a 7% drop in freight to/from the effected zip codes. Whether or not that sticks remains to be seen...

Has anyone else noticed a fuel surcharge issue? I have seen delivery receipts vary from 5% to 18% for shipments shipped on the same day from the same customer going to the same consignee.

Has anyone else noticed a fuel surcharge issue? I have seen delivery receipts vary from 5% to 18% for shipments shipped on the same day from the same customer going to the same consignee.
Interesting... todays bills show quite a variety. Everything from 0% (yes, zero), to 3%, 5%, 5.6, and yes, 18.5%.

Hope I'm not asked to explain that to a customer. If so, we'll refer them to sales.

Interesting... todays bills show quite a variety. Everything from 0% (yes, zero), to 3%, 5%, 5.6, and yes, 18.5%.

Hope I'm not asked to explain that to a customer. If so, we'll refer them to sales.
Update:

From very reliable sources, it seems that the surcharge rate is negotiated, and dependent on who is paying the freight charges. There is some valid questioning as to the wisdom of that info being shown on prepaid shipments.

To be continued...

Forgot to mention that we were told, a month or so ago, that this $47 charge had resulted in a 7% drop in freight to/from the effected zip codes. Whether or not that sticks remains to be seen...

It hasn't affected our rural zip codes at all and we have alot of them up here in the sticks.

Update:

From very reliable sources, it seems that the surcharge rate is negotiated, and dependent on who is paying the freight charges. There is some valid questioning as to the wisdom of that info being shown on prepaid shipments.

To be continued...
I have yet to hear an answer explaining the difference from the same customer. Said shipper shipped two nearly identical hazardous products (weight and number of containers virtually the same), 5 gallon square jugs, on the same day to the same customer. One DR was 18% and the other was 5%. I do not think negotiated will explain it away. But were 1 day points and both priority shipments.