FedEx Freight | City Driver Stuff

Back in my city days we had guys that would tell the customers who generally shipped multiple shipments to just call in a pallet or two but they would pick up everything the customer had when they got there, then those drivers would consider everything the customer didn't call in as JOM's....not exactly JOM's IMO.

Back in my city days we had guys that would tell the customers who generally shipped multiple shipments to just call in a pallet or two but they would pick up everything the customer had when they got there, then those drivers would consider everything the customer didn't call in as JOM's....not exactly JOM's IMO.
I do agree with all of that, but there are certain grey areas. 1st off, a customer consistently calling in 1 or 2, and having 4-5 is an issue, especially when capacity is limited. Priority should go to the customers who have already booked (reserved) space, before any extra is accepted.

Now, when there is an opportunity presented for an extra shipment, and that shipment entails effort, either through time (delay) or space management (making room), which falls under driver discretion... then yes, the case could be made for the driver to get credit for the effort (JOM). Remember, there are times when requests for extra time and/or space must be denied in order to honor our commitments to other customers. Customers generally understand when you can't accommodate last minute requests, and also they appreciate when you can.

The way I understand it, getting a (extra) shipment today that you would likely get tomorrow, does count. That is an efficiency gain, which is a significant part of the programs goal. Multiple shipments are more profitable than single shipments, in general.

Again, I agree that pencil whipping a bunch of JOMs is not the goal. In fact that practice is counter productive

I do agree with all of that, but there are certain grey areas. 1st off, a customer consistently calling in 1 or 2, and having 4-5 is an issue, especially when capacity is limited. Priority should go to the customers who have already booked (reserved) space, before any extra is accepted.

Now, when there is an opportunity presented for an extra shipment, and that shipment entails effort, either through time (delay) or space management (making room), which falls under driver discretion... then yes, the case could be made for the driver to get credit for the effort (JOM). Remember, there are times when requests for extra time and/or space must be denied in order to honor our commitments to other customers. Customers generally understand when you can't accommodate last minute requests, and also they appreciate when you can.

The way I understand it, getting a (extra) shipment today that you would likely get tomorrow, does count. That is an efficiency gain, which is a significant part of the programs goal. Multiple shipments are more profitable than single shipments, in general.

Again, I agree that pencil whipping a bunch of JOMs is not the goal. In fact that practice is counter productive
Agreed....that's why I prefaced my comment with "back in the day". Although those "grey areas" are indeed issues today, back then those issues were non-existent.

Back in the day, we bid routes instead of start times and that allowed most of us to build a good rapport with our customers (I even had a few who closed early with open docks that gave me a key to their gate so I could get my freight "after hours"). That good rapport lead to us having "regular customers" who were considered "daily checks" and they never called in any pickups, we would just "stop in" to see if they had anything and 99% of the time they did...and some drivers considered those pickups JOM's. I know you remember the days back when we logged our delivery & p/u's with pen and paper and confirmed them over a land line...and when we got those RIM pagers we thought they were the future!! We didn't get to enjoy the technological advances that we have today, nor did the company use the same analytics to measure our productivity/efficiency, we just did what we had to do in order to get the job done!!

My point here is that with the growth of our company, along with today's technology, it's become increasingly harder to pencil whip JOM's as opposed to "back in the day". Good luck to all who participate and here's hoping that every driver makes an effort....unfortunately due to past circumstances I think we'll find that most won't.
Could you imagine how big our bonus "could" be if every driver got one JOM per day or week??

I always went and go by if there is freight sitting on dock without fedex written anywhere on it and you ask if you can take it and the shipper says yes than that's JOM. Now we know the shipper usually says "i can't make that call" but it's always worth a ask. I do agree with you now that if you move skids around to accommodate a customer with some extra freight that wasn't call in should be a JOM because you did work for it and we all know how hot those trailers can get.

Agreed....that's why I prefaced my comment with "back in the day". Although those "grey areas" are indeed issues today, back then those issues were non-existent.

Back in the day, we bid routes instead of start times and that allowed most of us to build a good rapport with our customers (I even had a few who closed early with open docks that gave me a key to their gate so I could get my freight "after hours"). That good rapport lead to us having "regular customers" who were considered "daily checks" and they never called in any pickups, we would just "stop in" to see if they had anything and 99% of the time they did...and some drivers considered those pickups JOM's. I know you remember the days back when we logged our delivery & p/u's with pen and paper and confirmed them over a land line...and when we got those RIM pagers we thought they were the future!! We didn't get to enjoy the technological advances that we have today, nor did the company use the same analytics to measure our productivity/efficiency, we just did what we had to do in order to get the job done!!

My point here is that with the growth of our company, along with today's technology, it's become increasingly harder to pencil whip JOM's as opposed to "back in the day". Good luck to all who participate and here's hoping that every driver makes an effort....unfortunately due to past circumstances I think we'll find that most won't.
Could you imagine how big our bonus "could" be if every driver got one JOM per day or week??

Just to clarify, I liked this, because I agree, for the most part. Not because I really "like" the facts.

Having said that, I will make the effort to qualify. The challenge is significant, but so is the potential reward.

Most regular customers know I want ALL of their shipments, but I will remind them, planting the seed... I even asked the post office, while delivering, knowing full well it was a long shot.

The answer is not no, until you ask. Even then it provokes the conversation, which can be interesting. That keeps the job entertaining and challenging, beyond the routine. That alone makes it worth more than the price of admission, IMHO.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I liked this, because I agree, for the most part. Not because I really "like" the facts.

Having said that, I will make the effort to qualify. The challenge is significant, but so is the potential reward.

Most regular customers know I want ALL of their shipments, but I will remind them, planting the seed... I even asked the post office, while delivering, knowing full well it was a long shot.

The answer is not no, until you ask. Even then it provokes the conversation, which can be interesting. That keeps the job entertaining and challenging, beyond the routine. That alone makes it worth more than the price of admission, IMHO.
Just to clarify, I "liked" this because I liked it. :poke:

My "facts" are based on my experiences at my center...and it's imporatant to note that I haven't preformed city duties in 15+ years...your "facts" may vary based on your experiences at your center.

I think we've already agreed in other threads that even though everything should be the same for all, we've discovered that almost every center interprets and implements things differently...although not necessarily the new JOM contest. If we ask around, I think you'll be surprised to find out that some centers haven't even announced the contest and there's city drivers that aren't aware of the contest, the criteria, nor the prizes available.

NOTE: my former English teacher would be highly disappointed with your use of a double negative to start your last paragraph...as I'm sure yours would be as well. :17142:

Just to clarify, I "liked" this because I liked it. :poke:

My "facts" are based on my experiences at my center...and it's important to note that I haven't preformed city duties in 15+ years...your "facts" may vary based on your experiences at your center.

I think we've already agreed in other threads that even though everything should be the same for all, we've discovered that almost every center interprets and implements things differently...although not necessarily the new JOM contest. If we ask around, I think you'll be surprised to find out that some centers haven't even announced the contest and there's city drivers that aren't aware of the contest, the criteria, nor the prizes available.

NOTE: my former English teacher would be highly disappointed with your use of a double negative to start your last paragraph...as I'm sure yours would be as well. :17142:
You know what I mean... Just because I agree with the facts, doesn't mean I like them. Much like this one. I agree that many are likely to be unaware of the existence of this JOM/Sales lead contest. I don't like that. In fact, if true, I find it disturbing, considering we've been told that ALL managers are now "on-board", with the PSP philosophy. It's kind of important to know about it prior to the start date. How might such a lack of communication be justified?

Anyway, you'll note that I'm not scrutinizing the program. Plenty of time for that after it runs it's course. Meanwhile, I'm going to make the most of it.

Note: perhaps there should be an agree button, as well as a like button, for clarity...:poke:

Last edited:
You know what I mean... Just because I agree with the facts, doesn't mean I like them. Much like this one. I agree that many are likely to be unaware of the existence of this JOM/Sales lead contest. I don't like that. In fact, if true, I find it disturbing, considering we've been told that ALL managers are now "on-board", with the PSP philosophy. It's kind of important to know about it prior to the start date. How might such a lack of communication be justified?

Anyway, you'll note that I'm not scrutinizing the program. Plenty of time for that after it runs it's course. Meanwhile, I'm going to make the most of it.

Note: perhaps there should be an agree button, as well as a like button, for clarity...:poke:
I'm quite certain you'll do your part to make the program sucessful, even without the contest/prizes...good luck!!

I've "been told" by others that's it's frustrating when they submit a multitude of sales leads only to find out later that no one from Services ever showed up to follow through!!

It's tough to get everyone on board when not everyone is on board...

Question for the Class:

This is about a Customer implementing a new policy. The great new policy? No “public” rest rooms... As in, Drivers are no longer allowed access to the facilities.

A little back ground: This is a Logistics/Distribution/Warehousing outfiit with 4 locations in the area. Not certain if, or to what extent they choose us. I think their customer chooses when to ship with FedEx. This policy only effects this one location, which ships a moderate amount of freight. Collectively, I would say the 4 locations ship quite a lot. Average load time at all locations ranges from 15 min-1 hour.

A couple factors unique to this location:

1) Only this location requires trailer to be dropped, red air line locked.

2) Only this one location does not allow the driver on the dock to watch/inspect the loading process

3) Only this one location does not allow access to restrooms.

I'm going to hold off on the rest of the story, but I would like to know what the rest of the class thinks about the above situation, before this issue makes it's way through the chain of command, as it likely will. Have you encountered this unacceptable policy in you area?

Beyond the fact that the manager of this location clearly lacks basic human decency, I'm going to hold off on giving my full opinion on this...

Oh, and the supposed reasoning? Some unknown person left a mess in the restroom, so the Manager decided this is now the policy.

Class?

I'm seeing more port-a-potties at customers in my area. As long as the turd hearse comes around at least once a week, it's all good.

Turd hearse :hilarious:

Drivers should refuse to go unless provided basic facilities. Whether or not management would back you up on this is the question.

I'd like to think an LTL driver is a well groomed professional that a place of business wouldn't have an issue allowing them to use the facilities.

I've encountered such policies only to be told when I've questioned said policy "that isn't for you all, it's for the big stinky long haul drivers who come through."

I realize traffic is currently light here on the board, but... Really? Only 2 willing to comment? Thank you both, for the input.
I have seen Dave's solution in use for years at a certain paper company. Not perfect, but reasonable enough.

As promised, the rest of the story, so far. Shortest version possible:

When being presented with the B/L to sign, I requested a minute (or two) to use the restroom. That's when I was told that they don't have “public” restrooms, so I could not use the facilities. My reply was that I won't be able to sign the papers because I'll be leaving without the shipment. She was shocked and asked if I was really going to leave? I said: Yeah, it's pretty simple. If I cant use the restroom here, I'll have to leave and find one elsewhere. It was suggested we leave the trailer for them to load. Not an option, as other customer freight must remain secure (locked)

Because they had not yet locked in the trailer, and I'd not yet signed the B/L, I was able to leave. Much to the credit of leadership, at that late hour (around 7pm ), I was not required to return.

Going forward, there is going to have to be a conversation with this location's management. I'm perfectly willing to have it, with all "due respect".

There are a number of principles that apply here.

We are requested to go there, provide a professional service for their customer (mutually our customer). There should be an mutual expectation of basic decency.

We are required to give up our freedom to leave, due to their lock out safety procedure, while also being denied access to even the most basic facilities during our confinement. Possibly up to an hour.

Really, it's likely to come down to the answer to one question. In case of urgent need, do you plan to physically prevent me from accessing the restroom?

Stay tuned

I realize traffic is currently light here on the board, but... Really? Only 2 willing to comment? Thank you both, for the input.
I have seen Dave's solution in use for years at a certain paper company. Not perfect, but reasonable enough.

As promised, the rest of the story, so far. Shortest version possible:

When being presented with the B/L to sign, I requested a minute (or two) to use the restroom. That's when I was told that they don't have “public” restrooms, so I could not use the facilities. My reply was that I won't be able to sign the papers because I'll be leaving without the shipment. She was shocked and asked if I was really going to leave? I said: Yeah, it's pretty simple. If I cant use the restroom here, I'll have to leave and find one elsewhere. It was suggested we leave the trailer for them to load. Not an option, as other customer freight must remain secure (locked)

Because they had not yet locked in the trailer, and I'd not yet signed the B/L, I was able to leave. Much to the credit of leadership, at that late hour (around 7pm ), I was not required to return.

Going forward, there is going to have to be a conversation with this location's management. I'm perfectly willing to have it, with all "due respect".

There are a number of principles that apply here.

We are requested to go there, provide a professional service for their customer (mutually our customer). There should be an mutual expectation of basic decency.

We are required to give up our freedom to leave, due to their lock out safety procedure, while also being denied access to even the most basic facilities during our confinement. Possibly up to an hour.

Really, it's likely to come down to the answer to one question. In case of urgent need, do you plan to physically prevent me from accessing the restroom?

Stay tuned

My only experience with the restroom is what DD said and they usually let you use it. But ,if they wouldn't let me use it,I would grab all my paperwork and tell them I'll be back. When you got to go,you got to go. Also you would think that if your going to leave they would let you use it because you really had to go.

Besides the portable turd sheds, some customers require you to ask for a key to the restroom. That allows them to see who uses it and if there is a "problem" with the bathroom, they may be able to find the perp.
Having to deal with a mess is no fun and could be costly if there was vandal damage. But like DD said, a customer could "profile" certain drivers and let them use it.

I would have advised dispatch of the plan and handled it like Swampy. Additionally I would have advised the customer of what I have experienced at customers who implemented a similar policy. The area near the dock doors tend to be used as a corner that drivers use to empty their bladders in. And yes I have witnessed dumps that have been taken under the trailer location. When desperation meets it's end, it happens.

Besides the portable turd sheds, some customers require you to ask for a key to the restroom. That allows them to see who uses it and if there is a "problem" with the bathroom, they may be able to find the perp.
Having to deal with a mess is no fun and could be costly if there was vandal damage. But like DD said, a customer could "profile" certain drivers and let them use it.
The other alternative, and yes, I have seen this, where someone goes out along their trailer, drops their drawers, and holds onto the bottom of the trailer rail, and leaves the customer a notice of dissatisfaction with their policy on restrooms on the ground.