FedEx Freight | City Drivers - How New is Your Tractor

dsh69

TB Regular
Credits
I was going to ask 'how new is your equipment' but I'd never get a straight answer :)

We get road hand-me-downs. I think our newest City unit is an ex-Road with number R12... . Can't remember when we actually got a new CITY tractor.

Of course the Road guys are always getting new stuff. City is the red-headed stepchild.

I see and understand your point but I think it comes down to resale value...they can buy a new road unit, run it on the road for 5 years, another 5 in the city, and still make money when they sell it. Buy a city unit and run it local for 10 years and you can’t give it away.

Mine is a 2004! We have a dozen city trucks and all of them but one are 2004 models. We have been told the past two fiscal years they were on the trade list and being replaced, only to not be traded and replaced. Told us the same story this year, we will see.....

I see and understand your point but I think it comes down to resale value...they can buy a new road unit, run it on the road for 5 years, another 5 in the city, and still make money when they sell it. Buy a city unit and run it local for 10 years and you can’t give it away.

Exactly, plus, breakdowns can be towed without spending an arm and leg like a road unit.
Sorry city guys, you don't need a new truck, we save them for the big boys.

Exactly, plus, breakdowns can be towed without spending an arm and leg like a road unit.
Sorry city guys, you don't need a new truck, we save them for the big boys.
Maybe, but our shop manager just told me they put $6k worth of parts on my 14 year old city truck, and I can't tell you how many times I've been towed in, too many to count. I doubt a tow is much less city vs road truck. Our towing company told me it $600 Just to hook it.

It would be nice to get city trucks rather than road trucks that aren't maneuverable and have zero field of vision.

I mean these road trucks are great for road drivers. They really don't drive their trucks, just guide them from place to place ;)

Most of the city guys by me drive the road units during the day. So they got nice equipment. Newer Pete’s and Volvo’s with 100-200k miles on em.

Maybe you just need more time in the city if you can't figure out WTF i'm talking about. Pretty much common sense which i guess escapes you.

Now, now. The road trucks smell too much like "loaves" have been pinched them....
D6PvQAd.png

Please stay on topic, I can't mention it, but you know what we are talking about.

:::shit::: city trash the road units at my barn! City slip with road drivers in new r2000 series trucks! Southern hospitality!
And? You don't like city bids including road units? Hard to deny the cost effectiveness of slip seating.

We do have a bunch of city units. I think the return of the city unit comes from the fact that for a time the fleet was allowed to be run down to such point that even the re-class process could NOT provide enough reliable trucks to operate cost effectively.

Long story, but it was a big deal back when the decision was made to spend significantly on fleet upgrades.

These are a few of our city units. KW & Pete, new in 2015-2016 respectively, I seem to recall.

nAWUeMV.jpg