R&L | City Drivers' routing

Credits
How do you city drivers do your runs? Do you run them the way they are loaded, whatever's most efficient, or in the order the bills are stacked when you get them?

My stops are often 20-30 miles apart, so loading in the right order becomes crucial, although the truck is never loaded in the order the bills are in.

One day, I made them unload the whole truck because it was loaded backwards.

I try to finish at my farthest point, and start pick ups there.

But when the dipatcher gives you 18 p/u's at 2:30pm all ya can do is :hysterical:

We are so mismanaged it is pitiful.

How do you city drivers do your runs? Do you run them the way they are loaded, whatever's most efficient, or in the order the bills are stacked when you get them?

My stops are often 20-30 miles apart, so loading in the right order becomes crucial, although the truck is never loaded in the order the bills are in.

One day, I made them unload the whole truck because it was loaded backwards.

I do my run how it makes the most sense to me. Sometimes if it is required, I have the dock workers move some freight around, sometimes I have them rework the whole trailer. If there is stuff I can move or work around, I do that and run the route how I want. I have been on the same route for years, so I kinda know what to expect.:1036316054: The dispatchers don't really care what order I run the route:smilie_132:

With a TM transplant from the east and a dispatcher "secretary" from the midwest we don't stand a chance. Only nice thing we have is the 48' trlr. At least it has the room to rework the load as you go. Our TM told us that we know the area so we have to adjust the loads as we go, because they don't have time to route the route in order they strictly load by zip code and then largest address to smallest if there is more then on delivery in the same zip. My loads are usually 15-20 stops not including picks and average 280-350 miles daily. I could cut my hours big time if it were routed right from the start. And if you really want to screw it up factor in the new musical start times and you have the "perfect mess"

With my area I have far more zip codes I go to then total stops. Rarely do I have more than 2 deliveries in one zip code, so routing becomes easier.

I do feel for the guys who do all their work in one or two zip codes. I find that you never know what you'll get when you have 14 stops in 2 zip codes. Granted, you'd still get done that faster than my run, but with a lot of aggravation.