Holland | City Driver's Running out of Hours !

I'm not watching either .the flag has nothing to do with what's going on in this country.its the ignorant way of thinking that has put us in this mess.and we owe a debt of gratitude to our military folks.as they make the ultimate sacrifice

The flag, our Anthem, our country should not be the butt of anyone's dissatisfaction. We live in the absolute best place in the world. Disrespect some of our "management" and their actions. But Don't Tread On Me.

84d7431a0057296373853c508340f680.jpg
Kinda the new policy with New Hires !

600 trailer's & 300 trucks ??? Really been hearing this B.S. story for months now & still short trailer's & trucks DAILY and keep hearing the same old B.S. story oh they are buying more ??? Well then where the hell are these imaginary trailers and trucks at and plus then IF IF IF they ever show up who's going to drive them ?? and WHY are we taking on more freight than we can handle ?? Maybe stop taking on more freight till we can move what we have now ? Problem is you new guys don't know the smooth way Holland ran before the YRCW Cluster **** took over & ruined us !

Wong, your wait may be over, I saw 6 shiny new Hollands South bound on I 85 today.
Sharp looking rigs, I was surprised, didn't know they still made Corbits.

600 trailer's & 300 trucks ??? Really been hearing this B.S. story for months now & still short trailer's & trucks DAILY and keep hearing the same old B.S. story oh they are buying more ??? Well then where the hell are these imaginary trailers and trucks at and plus then IF IF IF they ever show up who's going to drive them ?? and WHY are we taking on more freight than we can handle ?? Maybe stop taking on more freight till we can move what we have now ? Problem is you new guys don't know the smooth way Holland ran before the YRCW Cluster **** took over & ruined us !

fKD1Tzb.jpg

We have more freight than we can handle, we have added major accounts this year, we have raised pay for new hires at fourteen terminals, we are buying new tractors and new trailers, we are making money, what is exactly the reason that the company will be gone in two years? I have actually worked for two companies that went bankrupt and one that replaced the union drivers with non union drivers and I do not see the same things going on here that I have seen in the past. I here all these guys saying the end is near, rip, doom and gloom, but the company just keeps on rolling? Please tell me what I am missing? Yes we have some older trucks but our fleet is in so much better shape than it was four years ago and yes management is turning over at terminals but they are replacing them and in some cases it is an improvement, not all. Maintenance could be better but it could be worse much like the new hires, I would say fifty percent are pretty good drivers. I just don't see why guys should jump ship now, if you rode it out this long why not ride it out for another 18 months and see how it plays out? That is my plan! But best of luck brothers if you do go elsewhere just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side!
Are you still giving 15% back to the company?

Is the pay scale equal to the Non's?

Exactly how many tractors are they replacing again? 150 starting in September right.. what is that .05% of the fleet

Did the vet's get the 4th week of vacation back?

Is the contribution's to the pension back up to 100% again?

New freight? The Amazon account? Please it's hauled for penny's and has taken priority over much of the traditional freight that actually paid.. Holland traditionally was able to pick and choose profitable accounts, not anymore..

If the freight is damaged or lost in call trailers how much is actually being made off of it.

As far as the health and welfare is concerned: that's the only real bargaining chip left in the bag.. and it will be played like a fine tuned piano come 2019.

You are correct: the grass may not always be greener on the other side, but when it's brown and dormant with long term drought forecasted on this side, the other side can not in many cases be much worse.

The company has been on autopilot for a long time now, but the runway is fast approaching and the gear is locked in the up position. Management turnover and supervisory turn over IS a problem. The experienced personal have been leaving and being replaced by people that still have to feel their way along in the dark. That is never a good scenario.

Many key positions such as the regional director's need to be replaced, especially the one that handles Il, Wi, Mi, In.

Sure Holland and YRC may continue to plod along post 19' and I hope it does! But brother you have to also take into account many factors here:

1) overall debt owed to the lenders - it only takes 1 to call the note for it to collapse

2) age of equipment and condition - Be it due to the age and condition and even the upcoming federally mandated regulations the fleet is coming up on an expiration date.

A good 70% or higher of the tractors and trailers will have to be replaced and they don't have the money to do so, even with the giveback.

3) management turnover - never a healthy sign for a company long term

4) Age of Workforce and time to Retirement-- this is huge!

Sure they are trickling in new blood and even giving them perks such as scale without progression to try and bring them in, but it is only a small plug in the dam overall to the huge breach that is approaching.

Overall Holland and YRC in general has an aging work force that are counting down their months and years to 25 at this point. For the most part many are within the 5-7 or less range. Especially in the City operations.

This is key on many levels. For one you can take a guy out of driving school and pay him the same as a guy that has been driving for 20 plus years, but even paying that guy the same as the Vet doesn't change the fact that the new guy does not have the same experience or knowledge to run P&D..

City P&D (especially in the big markets) is a whole different animal than linehaul or OTR. It takes a good 5 years in many cases to actually become a good, efficient P&D driver. This is reflected at Holland currently with how many of the new guys get the easier runs. As well as the fact that standard hiring procedures in the past required that you had a minimum of experience to even be considered.

Throwing the new guys a bone and then in many cases pampering them is a recipe for disaster in the end when you have the aforementioned snowball of experienced, veteran, and route drivers not only disgruntled but counting down their day's.

For you and some others throwing the bone of giving these 10 mile graduates the same pay as a 20 plus year vet may be no big deal, but for others it is only another slap in the face after so much sacrifice and putting up with crap equipment and crap operations.

Overall this will be the biggest factor to the long term survival of the company.

The grass on this side is very brown at present and the landscaping company still needs to make bank so it still comes out and stirs up dust. At some point though all it is doing is killing the turf.

We have more freight than we can handle, we have added major accounts this year, we have raised pay for new hires at fourteen terminals, we are buying new tractors and new trailers, we are making money, what is exactly the reason that the company will be gone in two years? I have actually worked for two companies that went bankrupt and one that replaced the union drivers with non union drivers and I do not see the same things going on here that I have seen in the past. I here all these guys saying the end is near, rip, doom and gloom, but the company just keeps on rolling? Please tell me what I am missing? Yes we have some older trucks but our fleet is in so much better shape than it was four years ago and yes management is turning over at terminals but they are replacing them and in some cases it is an improvement, not all. Maintenance could be better but it could be worse much like the new hires, I would say fifty percent are pretty good drivers. I just don't see why guys should jump ship now, if you rode it out this long why not ride it out for another 18 months and see how it plays out? That is my plan! But best of luck brothers if you do go elsewhere just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side!

This is off topic but I want to let everyone know that if they ask you your 20 they already know.
We are improvising the new elogs and day two of it they were calling drivers into office and showing them on google earth ( I assume) exactly where their trailers were and even zooming in on the street and business( Dunkin Donuts,Wendy's ect.) and asking them why they were at unauthorized stop and not showing a break.They now know when tractor is running ,moving or cut off.They showed a driver where he sat in his tractor for 20 minutes before logging his lunch.Although I don't think contract allows discipline from surveillance I do know they can fire you if they follow you with union witness if you are stealing time.
I read entire grievance of driver that was putting the meat to them and he went to committee and lost his job first offense. Be careful brothers,city and road.
They can't discipline over technology, but you are damn rooting tooting they can assign YRC Security with a camera to log and document.. playing their hand like that even though we knew they had the ability was stupid!

They are having a problem getting drivers as it is, so solution?

Discipline the ones they got?

Fire them for stealing time?

That's the problem today! A driver is always going to "find his time" no matter what technology so called advances are instituted. It is also why many seasoned drivers are leaving and many people are not getting into the Industry among other reasons like DOT physicals and regulations.

Isn't it a wonder how we ever operated prior to handhelds and all the gizmos? We actually moved more freight and ran better back in the day of pen and paper and a 1(800) dispatch call. Guys always "found their time" and then some! But they also had the experience and knowledge to get the job done!

Heck route drivers would go to daily's and in many cases call ahead and get the freight before dispatch would "send" you there. Guys would work together on the road and help one another cover space if need be. Today all the micro management has actually slowed things down and leave customers hanging in many cases.

I can't tell you how many times on my old route alone a customer would tell me we missed them while I was in the area with room, but dispatched across town instead. In the old days I would have just swung in there knowing what time they closed, what time in general the freight would be ready, and know who would move something if need be.. nope not anymore, after all the dispatcher has to move his little mouse around and assign all work now... that is if the technology isn't crashed for the afternoon peak periods of course..

Toby, I could sit here and discuss point by point everything you said but it getting old. I am the first to agree that things are far from perfect and their is much that could improve. My point was that I do not think the company is on the verge of going bankrupt. I agree that things have gotten worse for the drivers in the past and might get worse in the future. My question to you is where could I go tomorrow and get a better job? I am 58 years old and have been a Teamster for many years, many of the other companies will not hire me for one or both of these reasons. But even if you forget those two things, where are the good truck driving jobs? I recently thought about applying for a job at OD, I even put together my resume and set up an account on their website. But then you read what their drivers say about certain things and the fact they get paid very little for wait and breakdown and fueling and hooking and such combined with complaints about some of the terminals and not as good of health insurance and starting at the bottom and at the end of the week the dollar amount put into their checking account is almost the exact same as what I make now.
So please Toby if Holland is so terrible, please tell me where can I or should I go where the grass is so much greener and wonderful, the company where the pay and benefits are so great and management is wonderful, please tell me so I can get that resume sent off this afternoon yet! Thanks for the help I can't wait for Utopia to start in a couple weeks and I can leave all this horror behind!

They can't discipline over technology, but you are damn rooting tooting they can assign YRC Security with a camera to log and document.. playing their hand like that even though we knew they had the ability was stupid!

They are having a problem getting drivers as it is, so solution?

Discipline the ones they got?

Fire them for stealing time?

That's the problem today! A driver is always going to "find his time" no matter what technology so called advances are instituted. It is also why many seasoned drivers are leaving and many people are not getting into the Industry among other reasons like DOT physicals and regulations.

Isn't it a wonder how we ever operated prior to handhelds and all the gizmos? We actually moved more freight and ran better back in the day of pen and paper and a 1(800) dispatch call. Guys always "found their time" and then some! But they also had the experience and knowledge to get the job done!

Heck route drivers would go to daily's and in many cases call ahead and get the freight before dispatch would "send" you there. Guys would work together on the road and help one another cover space if need be. Today all the micro management has actually slowed things down and leave customers hanging in many cases.

I can't tell you how many times on my old route alone a customer would tell me we missed them while I was in the area with room, but dispatched across town instead. In the old days I would have just swung in there knowing what time they closed, what time in general the freight would be ready, and know who would move something if need be.. nope not anymore, after all the dispatcher has to move his little mouse around and assign all work now... that is if the technology isn't crashed for the afternoon peak periods of course..

Toby, I'm not rooting tooting about shi t.If I am going to spend one third of my life at a job I try to keep a somewhat positive perspective ,like thank you LORD for my provisions.
I will tell you with 100% certainty that if I dwelled totally on the negative my mental health would not let me stay.This company is not going to be turned around over night and I see their struggles but see progress and some hope for the future .Perhaps front facing cameras and working 13 hours a day mandatory and then 4 days per week at the non Union companies whim. would be better. The more per hour but no overtime pay non union lines would be better for some but not for me.If I allow myself to be perpetually miserable and negative I won't be on trucking boards bitching about it I WILL find another job.

84d7431a0057296373853c508340f680.jpg
Kinda the new policy with New Hires !
I asked around last night and several of the new guys are filing grievances on Monday! Not a single one of them have received their blue ribbon yet! By the way my barn is one that did not get the raise for the new guys and I don't think there are a lot of YES voters among them! There are also no recent truck driving school graduates among them. We have two new supervisors at night, one at first observation seems like a real *****, he should be around for many many years, the other guy appears to be very nice and friendly and willing to work with the drivers! I hope that second guy enjoys his new job when he leaves shortly!

I asked around last night and several of the new guys are filing grievances on Monday! Not a single one of them have received their blue ribbon yet! By the way my barn is one that did not get the raise for the new guys and I don't think there are a lot of YES voters among them! There are also no recent truck driving school graduates among them. We have two new supervisors at night, one at first observation seems like a real *****, he should be around for many many years, the other guy appears to be very nice and friendly and willing to work with the drivers! I hope that second guy enjoys his new job when he leaves shortly!

In past 4 years at my state of confusion barn , we have went threw 3 TM's and 3 supervisoer's and about 25 driver's and the new guys we can't send them out with more than 3 stops and they come in late & take off when ever and smashed up trucks on probation and we still keep them around and then to give them FULL pay after 30 days and nothing to Senior Driver's is a big slap in the face !! give us back say 5% pay or our weeks vacation time ??

Question for some of the Trucking Experts . What is the answer to the Inability to hire worker's ?:confused1:

Question for some of the Trucking Experts . What is the answer to the Inability to hire worker's ?:confused1:
Having the financial resources to pay employees top wages,and benefits,hire the best applicants,and keep turnover rates to tolerable levels.... I do not claim to be a trucking expert...I just drive trucks,and Work part time as a boardwalk technician.....

Last edited:
2019 contact , Union must put in a clause on "FORCED OVERTIME" , because for the guys that want to have LIFE can't now with all this Forced overtime :6788:

2019 contact , Union must put in a clause on "FORCED OVERTIME" , because for the guys that want to have LIFE can't now with all this Forced overtime :6788:

Forced OT, been dealing with this for sometime now year round. Its a curse and blessing all at sametime, work-life balance seriously lacking.

In past 4 years at my state of confusion barn , we have went threw 3 TM's and 3 supervisoer's and about 25 driver's and the new guys we can't send them out with more than 3 stops and they come in late & take off when ever and smashed up trucks on probation and we still keep them around and then to give them FULL pay after 30 days and nothing to Senior Driver's is a big slap in the face !! give us back say 5% pay or our weeks vacation time ??
You sound like your in Milwaukee?