Holland | City Driver's Running out of Hours !

Ok , so working us like dogs and WON'T turn trucks up and driver's running out of hours , guess not seeing the BIG picture here ??? , :regretful:

They can't discipline over technology, but you are damn rooting tooting they can assign YRC Security with a camera to log and document.. playing their hand like that even though we knew they had the ability was stupid!

They are having a problem getting drivers as it is, so solution?

Discipline the ones they got?

Fire them for stealing time?

That's the problem today! A driver is always going to "find his time" no matter what technology so called advances are instituted. It is also why many seasoned drivers are leaving and many people are not getting into the Industry among other reasons like DOT physicals and regulations.

Isn't it a wonder how we ever operated prior to handhelds and all the gizmos? We actually moved more freight and ran better back in the day of pen and paper and a 1(800) dispatch call. Guys always "found their time" and then some! But they also had the experience and knowledge to get the job done!

Heck route drivers would go to daily's and in many cases call ahead and get the freight before dispatch would "send" you there. Guys would work together on the road and help one another cover space if need be. Today all the micro management has actually slowed things down and leave customers hanging in many cases.

I can't tell you how many times on my old route alone a customer would tell me we missed them while I was in the area with room, but dispatched across town instead. In the old days I would have just swung in there knowing what time they closed, what time in general the freight would be ready, and know who would move something if need be.. nope not anymore, after all the dispatcher has to move his little mouse around and assign all work now... that is if the technology isn't crashed for the afternoon peak periods of course..
You nailed it. Technology has hurt trucking more than helping it. Insurance underwriters are the boss. The feds demand drug tests, electronic monitoring of the driver & the truck demanded by insurance companies, and on & on. Not to many 18 year old people want to go thru the process of being able to drive, & then stay out 2 to 3 weeks @ a time. Cuts in to their social life to much. von.

b6bea7f0ca9848cba9d82338019ab98f.jpg
Monday's morning meeting !

Why are city guys working over 14 hours a day with these rules ? Federal regulations require truckers to track four different timers. The first limits a driver to working 70 hours in an eight-day period. The second limits the workday to 14 consecutive hours, regardless of what the driver is doing; this clock keeps going even if the driver takes a nap. The third caps driving at 11 hours within that 14. The fourth requires a 30-minute break at least every eight hours.

Why are city guys working over 14 hours a day with these rules ? Federal regulations require truckers to track four different timers. The first limits a driver to working 70 hours in an eight-day period. The second limits the workday to 14 consecutive hours, regardless of what the driver is doing; this clock keeps going even if the driver takes a nap. The third caps driving at 11 hours within that 14. The fourth requires a 30-minute break at least every eight hours.
I beg to different here a little bit. You can work 100 hours a week on the dock or doing 5 jobs combined. What you can't do is DRIVE if you work to many hours 'driving or not'. Working both the dock & driving in the same day or week & maxing out hours is normal for most LTL outfits in today's market. Under DOT reg's you can work 60 in 7 or 70 in 8, then work another 20 hours not driving. The problem is you have to take time off until you catch up your recap & get under 60 or 70 hours worked. 1. You can work any number of hours you want, you just can't DRIVE until you have the hours to do so. 2. You can work 20 hours in a day, as long as you don't DRIVE past your 11 or after 14. 3. The cap of 11 hours is a DRIVING cap, not a other type of work cap. I used to cut grass before I went to work. If I started cutting grass @ noon for 3 hours & went DRIVING @ 4 PM, my 14 hour day started @ noon not 4. BUT, if all I did was work the dock & not drive, my work hours from mowing DID NOT effect how many hours I could work on the dock. But if I had to take a short run during my shift the mower hours took effect. Also, the mowing hours count against my 70 hour work week cap. The hours of where or how long did I work have no meaning until you get behind the wheel of a CMV. Be safe. von.

I beg to different here a little bit. You can work 100 hours a week on the dock or doing 5 jobs combined. What you can't do is DRIVE if you work to many hours 'driving or not'. Working both the dock & driving in the same day or week & maxing out hours is normal for most LTL outfits in today's market. Under DOT reg's you can work 60 in 7 or 70 in 8, then work another 20 hours not driving. The problem is you have to take time off until you catch up your recap & get under 60 or 70 hours worked. 1. You can work any number of hours you want, you just can't DRIVE until you have the hours to do so. 2. You can work 20 hours in a day, as long as you don't DRIVE past your 11 or after 14. 3. The cap of 11 hours is a DRIVING cap, not a other type of work cap. I used to cut grass before I went to work. If I started cutting grass @ noon for 3 hours & went DRIVING @ 4 PM, my 14 hour day started @ noon not 4. BUT, if all I did was work the dock & not drive, my work hours from mowing DID NOT effect how many hours I could work on the dock. But if I had to take a short run during my shift the mower hours took effect. Also, the mowing hours count against my 70 hour work week cap. The hours of where or how long did I work have no meaning until you get behind the wheel of a CMV. Be safe. von.

Any grass cutting hours for (Billy's Lawn Care Ser.) must be recorded on page 22 in your (Mowers R US) manual.
Any employee not reporting for work before 9AM, will be subject to discipline, any employee not completing
85% of his work assignment before 1500 hrs, will be subject to a 15% pay reduction.
These and any questions about grass cutting are covered under (The Hummingbird Article) in the Carolina Supplement.

Any grass cutting hours for (Billy's Lawn Care Ser.) must be recorded on page 22 in your (Mowers R US) manual.
Any employee not reporting for work before 9AM, will be subject to discipline, any employee not completing
85% of his work assignment before 1500 hrs, will be subject to a 15% pay reduction.
These and any questions about grass cutting are covered under (The Hummingbird Article) in the Carolina Supplement.
Now, after all that harassment who gets to sharpen the lawn mower blades? But, more important, can we show the mangers just how sharp those blades really are. von.

Blade sharpening is under a different classification and not covered under the Hummingbird Article
Funny you mention the Hummingbird Article. We have 2 feeders about 8 feet from where we sit on the back porch. Needless to say we have a lot of fun watching. My wife has actually had one drink nectar in a small bowl she was holding. Amazing birds that fly thousand of mile each year in their migration. von.

Funny you mention the Hummingbird Article. We have 2 feeders about 8 feet from where we sit on the back porch. Needless to say we have a lot of fun watching. My wife has actually had one drink nectar in a small bowl she was holding. Amazing birds that fly thousand of mile each year in their migration. von.

Von, try putting on a red ball cap or hat, sit very still, they will drink from your hand from a small pill bottle.

Von, try putting on a red ball cap or hat, sit very still, they will drink from your hand from a small pill bottle.
My neighbor is a camera happy nut. If I dressed like that it would end up on you tube & I could never live it down. Now, if someone wants to pay my bills & post it world wide, I have just 3 words. Lights. Camera, Action. von.

My neighbor is a camera happy nut. If I dressed like that it would end up on you tube & I could never live it down. Now, if someone wants to pay my bills & post it world wide, I have just 3 words. Lights. Camera, Action. von.

Make the wife wear the hat, you may catch a few, Hummingbird tongue is quite tasty, I've heard.

Make the wife wear the hat, you may catch a few, Hummingbird tongue is quite tasty, I've heard.
Hummingbirds can extend their long, skinny tongues twice as far as the bill, which helps them reach nectar deep inside flowers. The researchers spent hours examining the footage. In 2011, they published a study explaining that the hummingbird tongue is not a capillary tube, but instead works by trapping fluid. Aug 19, 2015.

Things in life you just can't live without. von.

Hummingbirds can extend their long, skinny tongues twice as far as the bill, which helps them reach nectar deep inside flowers. The researchers spent hours examining the footage. In 2011, they published a study explaining that the hummingbird tongue is not a capillary tube, but instead works by trapping fluid. Aug 19, 2015.

Things in life you just can't live without. von.

Ole Von's a walking encylopedia!
BTW, I've quit trapping them, takes too many drumsticks to make a meal