FedEx Freight | City drivers $$$$$$

MANNING 18

TB Lurker
Credits
Sup fellas ,I was just thinking,I have been here almost 4 years 2.5 as line haul driver and remainder city driver. I am not complaining and I know it will never change but city drivers should make more on hour than a line haul driver,your avg line haul driver with any decent time is going to make well over 80k to 100k . A city driver may make 40 to 60k and will never make much more.yes you guys work nights and more hours I just think its one hell of a night bonus,no I do not wanna work nights again just sayin I think city drivers should make a few bucks more per hour than line haul.

Sup fellas ,I was just thinking,I have been here almost 4 years 2.5 as line haul driver and remainder city driver. I am not complaining and I know it will never change but city drivers should make more on hour than a line haul driver,your avg line haul driver with any decent time is going to make well over 80k to 100k . A city driver may make 40 to 60k and will never make much more.yes you guys work nights and more hours I just think its one hell of a night bonus,no I do not wanna work nights again just sayin I think city drivers should make a few bucks more per hour than line haul.

City should be making about $24.50 everywhere. But....mileage pay is pretty close to industry standard and they are only making good money when they are rolling. I agree that the city should get paid more,but I don't equate it to what they make on the road.

It's really a tired arguement, but here we go again. As a road driver, when I was running I would work an average of 60 plus hours a week and gross 1400-1600 depending. If I was working that many hours in the city I'd be making damn near road money and I'd wanna hang myself (just sayin'). City work is only as hard as you let be.

Four whole years, my, aren't you the grizzled veteran.
So where does RC have to go to make 100k per year? Out here in the west where they fixed something that wasn't broken, that was/is an unattainable number for the most part, especially in Ca. After the "fix" my yard has a guy with 28 years that made 49k last year as a road driver on a day time run, best run he could get for daytime. You need thirty plus years to get one of the two 500 mi runs. Please remind me after I have thirty years in here how much money I can make. In the meantime my 22 years in linehaul will get me just over 60k this year.
And oh, by the way, GFY!.

Four whole years, my, aren't you the grizzled veteran.
So where does RC have to go to make 100k per year? Out here in the west where they fixed something that wasn't broken, that was/is an unattainable number for the most part, especially in Ca. After the "fix" my yard has a guy with 28 years that made 49k last year as a road driver on a day time run, best run he could get for daytime. You need thirty plus years to get one of the two 500 mi runs. Please remind me after I have thirty years in here how much money I can make. In the meantime my 22 years in linehaul will get me just over 60k this year.
And oh, by the way, GFY!.

you get up on the wrong side of the bed? Damn driver!

I'm gonna kick the city vs road pay can down the road but city should make at least as much as UPS fr. per hour. Hell there's a local gypsy outfit that pays a dollar more an hour than we do at top scale and they don't have to put up with using a brick or taking 5 minutes to sign 10 bills.

You know rigamortis set in a long time ago on this horse let the poor thing stay dead for **** sakes!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really a tired arguement, but here we go again. As a road driver, when I was running I would work an average of 60 plus hours a week and gross 1400-1600 depending. If I was working that many hours in the city I'd be making damn near road money and I'd wanna hang myself (just sayin'). City work is only as hard as you let be.

Somebody start a poll

I'm not saying who should make more than who. What I am saying is, you know what you signed up for and the pay you are recieved. If you didnt like what you heard, Why are you doing the job and bitching about it. I might add, where does it stop? Lets say you have 2 city drivers, 1 with 15 deliveries and 15 pickups. The second driver has 5 trailer swaps for the day. Should they get paid differntly cause one worked harder than the other? If a road driver working the dock unloaded 3 trailers and loaded 2 trailers should they get paid more cause the other road driver only unloaded 2 trailers and chased the rest of the bills the rest of the time. How about the spotters, if your out there for 5 hours or 8 hours and you only move 60 trailers but the other person only moves 20 should they get paid less? I think I've made my example here!! We all have easy days and hard days, if we didn't, this would not be the trucking bussiness. Quit worrying about who said what or how much they make or did something that does'nt effect you in any way and consentrate on your own job and I bet your stress level will drop a good percentage. If you want to be around drama or create drama, go back to high school and hang out with the teenagers.

My road bid AVERAGES @ $26.00/hr., no overtime, not all hours are paid either. The truck or fork has to be moving- taking barely a one-hour break. O.T. does not/will not, ever exist. Maybe two ten minute breaks and one 20 min. lunch, wasted- doing paperwork and dressing for the dock. Skipping lunch and breaks would allow me 2.25 -3.00 more hours a week- not really worth it. Working into Saturday and missing just about every evening program/dinner and sleeping @ 5 hours, is not worth it. Day runs starting after 10 am don't work for me.

Staying in the city 8-10 a.m., working an occasional road run with one or two Saturdays when needed would be much more worth it. If you want $80-100K a year, it's not going to happen here, anymore, anywhere- unless you live in Nebraska, Wyoming or Kansas- how long for that too? Fred wants to keep us all under 50k, I'm sure the city has a limit too. What? 35k?

Our city board is being loaded with dock to city/road drivers, for what I don't know. Most likely to keep O.T. to zero. I'm sure the extraboard is being screwed too, being that the occasional city driver seems to get called or placed on the board for unforeseen runs, leaving the X/B home, or placed on the other schedule/call block.

I was looked over all the time, and was tired of filing for miles, and jumping from am to pm shifts in the middle of the week...

I wish we all got paid the same.
I mean, there is a few centers less than 100 miles from me that the city makes $1.00-$2.00 per hour more than us. We have around 90 door dock and they have less than 20 doors each.
They say the cost of living is higher for that center.

I call BS on that one

How about this for an idea to run up the flag pole: when a driver performs an inside delivery, sort and segregate, etc. he gets half of the extra charges?

ITS all a game and who ever plays the game better makes more money, oh wait sorry I was watching hockey!! I will take my city job over road even if they make more then I, I could not work those late hours or deal with some red shirt who will get fired next week telling me how to load a trailer!!AS long as we all respect each others job and WAVE at a guy as he goes by regaurdless if her has a set or a lifgt gate, Maybe we are happier!!! good day!!