city drivers

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by tired & hungry, Jun 22, 2015.

1. tired & hungry

tired & hungry Member

Ok guys how do you like working for Dayton.
    Thinking about new horizons. Thanks.

2. Enforcer75

Enforcer75 Member

best company ive ever worked for

3. 2152

2152 Member

One of the best co. To work for .

4. maddgun

maddgun New Member

How's the pay and what ins you have and cost and are that going to open term. In Nashville?????

5. 2152

2152 Member

Great co. As I said before gave them a call u won't be sorry

6. RodeoClown

RodeoClown Member

Conway city driver here. Worse case scenario if I'm looking for a new job with this whole buyout thing? Is Dayton a good company pay/benifits?

7. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Great company, very competitive pay and benefits among the non-union LTLs. Real good atmosphere. All I can say is that there is a culture of positivity at Dayton, which is very strange when you aren't used to working at a place like that. There's no static between management and drivers (at least from what I've seen), unlike the adversarial environment I've heard about plaguing several other carriers, both union and non. It's truly the best job I've ever had.

That being said, Dayton is very small compared to Con-way and doesn't hire unless they really need to and can keep a driver working. Also, they don't let drivers rack up the super-ridiculous overtime like I've heard a lot of you guys talk about. We have dockworkers, so drivers aren't expected to strip their own trailers after peddling all day. I happen to like it that way, but someone used to dock time to pad his hours might not. You can't make $80k in the city here, but you can make a good living and also have a life.

Bottom line, I'd say hang in there and see what happens. XPO controls a helluva lot of freight from what I've noticed in the past few weeks. Now that I know who they are, they seem to be everywhere. It might be a very good thing for you guys. Good luck to ya, driver.

icuicp, MikeJ, Enforcer75 and 2 others like this.
  8. ConwayDSR

ConwayDSR Well-Known Member

Any reason why the linehaul drivers at Dayton speed all the time? I very often see them passing the likes of Fedex. Also, Kelley Transportation, does Dayton hire purchased transport or only use Kelley?

9. conartist

conartist Active Member

They have 71mph road tractors, probably the fastest of all the LTL's.

10. Birdman07

Birdman07 Keep turnin

Trucks are governed at 68 mph. But if you have new tires on you can get up to around 71 mph. A few stragglers that are not caught in the system that do over 70. We just like to get the freight there :) lol

conartist likes this.
  11. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I guess I'd need your definition of speeding. If a 62 mph truck gets passed by a 66 mph truck, and then they both get passed by a 68 mph truck, it can sure look like he's speeding, but he's only hauling ass in a relative sense. 68 in a 70? Not speeding. 68 in a 65? Technically yes, but not anything that the cops worry about. Either way, none of them that I've driven do over 68.379 mph.

Not too sure about what all Kelley does to be honest with you. I've been meaning to ask one of those guys, because I see them around occasionally, but not at night at my terminal when linehaul takes off. I don't know how integrated they are with Dayton, whether they fetch volume loads, cover linehaul, or just do their own thing like Conway Truckload. Not sure about hired PT, either. None at my barn anyway.
    I've never driven one that fast. But if I squint and tilt my head a little, it looks like it says 69!

12. ConwayDSR

Ah you guys are probably right. It just feels like they're flying past me while I'm stuck at 65!

icuicp and coondogg like this.
  13. MikeJ

MikeJ Well-Known Member

I think Dayton owns Kelly and that's like there truck load division.

14. ConwayDSR

You're right. I'm curious whether Dayton uses purchased transportation or just Kelley. http://www.kelleytrans.com/

15. shazam3

shazam3 Guest

Kelley is the truckload division of Dayton. They haul truckload for select customers.
    As for purchased transportation, Dayton uses it on select runs and some "interchange" runs with "strategic partners".
    There is not a lot of time for a late broker or O/O on 1 and 2 day service freight.