Yellow | City Tractors

wolleyworldd

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi,
While I was out in the yard last nite I noticed we at NRM have 3 city tractors that Yellow bought brand new!

2 were Fords, and 1 Brigadier.

Then I was thinking how many of these dinosaurs were left in the system.

These tractors are vintage 1987 0r 1988.

How many of these do you have at your terminal?
wolleyworldd

wolleyworldd said:
Hi,
While I was out in the yard last nite I noticed we at NRM have 3 city tractors that Yellow bought brand new!

2 were Fords, and 1 Brigadier.

Then I was thinking how many of these dinosaurs were left in the system.

These tractors are vintage 1987 0r 1988.

How many of these do you have at your terminal?
wolleyworldd

We have 6 GMCs left all 1988 vintage, the Ford we had left last year. Here is the Brigadier I drive daily.

GMC_LCV.jpg

Joe8 said:
do you pulll that thing like that with a brig or is it an opitical illusion.

No, its not an optical illusion, we pull these rocky mountain sets along with triples regularly with this tractor. Power is a Cummins L10, but its not the 240 HP version, I think its the 280 HP version.

Jimmy B

25 years ago, I thought I had a big, powerful truck. A KW with a 430, turned up to 500 hp at the wheels. I thought I was hot stuff until I ran West. I had nothing. Even UPS triples gave me a run out there sometimes.......

One of the dumbest things I ever did was try to run with a UPS set across the Salt Flats in the fog. For about 60 miles we hammered down in the left lane.......finally I stopped at the old 76 TS. My entire front end was covered with ice, about 6" thick. Only two holes for the headlights........I STOPPED, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! He hollered back "Wish I could!". I have the UTMOST respect for Western Drivers...........it's a whole 'nother world!: :clap: :highfive: :beerchug:

jimmy g said:
25 years ago, I thought I had a big, powerful truck. A KW with a 430, turned up to 500 hp at the wheels. I thought I was hot stuff until I ran West. I had nothing. Even UPS triples gave me a run out there sometimes.......

One of the dumbest things I ever did was try to run with a UPS set across the Salt Flats in the fog. For about 60 miles we hammered down in the left lane.......finally I stopped at the old 76 TS. My entire front end was covered with ice, about 6" thick. Only two holes for the headlights........I STOPPED, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! He hollered back "Wish I could!". I have the UTMOST respect for Western Drivers...........it's a whole 'nother world!: :clap: :highfive: :beerchug:
yeah i hate running out there. IT really sucks only going 61 while everyone else goes past you.

When I worked in Ashtabula 89-92 I drove an old Brigadier twin screw road tractor, Detroit and 10 speed. Earplugs required. Pulled about as good as a sewing machine motor. But gimme 10 miles of flat road it would top out at 76 MPH and 2300 RPM's of screamin Detroit. Till it needed more oil.

Barney said:
When I worked in Ashtabula 89-92 I drove an old Brigadier twin screw road tractor, Detroit and 10 speed. Earplugs required. Pulled about as good as a sewing machine motor. But gimme 10 miles of flat road it would top out at 76 MPH and 2300 RPM's of screamin Detroit. Till it needed more oil.

Barney,

Thanks for the laugh!

Jimmy B

jimmy g said:

Wow, I wouldn't know what to do with all that horse power:duh: The biggest motor I've ever had in a truck was 350 HP started driving in 1970 with a big Cummins 220! But that 220 would spit fire out of the stack, nice slow show pulling Jarbo Gap into the Feather River Canyon. Lets see, about 3 MPH!

Man-O-man, they just laid up another GMC here in Reno, and I'm shopping...Lets see, I want the plastic bumpers left and right, next the chrome muffler guard, also want one arm rest to replace the worn out one I have. The big deal would be a hood swap, the surplus unit has a prestine hood. Then take care of the oxide with a rubbing combound, next apply a wax, wow a almost classic show truck!

I want to thank Hank's for helping me remember, I like trucks and its OK to enjoy what you do...

The guys at work are just laughing at my re-found love of what I do...Thanks Hank's for helping me to remember, I chose trucking and love it!

The past two weekends I did some nice things for me. Here is my entertainment center installed in my "Brig."

entertainment.jpg

I hope my "Brig" lasts into my retirement!

Jimmy B

Elephants Graveyard

JimmyB said:
Man-O-man, they just laid up another GMC here in Reno, and I'm shopping...Lets see, I want the plastic bumpers left and right, next the chrome muffler guard, also want one arm rest to replace the worn out one I have. The big deal would be a hood swap, the surplus unit has a prestine hood. Then take care of the oxide with a rubbing combound, next apply a wax, wow a almost classic show truck!

I want to thank Hank's for helping me remember, I like trucks and its OK to enjoy what you do...

The guys at work are just laughing at my re-found love of what I do...Thanks Hank's for helping me to remember, I chose trucking and love it!

The past two weekends I did some nice things for me. Here is my entertainment center installed in my "Brig."

entertainment.jpg

I hope my "Brig" lasts into my retirement!

Jimmy B

Hi,
Now I know where all the old city tractors go when they die!!!
wolleyworldd

wolleyworldd said:
Hi,
Now I know where all the old city tractors go when they die!!!
wolleyworldd

NO, this tractor has always been a RNE tractor, what are you saying?

Oh, my god, Im painting the wheels next!

Sound System

Hi,
My compliments Jimmy,
after spending sooo much time in a brig,
your sound system set-up looks top shelf!
Looks like plenty of speaker to drown out the LOUD sound of the motor and the wind noise of the 255 air conditioning.
wolleyworldd

wolleyworldd said:
Hi,
My compliments Jimmy,
after spending sooo much time in a brig,
your sound system set-up looks top shelf!
Looks like plenty of speaker to drown out the LOUD sound of the motor and the wind noise of the 255 air conditioning.
wolleyworldd

Oh, you noticed the speakers! Got a laugh out of that, been 90 here for the past couple of days, been running that 255 air!:grinning-smiley-021

JimmyB said:
We have 6 GMCs left all 1988 vintage, the Ford we had left last year. Here is the Brigadier I drive daily.

I kinda like the look of the GMC Brigadier. If you're a car buff, look at it from the side. Notice the shape of the doors, particularly the top. They resemble '67-'72 Chevy pickups, my favorite body style.

In POR we have mostly Brigs, I would say about thirty of them, we still have two that are 84's they don't even have power steering!

Brigs

silvertooth said:
In POR we have mostly Brigs, I would say about thirty of them, we still have two that are 84's they don't even have power steering!

Hi,
The one I drove had power steering by ARMstrong.
I used to have one that had ps but one of my coworkers did a "desk job" and got the dispatch to switch with me.
I estimate it cost them 2-3 stops a day because my arms were just so tired from 18-20 stops.
Whatever respect anyone had for my coworker went down the *hitter.
wolleyworldd