Estes | Classification

jasonthedragon

FORMER Pumpkin
Credits
I apologize if this has been discussed before but I wanted to know after how many days are you allowed to bid on a run after your start date? I was hired as a combo driver and want to eventually take a line bid if one comes available. Also if, for some reason, a bid is vacated by a driver who quits or is fired am I allowed to immediately take it?

I apologize if this has been discussed before but I wanted to know after how many days are you allowed to bid on a run after your start date? I was hired as a combo driver and want to eventually take a line bid if one comes available. Also if, for some reason, a bid is vacated by a driver who quits or is fired am I allowed to immediately take it?
I think the policy is 90 days but if someone vacates a run then I think if know one else signs for the bid then I think then you can get the bid at that time. But I could be wrong.

You can bid from day one. Bear in mind that as a combo driver, for you to get a linehaul bid run that would mean nobody in linehaul (or extraboard) signed the run. If nobody in linehaul wants a posted run then it's awarded to the bidder with the most company driving time.

If somebody quits or gets fired the run is posted for bids for a week.

For your time to count in linehaul, you'd have to change to linehaul (extraboard usually), and then you get your combo time added to your linehaul time after 90 days.

So if you're combo for 9 months, then move to extraboard (or take a bid nobody else wanted), after 90 days you'd have a year of linehaul time.

Clear as mud?

I edited this post to try to make more sense. Not sure if it helped.

Last edited:
You can bid from day one. Bear in mind that as a combo driver, for you to get a linehaul bid run that would mean nobody in linehaul (or extraboard) signed the run. If nobody in linehaul wants a posted run then it's awarded to the bidder with the most company driving time.

If somebody quits or gets fired the run is posted for bids for a week.

For your time to count in linehaul, you'd have to change to linehaul (extraboard usually), and then you get your combo time added to your linehaul time after 90 days.

So if you're combo for 9 months, then move to extraboard (or take a bid nobody else wanted), after 90 days you'd have a year of linehaul time.

Clear as mud?

I edited this post to try to make more sense. Not sure if it helped.

Makes sense to me, thanks!

Make sure ya get put on the wish list for LH or they will hire someone right off the street. Tell your tm you want on the wish list....good luck

Runs are hard to come by at my barn. I have passed on P &D twice. I have surcomed to the Notion that I will have to stay combo for my remaining 14 years. I have NO desire to run city the Estes way!!!

If you are combo and move into another classification, your combo time gets added to your new classification time after 90 days.

I'd be careful which class you jump into tho. I'm not 100% on this but I think if carry your combo time to city or hub you'll lose any linehaul time that you've could have acquired through combo. (After your 90 day)
I think linehaul rules here but some terminals have mostly hub runs which more hub time at these barns will rule if having a schedule and getting home is more important. If your at a terminal with lots of linehaul schedules, I'd ride it out for years if I had to just to get a gravy linehaul schedule. Think it'll be worth waiting for in the long run

Guess so. In July 2012 I think... The old utility classification was renamed to combo. Now combo drivers can carry their driving time to another classification after they've been in the new classification for 90 days.

So if you're combo for 9 months and then go to extraboard. After 90 days you'd have 1 year of linehaul time.

Guess so. In July 2012 I think... The old utility classification was renamed to combo. Now combo drivers can carry their driving time to another classification after they've been in the new classification for 90 days.

So if you're combo for 9 months and then go to extraboard. After 90 days you'd have 1 year of linehaul time.

This is second hand hear say. The driver I talked to out of Dallas did a transfer from the east coast. They told him his combo time was nothing 6 plus years. I am new and living in a hotel paying my dues. I feel like that is the price to pay to have a good linehaul run.
I know there are combo drivers that think they are doing the same. But they are home every day already. Not sure if this makes my point or not. This is why i hired on linehaul extra board.
Just as they feel that the time they put in should be respected. I feel the time i spent away from family and getting bit by bed bugs three times in one year is worth a schedule spot.
I hope this is a great post that makes sense to all Estes Express Drivers. I feel we all are worth what we earn for what we do!!!!

Any combo time before the policy change in July 2012 doesn't count. Maybe his utility/combo time came before then.

I can take a pic of the policy and post it for you if you like. It's posted in Memphis for everyone to see.

I tend to agree with you regarding the category system and spending a week away from home at a time. I can see both sides of it and it's hard to be fair. We just have too many doggone categories.

Instead of hub and linehaul, there should be runs with and without dock work. Scheduled runs that need to be covered due to vacation or illness should be covered by extraboard drivers based on seniority.

Just my opinions.