SAIA | close to joining saia team

I pay $250 / month for bennies where I am at now. but health is BCBS 80/20 with a 3200 deductible and $30 co-pay with no RX script coverage until deductible is met. The company brags like this combined with an HSA they the no longer pay into is a great offer when it used to be much better. I want better for my family so want to make sure I get on with a ltl company that offers better.

13050 avg... that grosses 64K. The recruiter told me I'd be making 70K+ first year but I am not seeing it from what other new Saia drivers are saying on the boards. bummer
If you average 1350 a week fief , that is 70k a year . That is not hard to do at that barn at all , but it all depends on how hard you want to run. There will be weeks you may not see home very much ,there will be weeks you see home everyday. The system can be a crap shoot sometimes , but during the winter if you can stay out I would . Insurance is not the greatest nor is it the worst , it will run you about 250 a month for medical and dental for family coverage. And remember there is no spousal coverage starting in 2015 if your spouse is eligible for coverage elsewhere. The people at the barn in Dallas are cordial most will help you out with whatever you need.

Bareknuckle nailed it. To get good miles in dls you'll need to work every Sat and/or Sun and it'll take time to learn the system. I've been here almost 6 months and couldn't be happier with my move from food service.

Btw, I'm at 33k with 3 weeks to go before my 6 month mark. That's with signing up for weekend work and staying out as much as they'll let me.

I'm jumping from food service as well. So if I choose to work weekends, do I get weekdays choices off? or is that saying I have to work 7 days a week? I've got a young one and a wife of 17 years I would like to keep.

You'll always get atleast Sat or Sun off for sure. It's just hard to turn down easy work on the weekends when it's slow on Sun going into Mon.

Coming from food service it took alittle bit to understand how freight works but you'll catch on quickly. I have been pretty lucky to hold a set run for about 2-2 1/2 months total since I started but with senior guys transferring in I'm 99.9% sure I'll be on the extra board again when the new bid starts in mid Nov.

Be prepared to be on extra board for awhile but when you finally get a set run it'll be worth it. I kick myself for not jumping years ago but at 36 it's gonna be nice doing this kind of work instead of busting my ass in food service.

Just stick with it and be patient and super safety minded it takes time to secure you a run and top out its harder at big terminals because ppl are quitting or getting fired all the time last year I made 82,000 I do work 12-13 hrs a day but I am home every day and on the weekends the secret to staying around here is be safe do what your told mind your own business be on time don't call in sick without a dr excuse and don't lose your temper AND FOR GOD SAKES DO NOT HAVE AN ACCIDENT IF YOU CAN HELP IT 98% OF THE TIME THIS WILL BE THE ONE THING THAT GETS YOU FIRED!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I would agree with everything suicidejockey says. When and if you have an accident, its like blood in the water, and the great white Saia will come at you with both barrels blazin'. Also, I always pass this on...Do not, under any circumstances, raise your voice, get angry with, question, ANYTHING with Central Dispatch. Remember that phone calls to central are recorded, and will be used against you. Now, if someone from central comes at you, very respectfully and kindly say something like "I do not feel comfortable talking to you and I feel disrespected." And document the entire situation and make your supervisor aware ASAP. And don't call central looking for a run. They hate that and will black-list you. Don't refuse to pull a load without actually hooking up and leaving the yard. Just hook up, drive like 3 miles, then turn around and say the weather is making conditions unsafe. This way the freight is weather coded. If you don't leave the yard, you will get fired. Trust me. I've seen 15 year guys get fired for this very reason. Also, don't get after dock supervisors unless you have a legitimate beef. Like if they close your load, but don't give you the paperwork, and you get a late departure. Remember you are allowed 1/2 hour AFTER the paperwork is given to you to hook and do a pre-trip. Because late departures get attached to you, the driver. Follow the chain of command at all costs. DO NOT leapfrog your immediate supervisor. This will lead to disaster, even if you have a legitimate argument. Keep your mouth shut, ideas to yourself, do your job. That's all they want from drivers. Hope this helps and good luck.

Much thanks for the words of wisdom and info. anyone know what the family health insurance is? What co pays, deductibles and monthly cost is? Do guys get laid off or **** poor checks in winter when freight slows? wondering if I should wait till spring to join.

There was a lay off a few years back. About 5 years ago. Freight generally does slow down in winter, and that's when supervisors and bosses will look to be cutting expenses, hours, runs, etc... It's dog eat dog after the first of the year. Lot of jealousy and animosity, in my experience. And don't dare mention it, because they don't want to hear it. Family health insurance is $37.50 a week, $25 co-pay for doctor visits. That's health and vision. Dental is extra. I would say join now, and let the chips fall where they may. At least get in there and get some experience.

Thanks bigbuck. Do you know what, if any, the deductible is for medical and the coverage (i,e. 80/20)?
I've got 10 yrs experience. My reluctance is joining during the slow down. can't afford to make less then what I am now. I need to at least make 1300 a week so how bad of a slow down is it for the new guys is whats on my mind.

I was told by recruiter that I would come in at .51cpm for my experience and it would be considered coming in at a year in. but I just saw an ad they are running offering .51 cpm to all who join.

Just stick with it and be patient and super safety minded it takes time to secure you a run and top out its harder at big terminals because ppl are quitting or getting fired all the time last year I made 82,000 I do work 12-13 hrs a day but I am home every day and on the weekends the secret to staying around here is be safe do what your told mind your own business be on time don't call in sick without a dr excuse and don't lose your temper AND FOR GOD SAKES DO NOT HAVE AN ACCIDENT IF YOU CAN HELP IT 98% OF THE TIME THIS WILL BE THE ONE THING THAT GETS YOU FIRED!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
What's up with people being fired all the time? Hmmm doesn't sound like a very secure job.Do all the employees have to look behind them all the time? Just asking

What's up with people being fired all the time? Hmmm doesn't sound like a very secure job.Do all the employees have to look behind them all the time? Just asking
Actually you really must screw up big time to get fired....Unless you rub someone the wrong way and they get it in for you... And even then everything goes through HR ... The TM can only suggest termination but he actually has no teeth to do anything .... There must be a pretty good paper trail in most cases .... If you just do your job and keep your mouth shut even when you get pissed off you could easily retire from here ... Accidents are the number one reason for a termination....That's why I take it slow and easy ... Let the young guys get out there and speed around and cut corners on safety.... Remember the story of the Tortoise and the Hare .... Safety is always first with me ....And safety takes a little more time...I may be a little slower but I get the job done .....Accident free...... The Hare got a little cocky and fell asleep (accident) But I just kept plugging along and crossed the finish line before that cocky arrogant little speedster .... He had a lot to prove to "the man" ....Had to show how fast he was ... I got nothing to prove to anyone... He was so busy trying to make me look bad he forgot to take care of his own business...Triple check that hook .... Triple check those electrical and telephone lines... Triple check your back door with a lock ...Walk around that strip shopping center three times to make sure you have an easy route out .... Always get out and look before you back....Yep ..... 3 times. Google that residential on satellite just to be sure... You can do that just once... Be safe because with a clean CDL you can go anywhere... Don't be pressured to hurry. :TR10driving03:

Last edited by a moderator: