Holland | Closing of Terminals

I wonder why any of you are Teamsters in the first place. With all the "choking on their dinners", "stuffing of pockets", side deals, votes that have apparently already been tabulated for automatic passage, and the rest of the general screwing you get from the IBT. The only time I hear a lot of you say anything good about the union is when you are jumping down the throat of a non-union driver. If it's as bad as some of you portray, then why pay dues at all. If I felt the way that some of you do, I sure wouldn't.

Your gonna sit there and tell me Hoffa and the boys didnt know this was coming?

Thanks for the concern guys.
Personally, I will be OK. We all know that driving jobs are a dime a dozen. They just don’t compare to a NMFA company. To bad there are only a couple left to go to. My concern is with my friends who lost their jobs.
A lot of good men were thrown to the wolves today and I wish them the best.

I was told that YRC is going to evaluate every USF terminal and any of them that operate in the red will close. Hope what’s left can stay afloat. I just don’t think they are quite finished destroying peoples lives. I Hope I’m wrong.
Thanks Murph, now get off my leg....

I wonder why any of you are Teamsters in the first place. With all the "choking on their dinners", "stuffing of pockets", side deals, votes that have apparently already been tabulated for automatic passage, and the rest of the general screwing you get from the IBT. The only time I hear a lot of you say anything good about the union is when you are jumping down the throat of a non-union driver. If it's as bad as some of you portray, then why pay dues at all. If I felt the way that some of you do, I sure wouldn't.

You'd throw out the baby with the bath water then??? :shrug:

The way i see it this only the start of what is to come.They only used 5 million of the 22million yrcw had for severances.Good luck to you Murphy and everyone who is effected by yrc's big stick.:chairshot::chairshot::chairshot:
We are not getting a severance...only non contractual hourly employees are eligible for two weeks of notification pay from date of annoucement...if no work available during the two week notification they will get the full two weeks pay. I have no idea what the sales people or TM,s that sat on their azzzzzzs and let this happen will get....I have a lot more I would like to get off my chest but all the MOD,s might fire me from the board if I start my s***.

We are not getting a severance...only non contractual hourly employees are eligible for two weeks of notification pay from date of annoucement...if no work available during the two week notification they will get the full two weeks pay. I have no idea what the sales people or TM,s that sat on their azzzzzzs and let this happen will get....I have a lot more I would like to get off my chest but all the MOD,s might fire me from the board if I start my s***.
Amen brother!
If you wish, I can give you a leg to hun.. cry on. :smilie_132:

Whether they did or not, what power did they have to stop or change it?

Not trying to start anything here. But it's ok to let a man wake up early AM drive to work (some guys travel up to 2 hours 1 way) only to find out he has no job?:nutkick:
How bout his dignity? His life could've just been destroyed. Some of these places aren't booming metropolises. They just can't go out and get another job other than minimum wage.
And you the let man find out this way??
C'mon, that's about the lowest form of scum you can find if you ask me. Disgusting.
But that's ok, we should just accept it as is. It doesn't affect us.:cuss:

Not trying to start anything here. But it's ok to let a man wake up early AM drive to work (some guys travel up to 2 hours 1 way) only to find out he has no job?
How bout his dignity? His life could've just been destroyed. Some of these places aren't booming metropolises. They just can't go out and get another job other than minimum wage.
And you the let man find out this way??
C'mon, that's about the lowest form of scum you can find if you ask me. Disgusting.
But that's ok, we should just accept it as is. It doesn't affect us.
Slab,
I'm not saying that the way it was done is right at all. It is disgusting. But what makes you so certain that anyone at the IBT knew it would happen this way.....and if they did could they have made YRC do it another way? My point is....why are some of you misplacing your anger in the direction of the IBT? It isn't their job to operate any of the companies. It's their job to enforce the contract, work rules, make sure H&W and pension contributions are made, etc. I just don't get it. Was the major snowstorm that hit the upper Midwest this week all the IBT's fault too? If you're assuming that the IBT doesn't care what's happening here I'd say you're probably 100% wrong. It was YRC's decision....not the IBT.

Slab,
I'm not saying that the way it was done is right at all. It is disgusting. But what makes you so certain that anyone at the IBT knew it would happen this way.....and if they did could they have made YRC do it another way? My point is....why are some of you misplacing your anger in the direction of the IBT? It isn't their job to operate any of the companies. It's their job to enforce the contract, work rules, make sure H&W and pension contributions are made, etc. I just don't get it. Was the major snowstorm that hit the upper Midwest this week all the IBT's fault too? If you're assuming that the IBT doesn't care what's happening here I'd say you're probably 100% wrong. It was YRC's decision....not the IBT.

Stldude I think this answers your question (look at he dates). Looks like they knew on the 5th

http://www.teamster.org/divisions/Freight/pdfs/080207_Holland.pdf

What is the reason?
Come on STL your not allowed to play ignorant or clueless. :biglaugh: We all know better. But for the ones that might not be as up as we are. The ANNOUNCEMENT was put off untill after the ballot return deadline so as not to influence any people to vote no. Both IBT and YRC want this passed. And pulled every trick to do that. Clear enough?:smilie_132:

Dangit Flattop if you gonna argue something don't use Mngt 101. "If you don't like it leave" I hate that and it's beneath a Teamster.:argue: At least tell us you think your smater than the rest of us but don't resort to cheep shots like the boss does.:smilie_132:

Yes they can because the work is not being moved to another terminal.
I hate to say this because I work at one of the locations they are closing.
We can however, transfer to a terminal within our region and go to the bottom of the board, but with all the layoffs that will never happen.
According to my TM, The term "TRANSFER" should not be used in this case. There is no transfer option. You would be just like a new hire off the street. I would quickly get on the locals list for placement to signal my intentions to stay at a union company.

According to my TM, The term "TRANSFER" should not be used in this case. There is no transfer option. You would be just like a new hire off the street. I would quickly get on the locals list for placement to signal my intentions to stay at a union company.

thats what murphy said they would go to the bottom. they shouldnt have to jump threw the hoops.

Come on STL your not allowed to play ignorant or clueless. We all know better. But for the ones that might not be as up as we are. The ANNOUNCEMENT was put off untill after the ballot return deadline so as not to influence any people to vote no. Both IBT and YRC want this passed. And pulled every trick to do that. Clear enough?
Wolf,
What's clear is that it was going to happen anyway, as bad as it is for the Holland and Reddaway guys. If you choose to believe that this would have swung the voting to no votes in a big way had it been announced earlier so be it. All the negativity in the world won't change it.

thats what murphy said they would go to the bottom. they shouldnt have to jump threw the hoops.
I agree that they shouln't have to jump through hoops, but the term "transfer" means that they retain some of the benefits from their previous job. I.e. pay, medical, vacations, sick. MY point is that they start like a new hire with nothing but union years of credit to continue. They even have to go through pay progession. :nutkick:

Wolf,
What's clear is that it was going to happen anyway, as bad as it is for the Holland and Reddaway guys. If you choose to believe that this would have swung the voting to no votes in a big way had it been announced earlier so be it. All the negativity in the world won't change it.
Man you act like negativity is a bad thing. I think theres something wrong with people who see silver linings all over the place. :hysterical: Seriously, the vote is all but over and now we will have to find something else to argue about. :smilie_132:

that is why we must THANK the IBT for getting any of us the respect for the years of being a TEAMSTER. To start out at the bottom what a JOKE.:chairshot::nutkick: