Cole's Express - Maine -1971

SuperCourse did you ever hear of a Boston based LTL trucking company named Capitol Motor Freight? I think they had Maine terminals in Portland, Lisbon Falls and Waterville. My father worked out of the Lisbon Falls terminal back in the early 60s. I remember that the US Gypsum plant and the textile mill along the Androscoggin river were big accounts for them.

SuperCourse did you ever hear of a Boston based LTL trucking company named Capitol Motor Freight? I think they had Maine terminals in Portland, Lisbon Falls and Waterville. My father worked out of the Lisbon Falls terminal back in the early 60s. I remember that the US Gypsum plant and the textile mill along the Androscoggin river were big accounts for them.

Don't recall CMF. There were so many small carriers back then, it's hard to remember them all. It was a good time to be a trucker back then.

Don't recall CMF. There were so many small carriers back then, it's hard to remember them all. It was a good time to be a trucker back then.
dear god, yes, there were like as many companies as there are now DD's at every corner.

Branch, St. Johnsbury, Yale, Carolina, among what i can recall right at the moment...i know Carolina got swallowed up by ABF.

Never knew Coles was taken over by roadway.

dear god, yes, there were like as many companies as there are now DD's at every corner.

Branch, St. Johnsbury, Yale, Carolina, among what i can recall right at the moment...i know Carolina got swallowed up by ABF.

Never knew Coles was taken over by roadway.

It wasn't Roadway Express. It was Roadway Services which was basically Roadway Package Service. Then they put all these smaller regionals together to offer LTL freight. Don't remember what happened to them but eventually RPS was bought by FedEx and became FedEx Ground.

Surprised you remember Yale, they weren't that big. There were dozens of them up here in New England. Graf, Quinn, Wooster, Schuster, Monohan, Beacon Fast Freight, Burgmeyer, Lombard, M&M, Holmes, Hemingway. Was interesting times.

My first union LTL was Eazor Express,they closed after merging with Danial's Motor Freight.
There was a wildcat strike when the 2 companies employees had to dove tail.
When I started with them I was assigned a brand new Ford cabover box truck for P&D.

It wasn't Roadway Express. It was Roadway Services which was basically Roadway Package Service. Then they put all these smaller regionals together to offer LTL freight. Don't remember what happened to them but eventually RPS was bought by FedEx and became FedEx Ground.

Surprised you remember Yale, they weren't that big. There were dozens of them up here in New England. Graf, Quinn, Wooster, Schuster, Monohan, Beacon Fast Freight, Burgmeyer, Lombard, M&M, Holmes, Hemingway. Was interesting times.
oh geez, i worked for RPS way back in the early 1990's? what a freaking job that was. glad i had up and quit when i did. literally, walked over to the neighboring trucking company and got a job on the spot...that was Highway Express, MR. Cochran who once founded/owned Overnite, started that one, when he sold out Overnite...

oh geez, i worked for RPS way back in the early 1990's? what a freaking job that was. glad i had up and quit when i did. literally, walked over to the neighboring trucking company and got a job on the spot...that was Highway Express, MR. Cochran who once founded/owned Overnite, started that one, when he sold out Overnite...

Yea, when Roadway Express and Roadway Package were split up, the tyrants of management went to RPS. Like Dan Sullivan, the Fedex Ground guys probably remember him.

Yea, when Roadway Express and Roadway Package were split up, the tyrants of management went to RPS. Like Dan Sullivan, the Fedex Ground guys probably remember him.
Did anyone experience Ivan Hofmann? He was vice president of operations with RPS, and then an executive vice president with FedEx Ground. When he was district 16 manager for Roadway Express, we referred to him as Herr Hofmann. Herr Hofmann would climb in our dumpster at the Albuquerque Roadway terminal with his suit on, and climb back out with a roll of masking tape that still had a little bit of tape on it. And bitch about it??

Last edited:
Ca
Capitol had a terminal in central falls ri
Capitol had a terminal in central falls rhode island

Ca

Capitol had a terminal in central falls ri

Capitol had a terminal in central falls rhode island

I'm surprised I don't remember them I grew up in RI. What kind of trucks did they run in the 60's, B Model Macks? You remember what color they were?

I can remember pulling some of those trailers on interchange, before we started running north.
Coles, Hemmingway,Quinn and an outfit called Novick transfer, I thought was from New England, not sure.

My first union LTL was Eazor Express,they closed after merging with Danial's Motor Freight.
There was a wildcat strike when the 2 companies employees had to dove tail.
When I started with them I was assigned a brand new Ford cabover box truck for P&D.

Where was that it Apo? I new an Eazor linehaul driver, went by "Uncle Milty", ran out of Newburgh NY, they had 2 linehaul guys there. He was a great guy.

I can remember pulling some of those trailers on interchange, before we started running north.
Coles, Hemmingway,Quinn and an outfit called Novick transfer, I thought was from New England, not sure.

I always thought Quinn had a pretty cool paint scheme, like this old White 9000.

quinn_freight_lines_white2.jpg

H1lH7cQ.jpg

Novick was not out of New England, but Winchester Va.
Never understood why these old carriers ran Dayton wheels, very few Budds

Last edited: