Cole's Express - Maine -1971

Did anyone experience Ivan Hofmann? He was vice president of operations with RPS, and then an executive vice president with FedEx Ground. When he was district 16 manager for Roadway Express, we referred to him as Herr Hofmann. Herr Hofmann would climb in our dumpster at the Albuquerque Roadway terminal with his suit on, and climb back out with a roll of masking tape that still had a little bit of tape on it. And bitch about it??
never heard of him, but Nancy Shevell (now Mrs. Paul McCarthy of the Beetles) she is the owners daughter of NEMF, came to my terminal and bitched that the office was throwing away perfectly good (her opinion) manilla envelopes that could be used for inter office mailings, (via truck mail)......rather than to buy such inter-office envelopes....

then we heard that she bought her dad an antique fire truck (Mr. Shevell LOVES fire trucks) and we "heard" she spent a small country's gross national product on that.....

but yet, used mailed manilla envelopes, being thrown away, got her all pissy fitted......

H1lH7cQ.jpg

Novick was not out of New England, but Winchester Va.
Never understood why these old carriers ran Dayton wheels, very few Budds

out here in New England, Dayton wheels are like a traditional look. i have seen brand new Macks at the dealership, for either garbage or dump, set up with them.

Check out this Eastern trailer, looks like instead of a rag top it had a sliding roof.

42f69082f5bbbf13239d043556d9917d--model-trains-oakwood.jpg

Looks like that old White has a pusher tag axle with single wheels on the forward axle.

Just ran across this picture of some Nelson trucks, hadn't remembered them.

6331bca8e0b9e97f7e77b070d92ee64f.jpg

I applied for a job with them way back, got in an argument with the manager, he said something I didn't like. Told him to shove his job up his ass. Hey, what can I say, I was a young hot head. The color scheme on these was blue and yellow.

Last edited:
ca24e7de10e036735995652e006c55e0--trucks.jpg

I worked for a small company that actually bought some of these Hemingway B Model Macks used. The radiator shells, headlight panels and bumpers were painted gold in celebration of their 50th anniversary. They were 9 speed two sticks.

I worked out of the Rochester,NY terminal,back in the back breaking days.

Trucks had no creature features,such as power steering,& air conditioning was open windows.
The dock plates we used were heavy sheets of steel which would slide a lot when it rained or snowed.
Sometimes having cardboard under them would keep them from sliding.

We had long wooden pools with 2 wheels & a steel hook called Johnny bars,along with using short pieces of pipe
To move heavy freight across the dock from inbound trailers to the P&D route trucks.
A lot of the time we had hand freight, before shrink wrapped pallet freight.

Yes sir also before the hours of service rules were around.
Believe me the hours of service was one of the best things the DOT came up with.

We P&D drivers had to break all of the inbound,load our routes,deliver & pickup,then load the outbound.

By the time we got home we really had no trouble going to sleep.
Ah the bad old days in LTL Trucking,while I was still working before retiring.
I just couldn't believe how the youngsters coming into our trade.
Were whining about how hard they had it......oh my give me a break!

Last edited:
I was just going to mention Sanborn's. I remember that line & Cole's from when I was in Maine. One or both had trickle chargers in the cabs to keep the batteries warm while they were parked.
I think Sanborn's like a few other freight lines bought used ABF road tractors when the company was on a 3 year trade cycle.

dear god, yes, there were like as many companies as there are now DD's at every corner.

Branch, St. Johnsbury, Yale, Carolina, among what i can recall right at the moment...i know Carolina got swallowed up by ABF.

Never knew Coles was taken over by roadway.
i dont think coles was bought by roadway...... i always thought it was overnite or fedex

Just ran across this picture of some Nelson trucks, hadn't remembered them.

6331bca8e0b9e97f7e77b070d92ee64f.jpg

I applied for a job with them way back, got in an argument with the manager, he said something I didn't like. Told him to shove his job up his ass. Hey, what can I say, I was a young hot head. The color scheme on these was blue and yellow.
Nelson Freight ,Rockville CT.

I was just going to mention Sanborn's. I remember that line & Cole's from when I was in Maine. One or both had trickle chargers in the cabs to keep the batteries warm while they were parked.
I think Sanborn's like a few other freight lines bought used ABF road tractors when the company was on a 3 year trade cycle.
Nah ,Sanborns ran whites and fords with detroits