ODFL | Collision Mitigation System (CMS)

flybynite

TB Legend
Credits
Hey y'all, we recently got 30 something new Freightliners in. Each person on the line board got one.
Still have the 10 speed, the transmission is geared different. The Compression brake has more power. New BLU, CMS, seats are different actually more comfortable. The cab floats like on air.
But the real thing I'd like to get some feedback on is the CMS. Volvo's will have a different one from the Freightliner's and the KW's will have their own.
Observations. My average speed for the day has changed. Went down. It goes to collision mode on one of the exits, and a certain overpass. We all have the same problem at the same place. With the cruise control on, you need to plan your passing back further and you will be out there longer.
My fuel mileage has gone up. On the flats it's great. But on the passes and hills I still have my foot into it.
It's a great tool. I've been cut off with 26 feet between the car and my front end. I've been passed by a car doing 91 in a 55.
So I would like to hear some feedback. Or questions. Also I have the new in dash BLU.

Been dealing with those since back in 2007, when I used to work for FedEx Freight. Never had a problem. Have heard plenty of urban legends of families losing their husbands/fathers/sons/brothers due to the system applying brakes out of nowhere and causing a wreck, no real evidence though. But then again, I rarely use cruise control since my legs are so long I still have to rest my foot on the pedal no matter what. Tell you one thing, I've had more issues with our stability control system, know for sure my 2012 had that. That thing actually will apply the brakes if it thinks you are taking a corner too fast, doesn't care if your trailer is empty or you are just pulling a van with a couple of concrete blocks.

Hey y'all, we recently got 30 something new Freightliners in. Each person on the line board got one.
Still have the 10 speed, the transmission is geared different. The Compression brake has more power. New BLU, CMS, seats are different actually more comfortable. The cab floats like on air.
But the real thing I'd like to get some feedback on is the CMS. Volvo's will have a different one from the Freightliner's and the KW's will have their own.
Observations. My average speed for the day has changed. Went down. It goes to collision mode on one of the exits, and a certain overpass. We all have the same problem at the same place. With the cruise control on, you need to plan your passing back further and you will be out there longer.
My fuel mileage has gone up. On the flats it's great. But on the passes and hills I still have my foot into it.
It's a great tool. I've been cut off with 26 feet between the car and my front end. I've been passed by a car doing 91 in a 55.
So I would like to hear some feedback. Or questions. Also I have the new in dash BLU.

The real question is how come your terminal gets all the new stuff and everyone else gets pdx's trashed junk. Funny how when all the new equipment shows up at your shop to be put into service it never leaves pdx, instead some pos gets sent to the nearby terminal that needs a new truck.

The real question is how come your terminal gets all the new stuff and everyone else gets pdx's trashed junk. Funny how when all the new equipment shows up at your shop to be put into service it never leaves pdx, instead some pos gets sent to the nearby terminal that needs a new truck.
That's management decision by Corparate. We got 80 tractors, majority of them went to California. We kept 30 of them, even the bottom of the wild board got a new one. Also I hear y'all got a shop but can't get anyone hired. Don't know why.

Been dealing with those since back in 2007, when I used to work for FedEx Freight. Never had a problem. Have heard plenty of urban legends of families losing their husbands/fathers/sons/brothers due to the system applying brakes out of nowhere and causing a wreck, no real evidence though. But then again, I rarely use cruise control since my legs are so long I still have to rest my foot on the pedal no matter what. Tell you one thing, I've had more issues with our stability control system, know for sure my 2012 had that. That thing actually will apply the brakes if it thinks you are taking a corner too fast, doesn't care if your trailer is empty or you are just pulling a van with a couple of concrete blocks.

I had it brake for me the other day with out the cruise on, scared the :shhit: out me. I also know another driver that every time he went under a sign or over pass it applied the brakes because the radar didn't align right, that has since been fixed on that truck, for now anyways. I know its not suppose to do this when temps are freezing but if it has glitches now then it could then! I don't like it, don't trust it and do not drive one unless that is the last thing to drive.

We've had a couple malfunction. It's believed to be the radar misaligned and bouncing off something metal thinking you are about to have an instant collision. One was believed to be a sign the other a metal seam at a bridge. In those cases the brakes put them in the windshield. Others have said theirs has started beeping and went to a red screen showing a collision was about to happen, but luckily it did not brake in those cases. When you google the topic, it's big issue that is known with this system. Someone called Hugh Morris who said in the first batches there were 9-10 known cases of them braking. He called this a small number since we had 1300 of them. I beg to differ because only a small fraction were in service at time, or still are yet to be put in service. I see them as a safety issue. I plan to to cover my back my at least using a dash cam to try and help my case when it brakes or causes and accident and they say the truck says nothing happened. Here's a question...Is it only the tractor brakes that is applies? Because I played with one on cruise and that's what it feel like. Doesn't feel like trailer brakes are used by the system. If that's the case, it sure sounds safe. Sarcastic. I'm also finding and hearing issues with the brakes, where when you apply brakes with decent force the steering wheel wobbles like crazy. Something has changed in the steering or suspension so that you always feel heavy ot top heavy. The only thing good is the new seat.

We've had a couple malfunction. It's believed to be the radar misaligned and bouncing off something metal thinking you are about to have an instant collision. One was believed to be a sign the other a metal seam at a bridge. In those cases the brakes put them in the windshield. Others have said theirs has started beeping and went to a red screen showing a collision was about to happen, but luckily it did not brake in those cases. When you google the topic, it's big issue that is known with this system. Someone called Hugh Morris who said in the first batches there were 9-10 known cases of them braking. He called this a small number since we had 1300 of them. I beg to differ because only a small fraction were in service at time, or still are yet to be put in service. I see them as a safety issue. I plan to to cover my back my at least using a dash cam to try and help my case when it brakes or causes and accident and they say the truck says nothing happened. Here's a question...Is it only the tractor brakes that is applies? Because I played with one on cruise and that's what it feel like. Doesn't feel like trailer brakes are used by the system. If that's the case, it sure sounds safe. Sarcastic. I'm also finding and hearing issues with the brakes, where when you apply brakes with decent force the steering wheel wobbles like crazy. Something has changed in the steering or suspension so that you always feel heavy ot top heavy. The only thing good is the new seat.
Exactly. I had it totally apply the brakes hard. It was red, showing intimate collision. The BLU showed intimate collision event being recorded. Problem there was nothing around me.
My problem is what happens on slick roads. Also I have heard this records any event on the yellow or red screen. It's recorded and reviewed by corporate then sent to your local safety department. Now this is second hand information told to me by another driver that talked to our safety representative. I will try to get the exact information and share it. Also the lane departure events are allegedly recorded also.

Exactly. I had it totally apply the brakes hard. It was red, showing intimate collision. The BLU showed intimate collision event being recorded. Problem there was nothing around me.
My problem is what happens on slick roads. Also I have heard this records any event on the yellow or red screen. It's recorded and reviewed by corporate then sent to your local safety department. Now this is second hand information told to me by another driver that talked to our safety representative. I will try to get the exact information and share it. Also the lane departure events are allegedly recorded also.

These systems won't brake the truck in freezing temps so just deal with it for a few more months.

Never heard of lane departure being recorded. No one has ever been bothered for it so you ain't got nothing to worry about. I run the fog line all the time and set that thing off, but I been here for years getting many compliments and 2.0 awards for years of great driving and customer service.

Heard a rumor from our safety rep that who knows, maybe we'll have cameras someday also. Congdons probably changing their tune on them after all the trucks linehaul keeps rolling.

Last edited:
Dang what's intimate collision? Lol I got what your saying just had to be the first to poke fun. Have a good one guys.

These systems won't brake the truck in freezing temps so just deal with it for a few more months.

Never heard of lane departure being recorded. No one has ever been bothered for it so you ain't got nothing to worry about. I run the fog line all the time and set that thing off, but I been here for years getting many compliments and 2.0 awards for years of great driving and customer service.

Heard a rumor from our safety rep that who knows, maybe we'll have cameras someday also. Congdons probably changing their tune on them after all the trucks linehaul keeps rolling.
Neither have I, but like I said it came from another driver that had talked with TS. That's good for you. I get compliments by ODOT and OSP. As far as cameras, if it happens it happens. Not a thing that I can do to stop it. Eating, drinking, reading, and messing with the BLU are all examples of distractive driving in my book. By the way, you ought to be trainer. Train the city boys how not to curb tires.

Neither have I, but like I said it came from another driver that had talked with TS. That's good for you. I get compliments by ODOT and OSP. As far as cameras, if it happens it happens. Not a thing that I can do to stop it. Eating, drinking, reading, and messing with the BLU are all examples of distractive driving in my book. By the way, you ought to be trainer. Train the city boys how not to curb tires.

You like that crap? I come to work and all my tire are curbed with my airline spring stretched. No one drives my truck anymore when I take time off after I complained about the damage. It's the cleanest in the yard.

That's what happens when we only hire out of cdl schools. Must be nice to walk out of a cdl mill and land a near 30hr/70 cpm line job just to mess everything up.

You like that crap? I come to work and all my tire are curbed with my airline spring stretched. No one drives my truck anymore when I take time off after I complained about the damage. It's the cleanest in the yard.

That's what happens when we only hire out of cdl schools. Must be nice to walk out of a cdl mill and land a near 30hr/70 cpm line job just to mess everything up.
I agree with you 100%. I take a day off and come back with the tires curbed and damage to my right fender. Like you my tractor is not available for anyone. Don't mind the garbage on the floor and spilled soda on the dash.

They arn't going to lock up the brakes simply because there's ice over the sensor. But I agree there is the possibility for accidents if it malfunctions and brakes on snow and ice when you are not prepared. My suggestion always use 2 hands and cringe every time you're coming up on something metal lol This really isn't something to be ignored or written off. A simple google search will show you there are valid concerns and incidents that have occurred from these things malfunctioning.

They arn't going to lock up the brakes simply because there's ice over the sensor. But I agree there is the possibility for accidents if it malfunctions and brakes on snow and ice when you are not prepared. My suggestion always use 2 hands and cringe every time you're coming up on something metal lol This really isn't something to be ignored or written off. A simple google search will show you there are valid concerns and incidents that have occurred from these things malfunctioning.

Like I said, the hard brake feature doesn't work in below freezing temps. Pass the word around before drivers start making up false scenarios.

Do you have a link or somewhere we can see this fact that they don't work at a certain temperature? I've reviewed the FAQ's on the Meritor website and it simply says the system will work and is looking to prevent a collision at anytime you are moving over 15mph and I have read accounts of issues in inclement weather.

It'll still keep you from following too close with cruise on but the braking feature doesn't work in freezing temps. Every carrier except OD has these in their trucks. Ask any driver the last time it jammed the brakes on in snow and ice?

Think with your brains drivers, I know we hire guys who never finished HS, but these fake stories or false scenarios need to stop. Corporate safety can fill you in on the details, don't sit here looking for truck driver word of mouth.

It'll still keep you from following too close with cruise on but the braking feature doesn't work in freezing temps. Every carrier except OD has these in their trucks. Ask any driver the last time it jammed the brakes on in snow and ice?

Think with your brains drivers, I know we hire guys who never finished HS, but these fake stories or false scenarios need to stop. Corporate safety can fill you in on the details, don't sit here looking for truck driver word of mouth.
In freezing weather, fog or certain traffic there's no way in hell I would use cruise anyway