New Penn | Combining of Terminals or Operations as a Result of Merger of Companies

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
Article 5, Section 2

In the application of this Section, when terminals or operations
of two (2) or more companies are combined, as referred to above,
the following general rules shall be applied by the Employer and the
Local Unions, which general rules are subject to modification pursuant
to the provisions of Section 4 of this Article:
Active Seniority List
(1) The active employee seniority rosters (excluding those employees
on letter of layoff) shall be “dovetailed” by appropriate classification
(i.e., road or city) in the order of each employee’s full continuous
classification (road or city) seniority date that the employee is
currently exercising. (The term “continuous classification seniority”
as used herein is defined as that seniority which the employee is currently exercising and has not been broken in the manner provided
in Section 1 of this Article or by voluntary changes in domicile
not directed, approved or ordered by a Change of Operations
Committee.) The active “dovetailed” seniority roster shall be utilized
first and until exhausted to provide employment at such combined
terminal or operational location.......................

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamsters.prometheuslabor.com/files/2008-2013_NMFA.pdf

Thank you for providing the link to the NMFA contract. If I may, I have an observation. The language of the section you posted is very clear. What is not clear to me is if the New Penn employees are covered under this NMFA agreement. If they are not, and there is no other provision to address mergers, etc., with employees that are not under the NMFA contract, then they would not be allowed to dovetail. If there is a specific provision in the NMFA contract for this action, then it can be allowed. If it is not provided for in the NMFA contract then it cannot be allowed.

We have been told on many occasions we are under the NMFA the only difference is that Newpenn was under a ME Too agreement which meant that was ever was negotiated Newpenn would sign unto... If we weren't under the NMFA,we wouldn't be having this conservation and would be treated the same as Reddaway,who is under a white paper contract....Gabish

Dove-tailing will be allowed to the New Penn terminals staying open but only to the top of the New Penn seniority list if they follow the work. If I'm reading this right?

Wrong again Joe,it would be the whole system but your right it would be the top guys that would merge in....

Wrong again Joe,it would be the whole system but your right it would be the top guys that would merge in....

if you mean New Penn would dove-tail into the YRC system I think you are sadly mistaken.

I believe they're talking top New Penn guys would be choosing what New Penn terminal staying open they could dove-tail in..not a YRC terminal. The rest would end-tail in YRC terminals

Last edited by a moderator:
I will explain this again Joe,now listen,We went thru this last year, same crap , different year.. in the term I work in ..We were told how many guys were going to YRC and our freight was to go to the YRC term the next day if the vote had been turned down.. So I ask you why with all your expertise don't you get it..You re retired,go down to the local NP term and talk to some of the drivers because I know for a fact the term by you were told the same thing.....

I will explain this again Joe,now listen,We went thru this last year, same crap , different year.. in the term I work in ..We were told how many guys were going to YRC and our freight was to go to the YRC term the next day if the vote had been turned down.. So I ask you why with all your expertise don't you get it..You re retired,go down to the local NP term and talk to some of the drivers because I know for a fact the term by you were told the same thing.....

I hope you are right on this..but in the Yellow Roadway merge I know of drivers who chose not to follow the work of their particular terminal and had to end-tail in the terminal that they did choose for bidding purposes while they kept their vacation and company seniority alive. End-tailing for bidding purposes is not good. Yes I could be wrong but when they say end-tail and they cite language in article 6 section 8 in the NMFA I would be concerned

I hope you are right on this..but in the Yellow Roadway merge I know of drivers who chose not to follow the work of their particular terminal and had to end-tail in the terminal that they did choose for bidding purposes while they kept their vacation and company seniority alive. End-tailing for bidding purposes is not good. Yes I could be wrong but when they say end-tail and they cite language in article 6 section 8 in the NMFA I would be concerned

That is because they chose not to follow their work. In that case it would be treated like a transfer.

The NMFA Section 6, allows for a negotiation between the company and the locals involved to determine the rules of the COO. In the letter posted, it it obvious that the company will try to negotiate the end tail as a way to punish the affected members.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is because they chose not to follow their work. In that case it would be treated like a transfer.

The NMFA Section 6, allows for a negotiation between the company and the locals involved to determine the rules of the COO. In the letter posted, it it obvious that the company will try to negotiate the end tail as a way to punish the affected members.

I doubt the dove-tail is negotiable. They are going to close 17 terminals..that leaves 32 still standing. Who knows what the plan is but New Penn would no longer operate as a separate company. If New Penn does all their work out out of the terminals still open it would have to be dovetail. The rest would end-tail into YRC. But you know YRC would be moving or line-hauling their freight just like Yellow line-hauled Roadway's New England freight into their break at Maybrook NY rather then Roadway's Tannersville Pa break cause it was more convenient..later close the Tannersville break.

circular-logistics-button-vector-blue.jpg

Article 8 section 6 NMFA starts:

"Change of Operations Committee
(a) Present terminals, breaking points or domiciles shall not be
transferred, changed or modified without the approval of an appropriate
Change of Operations Committee. Such Committee shall be
appointed in each of the Regional Areas, equally composed of
Employer and Union representatives. The Change of Operations
Committee shall have the authority to determine the seniority of the
employees affected and such determination shall be final and binding
."

This coupled with the wording of the letter posted stating the company will seek end tailing, leads me to believe that it can and will be negotiated into the final change. If it will make it into the final agreement remains to be seen.

Article 8 section 6 NMFA starts:

"Change of Operations Committee
(a) Present terminals, breaking points or domiciles shall not be
transferred, changed or modified without the approval of an appropriate
Change of Operations Committee. Such Committee shall be
appointed in each of the Regional Areas, equally composed of
Employer and Union representatives. The Change of Operations
Committee shall have the authority to determine the seniority of the
employees affected and such determination shall be final and binding
."

This coupled with the wording of the letter posted stating the company will seek end tailing, leads me to believe that it can and will be negotiated into the final change. If it will make it into the final agreement remains to be seen.

It depends..Change of Operations Committee would have to approve closings and make the decisions but they are not closing all New Penn terminals
It may not be a merge like Yellow-Roadway..New Penn will lose their status as a separate company to offset the no vote. You know take orders from headquarters in Overland Park but as half the company they used to be. It's unlikely those that don't make the cut to a surviving New Penn terminal would dove-tail into a YRC terminal

Wouldent suprise me if they move everything back to tannersville. Lots of room for new penn, yrc(dorrance) & yrc(milton). From what i hear they sold the new penn terminal to r&l (real estate division)?

It depends..Change of Operations Committee would have to approve closings and make the decisions but they are not closing all New Penn terminals
It may not be a merge like Yellow-Roadway..New Penn will lose their status as a separate company to offset the no vote. You know take orders from headquarters in Overland Park but as half the company they used to be. It's unlikely those that don't make the cut to a surviving New Penn terminal would dove-tail into a YRC terminal

They are basically threatning to close all of NP and terminals. but relocate yrc into a couple of the NP terminals. (SYRACUSE, ROCHESTER CINNAMINSON, SPRINGFIELD, MAY BE ONE MORE)

They are basically threatning to close all of NP and terminals. but relocate yrc into a couple of the NP terminals. (SYRACUSE, ROCHESTER CINNAMINSON, SPRINGFIELD, MAY BE ONE MORE)

th_guh3.gif

copy the..they are just keeping enough capacity to handle to handle the New Penn freight

th_guh3.gif

copy the..they are just keeping enough capacity to handle to handle the New Penn freight

If you think YRC will see any increase in freight from the closing of New Penn, keep dreaming. Any customers that attempt to ship YRC will be rewarded by YRC management when damage claims are filed and go unpaid. You heard it here first.

There is a reason that shippers are using New Penn instead of YRC. Any increase in volume would be temporary, they will not continue with YRC upon New Penn's closure.To think so would be delusional. This goes for all of YRCW's subsidiary's.

Once the votes are counted next week these clowns will not be posting their crap on this board. Unless of course the vote is NO, they will giggle with glee as they post "I told you so". Real Teamsters would not exhibit such juvenile behavior. Take your useless posts back to your board.