Averitt | Combo?

JRut

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm on the job hunt again. I've appled a many LTL's in the area such as FedEx freight, conway, Saia, southeastern freight terminals as either a city driver or road driver. Don't want to make anything less than 60-65K to start. Should I apply at Averitt as a combo driver? There's quite a few combo positions open around my area. Any opinions welcome.

Don't want to make anything less than 60-65K to start. Should I apply at Averitt as a combo driver? There's quite a few combo positions open around my area. Any opinions welcome.
If you go to Averitt you won't make half of that.

LTL road driver right off the start!:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:No less than 60-65k to start!:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: What alternate universe do you live in...maybe you are a ex union driver. There is money to be made here,but nothing you are looking for,right off the bat!

Combo is a great place for tired, home sick TL drivers to be home daily, if they understand and can handle their job expectations, a lot of dock work instance.

Combo is a great place for tired, home sick TL drivers to be home daily, if they understand and can handle their job expectations, a lot of dock work instance.
Dockwork, exactly where I do NOT want to be in summer or winter. Another brilliant Averitt invention to underpay even a greater percentage of employees that are willing to accept it.

You are right, I have yet to meet a driver who said they would be shot dead unless they took a Combo position.

I am a combo driver and for the most part everything is ok. The making less than Shuttle is the thing that needs to be corrected. I have over seven years as a combo and have seen 15 to 20 shuttle men leave the company and not one combo guy has been promoted to shuttle yet we have app 20 combo guys that runs shuttle every day, including the sleeper shuttle combo. With me there is no hate or dislike of the Shuttle guys however the company is not fair in this area. I accepted the job and was told back in 2005 at corporate that you could be promoted from Truckload to Combo to City or Shuttle. At 2300 miles the shuttle guy makes $104.00 a week more than the combo driver doing the same job or $5,000.00 a year. Yes we can move around more than the shuttle guys to dock, days, and city but there will still be a need for a combo guy to run shuttle.
Bottom line 20 shuttle positions that are permanently fill by a combo driver. Again for the record, no axe to grind with the shuttle guys.

Looks like that is the way that Avrt is going to go in the future.... local & shuttle probally be eliminated thru attrition and everything will be done by COMBO. Look at the job listings posted.....

But for the record we have added Shuttle and City jobs in several locations, I posted the numbers years ago, I will try to locate that post. We added a true city P&D last year in Knx.

You are correct Iceman about adding positions. Hiring in the city never stopped but at our yard when others were hiring shuttle guys we were adding more combos. For the record I know that this gives the company flexibility and that is a good thing for our bottom line and I will do the very best job at what I agreed to.

I'm just glad I'm Shuttle, and LOLDFC and jmac4065 like their Combo jobs. It takes all classifications to us successful. I know several guys who were stuck on the dock and the yard tractor until the Combo positions were created.

I have over seven years as a combo and have seen 15 to 20 shuttle men leave the company and not one combo guy has been promoted to shuttle yet we have app 20 combo guys that runs shuttle every day, including the sleeper shuttle combo. With me there is no hate or dislike of the Shuttle guys however the company is not fair in this area. I accepted the job and was told back in 2005 at corporate that you could be promoted from Truckload to Combo to City or Shuttle. At 2300 miles the shuttle guy makes $104.00 a week more than the combo driver doing the same job or $5,000.00 a year.

"Sleeper shuttle combo" Now that right there is ridiculous in and of itself. Well our "brilliant" leaders (ahem once again) can dream up all kinds of frivolous positions. I am waiting for the Combo Service Center mechanic security associate, or the Regional combo VP of hostler position. Sounds out there but I wouldn't put it past these people.

If one driver, no matter the classification, is making a given amount then ALL drivers in ALL driving positions should be paid the same be it TL, dedicated, combo sleeper shuttle, etc. I also think that the team drivers should get an $0.02 stipend for being stuck in that sleeper cab all week every week.

If every shuttle driver walked at the same time, the hapless and tired combo assigner upper management in goofball land would be popping the champagne corks and drooling over the money savings the company would experience (without sharing that savings with the other employees) by running the miles at combo rates; a bargain for the greedy in corporate.

Averitt should appreciate every driver that does a good job,,Now i know we have some drivers that will never raise a hood on any tractor..Them drivers should be docked pay..On the other hand drivers should make the same.Why discriminate..Averitt attitude is ,,Its a honor for you to work for us instead of we are glad to have you on board with us...Don't be telling me that Averitt is the number 1 company when there the lowest payed freight company.and don't want compensate for all the the free stuff we do..Averitt makes a lot of money off of us,,They could pay us a little better and still make enough money..Im glad to have a job,,But I just want Averitt to quit being so greedy.

Averitt should appreciate every driver that does a good job,,Now i know we have some drivers that will never raise a hood on any tractor..Them drivers should be docked pay..On the other hand drivers should make the same.Why discriminate..Averitt attitude is ,,Its a honor for you to work for us instead of we are glad to have you on board with us...Don't be telling me that Averitt is the number 1 company when there the lowest payed freight company.and don't want compensate for all the the free stuff we do..Averitt makes a lot of money off of us,,They could pay us a little better and still make enough money..Im glad to have a job,,But I just want Averitt to quit being so greedy.

Yes, when I started with Averitt the pay was on par with the competition but those days are long gone. They discovered their holy grail....the combo position and the people that willingly worked for those low wages, and pay has not increased very much since. As a result many of the quality people have left but AE could care less. The ONLY reason I choose to stick around, at this point, is that I am too close to retirement to go start over elsewhere. I do my deal, do not interact with the uppity ups, lay low and count down the days until I can wish Averitt well in their futile endeavor to become a real competitive company.

I too am looking forward to the day,I clean my truck out for the LAST time....I'm just sick and tired of WHOLE industry! Driving a truck for a living these days SUCKS! If you can even call it earning a living!