Averitt | Combo?

I too am looking forward to the day,I clean my truck out for the LAST time....I'm just sick and tired of WHOLE industry! Driving a truck for a living these days SUCKS! If you can even call it earning a living!
It is not the same as it was 30 years ago. Too many people driving with their head up their a$$ with too many distractions from cell phones, laptops, radar detectors, GPS devices, over-tricked out cars that they haven't a clue how to operate. Couple that with the federal restrictions of CSA, **** tests, log violations, scales, DOT BS and the Averitt "Hurry up Hurry up, cut time cut time, got to roll, blah blah blah, DOT physicals, CPAP machines, breath alcohol tests and the list goes on and on and on and on and on. However, according to society we are "unskilled labor". We are the most regulated unskilled labor that exists and, like you, I am sick and tired of it all. I cannot wait to throw my keys and my high security ID badge on the desk and tell the industry to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread was an eye opener. I would have never guessed such low pay in freight hauling. I've been hauling gas for 18 years now. I'm looking for benefits that most oil companies don't provide. They stink. I have an interview with Averitt in three days for a combo position. I had no idea what it entailed except it got me home daily. I will not take a 20,000 to 25,000 dollar pay cut just to get benefits!
Any suggestions?

Your probably better off where your at. Your not going to like combo with Averitt. It will take you three years before you get full benefits.

Three years is nuts. Are all LTL companies like that. I may need to shift my search toward tanker related jobs to keep the pay where I need. I had the misconception that LTL paid better.

Not sure why Redvolvo insists on lying about our benefits, you will get benefits in 90 days. We have discussed this before and Redvolvo still is clueless. The bennies vs. pay is your decision, but if you are losing 25k a year, this seems like a no brainer. Straight from the averittcareers.com website :" Multi-leveled medical, dental, and vision insurance. Not only do we have some of the lowest-cost insurance in the industry, but it’s flexible so you can choose different levels of coverage for each category and ultimately pay for only what you need. (New associates have Basic insurance for the first 12 months when coverage begins after 90 days.)"

Thank you Iceman for straightening that out. Yes a 25K drop is a no brainer. I made 61K last year and two years ago I made 69K. It just depends on how busy we are. I do have blue cross insurance where I'm at but it cost over $600 a month for family. Nothing else benefit wise there except an exceptionally nice truck.
I'll just keep looking I'm not going to get in a hurry about it. I wish I would have done something else career wise when I was younger.

Thank you Iceman for straightening that out. Yes a 25K drop is a no brainer. I made 61K last year and two years ago I made 69K. It just depends on how busy we are. I do have blue cross insurance where I'm at but it cost over $600 a month for family.

Runninglate... I'm transferred to combo from the truckload division just a tad over 2 years ago, I have my w-2 if anyone wants to question me, but I made $61,2XX last year and I know other combos that were close to and others that exceeded my earnings. Now I didnt work 5 days a week, that's almost dedicating myself to a 6 day week for 90% of the year. I have a different incentive than most that drives me to commute 2 1/2 hours a day and put in these crazy hours every week. Averitt is a odd company, each terminal is different, I'm lucky to be in one that has all the work a man can handle for the most part, many of our terminals are smaller and your hours may be limited. Combo is done differently in each terminal, in many you will work dock, do city work and shuttle work, in others it's kind of like where ever you start off at is where you stay, for instance, in 2 years I've not ever worked the dock, but the option is there if I need the extra hours, and since its a tad slow I'm going to take that option soon. In a sense, it's kind of like you can sit and take what they offer and be the average associate, or you can be a go-getter and make it work for your needs. Many dont realize how lucky we are, I've made friends with several YRC and UPS frieght p&d drivers...... they have a much tougher environment to deal with than we do, yea they may make a little more, but most of them are miserable.

Thanks rnsgn I'll go to my interview Monday and feel them out. Not sure I want to go to a six day work week. I used to hustle hard but I'm older now and want to take it easy. Where I'm at I only work 4 days a week. I know I'll be working five wherever I go and an occasional six is ok but not most of the time.

I call it as I see it Redvovlo. I understand you are miserable and hate your job and wish you could make more money, but that is no excuse for flat out lying over and over again about our benefits. Anyone can go to the averittcareers.com website and read it all for themselves. I shouldn't get so frustrated with your deceptive posts, I need to give job seekers more credit than I do and understand they have researched the facts long before coming on here and seeking interest. Have you ever noticed no one ever back you up when you make such ludicrous comments? I have chosen to give you a day's vacation from Truckingboards for your rude name calling and cyber threat. We can agree to disagree but I will not tolerate this kind of behavior.

In all my 25 years of service I have never seen an associate with gun barrel prints on their temple as a result of anyone making them stay here and work, while we are not a perfect company, most will agree that we are left alone to do our job. And I can't think of ever seeing a malnourished associate, as a matter of fact I see some extremely nice cars and trucks sitting in our parking lots.

Runninglate, I spoke with a Combo friend of mine tonight to get some better info for you. An entry level Knoxville Combo will likely work nights, Mon-Fri, 40-45 hrs. a week, so do the math with upper teens starting pay with good driving record and years experience. When freight is heavy you will run out and back, drop and hook runs, 480-580 miles a night. But those runs are rare being on the bottom. We rebid every 6 months and one could possibly end up on days with one weekend day included. Every service center is run different, so I can only speak for Knoxville.

We as men can all agree to disagree. I have learned that all service centers are obviously different. Anyone that has been around here any time will agree that I allow everyone to vent and voice concerns as long as the forum rules are followed. To throw a blanket statement out there to say that newbies can't expect benefits for three years is just not true. We should be messaging seekers with our name and enjoy the bonus bucks for referring new hires. Bigdog88 and I had a horrible experience on here and in private messages, but he gave me his number and I called him and we soon became good friends. He felt Averitt had mistreated him and he was extremely bitter. But our love for Jesus Christ and the fact that made us Brothers in Christ .We spent many hours on the phone at night. He was dying of cancer but was forever telling me he was praying for me to make it home safely each night. He was forever apologizing for the way he acted on here and how he attacked me, off course I had forgiven him before he ever had a chance to apologize. Life is too short to let our career consume our lives, it's not fair to our family and anyone around us.

I like it when I get the Friday night call and I hear on the other end "Do you want to stay home?" Love it and at this point in my life I want the time off more than the money. I don't need to be micro-managed. I really don't need to be anything but to work on time and out on time if I can. I left a place years ago that is currently paying $0.15 per mile more than what we make. I could most likely go back but as long as AE leaves me the hell alone and I can get by with what I get by with I shall stay here for the duration.

Is it the best? NO. I of all people have vented my disdain for AE on here for 7 or so years. However, having my new truck and a 400 or so mile night if I choose a short one is truly to my liking. 6 days a week @ 70 hours for me was great 20 years ago. With all of my stuff being paid for, I like the easy schedule that I have kind of carved out for myself.

And yes, every terminal is different with different rules. If the local rule makers get out of hand just make that phone call to the right folks (those of us in the know will know which ones they are) and state your case. Surprising how fast the problem can be fixed.

Thanks rnsgn I'll go to my interview Monday and feel them out. Not sure I want to go to a six day work week. I used to hustle hard but I'm older now and want to take it easy. Where I'm at I only work 4 days a week. I know I'll be working five wherever I go and an occasional six is ok but not most of the time.

I wish you luck with your decisions, I'm younger than many on here, but still, to make such changes at this point in our life isnt easy, most of us are too nervous, or just dont want to start over again at the bottom to do so.

Well I went for the interview Monday and it was a little better than expected and it don't sound to bad a place to work. The pay is better than some of you were telling me. At 40 hrs I would take a pay cut but at 60hrs I would be where I'm at now but that is risky. No weekends at the service center I applied at. Mon- Fri only maybe once a quarter a sat but that usually is snatched up before it gets to the bottom.
What bothers me is no sick pay no overtime and I can't remember what else because someone is talking to me as I type ugh!

Yes we have always been paid straight time and have never had sick days.Overtime pay is very rare among the non-union carriers, I can't think of any that pay overtime, maybe Fedex. Weekend work at our house never fall to the bottom. Good luck on what you decide. "Motor Carriers - Employees of motor carriers are exempt from overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act if the Secretary of Transportation has the power to regulate their minimum qualifications and maximum hours of service under the Motor Carrier Act."

Iceman
I've known RV personally for many years and I worked at Averitt myself many years ago. Things may well be great where you are over there by corporate but in the region that RV is in things are much different in many ways. I know very personally gentlemen from three different terminals in that region and I speak to many of them daily or at least weekly. Through them I am aware of the things going on here. Unfortunately they are not living the dream that you obviously live out there. There are full time linehaul drivers sitting home or forced into p&d and replaced with outside carriers to run the linehaul runs. some of the equipment is total junk. Ive seen it first hand. I could go on but I just want to make the point that not everywhere is it so peachy as you would have one believe at Averitt Express. I started linehaul at old dominion 2 years ago. I make 9 cpm more now than my friends who have been at Averitt for over 15 years..I know that Averitt is not totally a bad company. It has many great qualities depending on where you are domiciled but it is far and away not the heavenly oasis that you portray it to be...I liked Averitt for the most part and am glad I worked for them but I am also glad that i decided to make the move away. I would just ask that you keep in mind going forward that while it may be good where you are it is not as good everywhere else in the company. Let me just be clear that I am not defending anyone here but just duly noting what is true and correct concerning the issue and hope that you can at least understand the frustrations of some who are at a sc that may not be as great as yours..Thank you and God Bless