Averitt | Coming surveys

The survey, as expected, was an extremely weak survey (as I knew it was going to be). I wouldn't have expected anything different as it is geared towards advancing their preset agenda. Dollar to a doughnut says that absolutely NOTHING will change. So very glad and thankful that I am no longer affiliated with it but am glad they let the survey slip through the cracks into my hands. I was truthful and answered as though I was still there. Of course, they have most likely found some bottom feader to swoop in and take my place that they don't have to pay vacation time or top pay.

ltl lifer how long you been gone? I got an email earlier today from trucking boards and I thought I'd check it out. Haven't been here in a while.

After 21 years with Averitt, I left somewhere around 5 years ago and ain't looked back. I figured as long as I had been there I would maybe second guess my self for a few months after leaving but I can honestly say that feeling never crossed my mind after I quit. Knowing now what I didn't know then I, I wish now I had cut them loose a lot earlier than I did.

I worked city my first year then went to shuttle. 19 years in a shuttle position. I had gotten really burned out on shuttle and working nights and went back to the city. I guess that's where the last straw was for me in my decision to quit. 20 years with the company and in order to go back to days I had to take a combo position. Of course that meant a pay cut and not even making as much per hour than many that didn't have as much company time as I did. There's no way anyone can look at that and honestly say anything about that is right.

I bought me a truck and am leased on to a great company. I'm home every night, with a regular run, unless I get a wild hair and want to run something longer for something different every once in a while. I very, very seldom have appointment times so I run my trips at the times I want to run them. I usually run about 1600 miles a week and make considerably more than I did in those red trucks and now I actually enjoy and look forward to getting up and going to work now.

Just wanted to throw that out there to you guys and let you know there are other good paying jobs out there with a whole lot less crap to put up with and be home nightly. I never realized they were there but they are, just got to do a little looking around to find them.

Welcome oneperfectrun, I'm glad to hear you say that! I've been preaching this for years, OD, SEFL, Fedex and so many more high paying companies are hiring and with a lot less "crap to put with" as you say. We spend too many hours here to be miserable, the day I dread coming to work is the day I give a notice of leaving AE. I won't gripe and whine, I will hit the door, I was looking 27 years ago when I found Averitt, and I'm not too old to look again.You and so many others are proof that the grass can be much greener at the competition's yards.

Leaving Averitt was the best move and should have done it years ago. They are no more than a dead-end, low end, beginners company. I spent FAR too many years there.
DO NOT miss it one bit.

I'm not saying that I will never work for an LTL carrier again but my focus is on a company that has trucks to support their main business; trucking is not their sole business.

Welcome oneperfectrun, I'm glad to hear you say that! I've been preaching this for years, OD, SEFL, Fedex and so many more high paying companies are hiring and with a lot less "crap to put with" as you say. We spend too many hours here to be miserable, the day I dread coming to work is the day I give a notice of leaving AE. I won't gripe and whine, I will hit the door, I was looking 27 years ago when I found Averitt, and I'm not too old to look again.You and so many others are proof that the grass can be much greener at the competition's yards.

I'm not a new member. Ive been a member here for several years. Not sure why it's showing me as a new member other than maybe because it's been a few years since I've posted anything. I did reset my password last night because I couldn't remember my old one.

I got completely away from ltl trucking. I bought me a big shiny W900L and quit Averitt. I pulled containers for a couple years and really enjoyed that other than the flat tires. I was leased to a great company at the time but they sold our to another company. I could tell something was going on so a friend and I moved our trucks to a flatbed company before they sold out. I've got a very good deal with this flatbed company. I've had a regular run from day 1 and on average it takes me around 8 2/2 hours and I'm back home. I usually leave home around 6ish in the morning, deliver, go back and reload and then to the house to do it again the next day. Ocassionally I'll take something longer for a little change of scenery.

Wish I had made this move years before I actually did.

I'm not saying that I will never work for an LTL carrier again but my focus is on a company that has trucks to support their main business; trucking is not their sole business.

Not gonna say I won't because you never know what the future holds but I hope I never sit my butt in a ltl tractor again. I have no desire to ever work for another ltl truck line.

Not gonna say I won't because you never know what the future holds but I hope I never sit my butt in a ltl tractor again. I have no desire to ever work for another ltl truck line.
I should have left Averitt long ago but was stubborn. Oh well...good things come to those who wait.

Any news on the survey. It has been about 6 months.
Earlier this spring and summer there was talk of big things coming after the end of the 2nd quarter, management was hearing things from cookeville about benefits and pay and passing it along but suddenly they are back peddling and keeping things quiet saying they don't know anything. Many many drivers are patiently waiting but very frustrated and would like to know if to expect something or not. Truckload had the biggest turnover rate, always has been and they announced their raise, those in sales got an increase but no other announcements and that has many frustrated.

Earlier this spring and summer there was talk of big things coming after the end of the 2nd quarter, management was hearing things from cookeville about benefits and pay and passing it along but suddenly they are back peddling and keeping things quiet saying they don't know anything. Many many drivers are patiently waiting but very frustrated and would like to know if to expect something or not. Truckload had the biggest turnover rate, always has been and they announced their raise, those in sales got an increase but no other announcements and that has many frustrated.

Yeah a lot of rumors but I understand that they are rumors. However since the survey was conducted by the company I would think that the powers that be would share the findings with the employees. After all is said and done, only corporate with know the true results. So maybe the results will be sanitized to their benefit before they are ever shared with us.
Corporate knew what most drivers were concern with before any survey.

Yeah a lot of rumors but I understand that they are rumors. However since the survey was conducted by the company I would think that the powers that be would share the findings with the employees. After all is said and done, only corporate with know the true results. So maybe the results will be sanitized to their benefit before they are ever shared with us.
Do you really think they will share the results? I dont think they want anyone to know the true results

The top issues I heard from everyone else was, pay, personal/sick days, and a 4th week of vacation.

What happened? Most of the things we talked about has not been seen or addressed with us. Yes we got a raise but we are still 7 to 10 cents behind the other carriers not named UPS or FedEx freight. Yes i know before someone tells me, i can go and work for one of those companies at anytime I get feed up with Averitt.

What happened? Most of the things we talked about has not been seen or addressed with us. Yes we got a raise but we are still 7 to 10 cents behind the other carriers not named UPS or FedEx freight. Yes i know before someone tells me, i can go and work for one of those companies at anytime I get feed up with Averitt.
The problem with my former company is the same today as it was 21 years ago. The corporate structure is the petrified forest with no new blood. Yes, they hired a few pencil pushers that know squat about trucking and the petrified wood has listened to them.
As for that goofy survey, they don't want to hear from the people. All that "survey" should tell you is that it was a dog and pony show.
As long as they have the drones walk back through the gate and dance the happy monkey dance every day, IT WILL NEVER EVER CHANGE.