Averitt | Coming to a Service Center Near You

jeepman

Truckload Mercenary
Credits
I was wondering how long this would take..I was in CHR last week, lo and behold there were at least 50 brand spanking new intermodal frames parked there. I can see a NEW intermodal division coming, where they will sucker some poor TRUCKLOAD drivers into pulling these all over creation. here's a few pictures.

zmb869.jpg

r85640.jpg

2r5sysi.jpg

We talked about them last month in our meeting, I would think these new "poor ole suckers" would pull good being they are new.

We talked about them last month in our meeting, I would think these new "poor ole suckers" would pull good being they are new.
AVRT will no longer have to crossdock containers coming into CHR or elsewhere onto our trailers. You think AVRT will pay OTR LTL or T/L drivers
the same money to pull these to their destination? Not counting wait time at ports or rail yards. Looking at the companies doing this and the JUNK they use, there cannot be a lot of money in this. They will be looking for drivers to pull these for less money. I wish them luck, as I will not be doing this much longer.

Anything that has to do with containers is no good. I pulled many. New? Remember the dollys and how no-backing drivers would jack the dolly and just push it back to where he wanted it. The same thing will happen for these.

This will probably go about as good as the boat hauling went...
(AE board mtg)
"Hey this looks like a good idea, let's jump in with both feet and spend millions and give it a try, what y'all think..."
"Uhhhhh...OKAY let's do it cause we've got all this extra money, that we're not passing on to the employees, that we need to spend on something."

Inside Averitt had a big article about our new Charleston port warehouse, guess that explains the container chassis.

This is nothing new. AE has been pulling containers for years. Owning their own chassis just creates more freedom. Plus a heck of a lot better ride vs Dayton wheels and bias tires on the ship lines chassis.

This is nothing new. AE has been pulling containers for years. Owning their own chassis just creates more freedom. Plus a heck of a lot better ride vs Dayton wheels and bias tires on the ship lines chassis.

Most of the ports in NY/NJ area don't offer their own chassis anymore. You can rent from a 3rd party but it's all the same junk. Most LTL companies have been buying their own chassis to make it easier. The Canadian trucking companies have run own chassis for 15-20 years.

2689-4012-500.jpg

In a past life, I pulled containers. Dropped them off at ports, picked them up at ports. Got the chassis (junk all of it) and then went into the port to have the container set on the chassis. Think of a container yard that looks like the one above which is Barbours Cut Terminal in LaPorte Texas. You have the paperwork to pick up container # XXXX

So you go to the port and as luck would have it your container is on the bottom of a 3, 4, 5 container stack. You wait your turn behind all of the other trucks waiting to pick up a container and you are dealing with Longshoreman Union people, read NO HURRY WHATSOEVER.

I have spent a many an hour at this pictured location and can tell you that it is not a fast in and out. My record for pulling containers out of this place was 3 per day. Both #1 & 2 were dropped outside the port at a drop yard 2 miles away for another driver to pick up. I exited the port with the 3rd one right at closing time.

When they take lunch from 12-1, this means they quit about 1130 am and dont move the first container until 130 pm. The port opens at 0800 and they are done by 1600. Hopefully you will have your first one out and if you are super lucky you will get your 2nd one before they go to lunch and can go drop it somewhere and be back at the chassis yard by 1 pm.

Anyone that tells you that this type of trucking is profitable is full of crap. Today, in order to even enter ANY port in the US, you are required to posses a TWIC card (Transportation Workers Identification Card) which I have. Of course, in order to acquire one you go through a thorough background check along with fingerprints as you would a CDL.

Knowing Averitt and their typical "Hair-On-Fire" management style, there is nobody in the organization that has the knowledge to be able to efficiently run this type of operation. It will be a money LOSER.

All I can say is good luck Averitt. All the chassis in the world is not going to prevent you from being a huge loser. Then again, at the bargain basement wages paid to many drivers, they may make a buck or 2.

Any poor driver that they sucker into becoming stuck on this losing detail is to be pitied.

This video is specific to Los Angeles Container Terminal but for the most part it applies to all container yards. As you can readily see it is a screaming pain in the butt and if you are being paid by the load and you have an issue (come on, you work for Averitt, you know there will be problems out the kazoo).
Before any of you jump and sign up for this detail, take a look at this video.

Last edited:
This will probably go about as good as the boat hauling went...
(AE board mtg)
"Hey this looks like a good idea, let's jump in with both feet and spend millions and give it a try, what y'all think..."
"Uhhhhh...OKAY let's do it cause we've got all this extra money, that we're not passing on to the employees, that we need to spend on something."
And how about the WONDERFUL service called Averitt Air and all of the airfreight that was going to be flown all over the world. A joke at best. http://www.averittair.com/

How about all of the concert trailers? Flop flop and more flop.

I have a good friend that drives in our concert division and he loves it, I think our air division is a charter service.