SAIA | Company anti-union Letter

Jack Knife

TB Veteran
Credits
Got mine in the mail today!
Telling me how the company don't need a union, and they are right,
but the drivers sure do!

Wonder how much that cost? And that will be an excuse for...not fixing, purchasing, updating, giving bonus, etc...

Saia obviously does not value it's drivers and can't see that without drivers, there is no company. Time for the big guys at the top to tighten their belts. No more bonuses for anyone but drivers. Time for us to get serious and get after the money. It's not coming, so we need to fight. Management asked for a battle, and the time is now

Saia obviously does not value it's drivers and can't see that without drivers, there is no company. Time for the big guys at the top to tighten their belts. No more bonuses for anyone but drivers. Time for us to get serious and get after the money. It's not coming, so we need to fight. Management asked for a battle, and the time is now
Saia does appreciate the drivers and furthermore managements pay is not out of line with what others pay ... Get a college education and you too could be making big money. As a young man I'm sure had you went on for a masters degree you would find yourself in a better position ... Don't blame a man that took advantage of his opportunities and made the sacrifices it takes to further his education ... Furthermore you can't look at just the miles or hourly pay and draw a conclusion that Saia is not competitive in compensation ... In the big picture Saia is as good as any and better than most ..... OT after 45 ..... Great healthcare with premiums that Saia has absorbed without cutting coverage ... 401K with a 6% match ... Free healthcare after 10 years of service..... Good equipment that is safe or put out of service ... Look at Conway and the troubles they are having with the union ... The reason why is because they have taken away the pension that they promised to return .... Healthcare increases .OT after what in the South (50)... 401K 3% match .... A little more top pay is offset by other things ... A horrible work environment that caused 15 to jump ship to OD in Dallas in a matter of weeks . When you look at the big picture Saia at least in my opinion is about as best as it gets... I think we will get a pretty good raise in 2015 so despite what many of you you think .... I think we are getting a pretty good deal..... Saia recently has made a move that has eliminated dissension among the current employees by adjusted the pay to those of the new hires and their incentives ... They didn't have to do that ... They did it because it was the right thing to do. It's little things like that, that will never let the union get a foot hold here. Doing the right thing by your employees will do that. Dissension among employees destroys morale. Saia understands that the cost of the pay adjustment will pay big dividends in the end.

Last edited:
What changes did they make?
In August of 2014 Saia implemented a new program for new hires with certain incentives because of the driver shortage ... Depending on the region you were in signing bonuses were different ... Different regions have different percentages of driver retention so the bonuses were different. Also all new hires were started at the 1 year rate ... Keep in mind that drivers must meet the guidelines in experience to qualify. Drivers that were hired before this new program started to realize that the new hires were making more than them and dissension began to creep in. Normally it takes 18 months to top out and some drivers were caught in that ...The starting rate and raises at 6 ... 12 ... 18 ... Some current drivers found out that the new hires were bragging about the 1 year starting rate of 22.11 (City P&D) while they were stuck at the old starting rate (much less) or 6 month level (much less) and dissension began to creep in as I said ... Now Saia could have done nothing and said basically you agreed to the terms set forth in your hiring process. But instead they chose to put all current drivers at the 1 year rate that qualify ... Bonuses were exempt because most received their agreed signing bonus (most were a 1000) in the beginning ... A company like Conway wouldn't have cared about dissension among employees and that's why they find themselves in the position they are with the union today ... Massive turnover and fighting the union ... Saia is pro-active and will continue to be so in other ways as time moves on ... Nothing is perfect and you will always have cry babies but as I have said from the start .... Saia is moving in the right direction.

Last edited:
Their signing bonuses are a bunch of hogwash. I should quit then reapply just to get the bonus. And Saia in totally non competitive as far as pay compared to the industry leader. And runaway train...no offense but you don't know me so don't try to judge me. Doing that makes you look a lot like management status quo. I do have a masters degree, and I can drive with the best. How manyanagera in Saia can make that same claim? Sally? Rick? Again, bottom line is the bottom line. Management has padded their wallets long enough. It's time to share with the people who actually run the company: drivers! My last tidbit is appreciation; showing appreciation 1 day a year isn't close to what should be happening!

Great healthcare with premiums that Saia has absorbed without cutting coverage ...

this is true

401K with a 6% match

.50% of 6%

Saia recently has made a move that has eliminated dissension among the current employees by adjusted the pay to those of the new hires and their incentives ... They didn't have to do that

this should be current NEW employee's as they have not done any thing for the OLD employee's, except to try and run them off. it may not be that way in Dallas but that is only one terminal. OD is getting a lot of good drivers from saia

Their signing bonuses are a bunch of hogwash. I should quit then reapply just to get the bonus. And Saia in totally non competitive as far as pay compared to the industry leader. And runaway train...no offense but you don't know me so don't try to judge me. Doing that makes you look a lot like management status quo. I do have a masters degree, and I can drive with the best. How manyanagera in Saia can make that same claim? Sally? Rick? Again, bottom line is the bottom line. Management has padded their wallets long enough. It's time to share with the people who actually run the company: drivers! My last tidbit is appreciation; showing appreciation 1 day a year isn't close to what should be happening!
I'm not judging you and I wasn't talking directly to you ... I'm talking in general about the company .... You have a masters degree? I won't even go there.

this is true

.50% of 6%

this should be current NEW employee's as they have not done any thing for the OLD employee's, except to try and run them off. it may not be that way in Dallas but that is only one terminal. OD is getting a lot of good drivers from saia
Full match to 6%

Go ahead, go there...what is it you'd like to know/say? This is a really good conversation and I would like everyone to have all the info that can. Nothing is taken personal by me, I'm a professional

Go ahead, go there...what is it you'd like to know/say? This is a really good conversation and I would like everyone to have all the info that can. Nothing is taken personal by me, I'm a professional
You can hide behind your screen name and claim anything ... But the chances of you having a MBA are very remote ... You could and still drive a truck and nothing would be wrong with that ... But I sure as hell wouldn't. I know .... You have a full time executive MBA .... Not Likely.