Averitt | Company Channel on the CB

jeepman

Truckload Mercenary
Credits
Sure would be nice to have a company channel again...just to say HI or let other AVRT drivers what is going on ahead of them. Case in point..2 weeks ago east of Knoxville on I40,a person walking down the road got hit and killed by a number of big trucks,closing the highway. I was enrte from Wythville Va to KNX to grab and load and head for SC to deliver. Got heads up on 19 about it,then saw the flashing info sign. I got of at the 417 exit,went up to US11,then down to Knoxville. Heading back east on 40,I noticed at least a dozen AVRT's,stuck in traffic,just past the 417 exit. I bet if we had a company channel again,they could have by passed the accident. While coming down I81 and I40,I saw numerous AVRT"S going the other way,not a PEEP from any of them,they were looking right at me. I know TL used to be on Channel 30 and shuttle used to run 25 & 28, not counting those with BIG radio's. What do you all think?

We always ran 25 and we used 31 when we dealt with MFS drivers. I don't know that we have one anymore. A company channel should be spearheaded and designated by someone in power but don't hold your breath. Heck, even on 19 it is mostly quiet anymore.

I try to at least wave to other Averitt drivers, sometimes try to talk on the CB but I guess everyone is into the XM radio. I'm out of MFS and the few of my friends out of there run 28, use to run 31.

Don't feel bad driver, it's the same way at Fedex Freight. I don't think any of those guys running on I-40 at night headed to Little Rock, AR or points beyond even have a radio. They are doing road construction big time on I-40 in several different areas. I hollered at 7 or 8 trucks one night to tell them about a 10 mile back up and never got the first peep. I guess they like sitting in their truck drawing delay pay. I would rather be trucking down the road to my final destination then sitting still for several hours.

Saia isn't allowed to run radios. The wizards of smart think it's a safety issue, reminiscent of the death caused by the possibility of reading a qualcomm while riding down the road. These are the reasons that this industry sucks any more.