ODFL | Company Info

redrider

TB Lurker
Credits
Just wondering if any of you guys can shead some light on a wild line haul job, like the starting pay, days out, area's run, i live in tyler tx. its something i'm looking at, need more info on the job.
Redride

Just wondering if any of you guys can shead some light on a wild line haul job, like the starting pay, days out, area's run, i live in tyler tx. its something i'm looking at, need more info on the job.
Redride

Welcome to the O.D. forum redrider.I'm sure some of the drivers on here can help you out.

Well, being a Wild Driver myself, you run basically where they need you to run, basically it almost up to you as far as days out, I usually stay out 5-6 days go home for 2 days, if you want to stay out longer, you can. I started at .365cpm, I can't complain though, since its more than I was making at my previous employment, now up to .385cpm. They also pay you drops/hooks and for fueling also

Well, being a Wild Driver myself, you run basically where they need you to run, basically it almost up to you as far as days out, I usually stay out 5-6 days go home for 2 days, if you want to stay out longer, you can. I started at .365cpm, I can't complain though, since its more than I was making at my previous employment, now up to .385cpm. They also pay you drops/hooks and for fueling also
Thank You Gearbox for this info, how miles a week do you think you average, and are you saying if driver wants to say leave on monday and be back on friday for the weekend thats possible. and is the 36.5 cpm ithe starting pay for everbody.

You can get mileage wise being out 5 days anywhere from 2700-3000. I usually get anywhere from 2800-3100 a week. I usually run from Salt Lake City, Ut to Denver, Co via Wyoming. I go back and forth, but I will get runs to Reno, NV, Las Vegas, NV, basically anywhere they need the freight moved. I usually leave out of my house on a Sunday night and come back on Friday, home Saturday and Sunday day. Everybody is different. If you let them know you want to run, they will run you. I can't really say what starting pay is, thats just what I started out as. But I do believe you won't make less than that. Being in Texas helps being a big state that it is, shoot, you could run all over and never leave the state and make good miles.

Who does one really got to talk to for becoming a wild driver? In my area everytime I'll ask if we need them I'll get a Yes answer but the moment I tell them I'm interested there's isn't a need for wild L/H. Kind of sucks when you're one of the few at your barn who works hard to empty out your trailer each day.

Who does one really got to talk to for becoming a wild driver? In my area everytime I'll ask if we need them I'll get a Yes answer but the moment I tell them I'm interested there's isn't a need for wild L/H. Kind of sucks when you're one of the few at your barn who works hard to empty out your trailer each day.

Who knows what your T/Ms and or operations Mgn. reasoning really is. Hope you get in somehow.

OD terms are kind of funny that way. They don't post job openings for employees to apply for and change departments. The city doesn't want to lose a driver to linehaul so they don't give you the info. You also lose dept. seniority if you transfer so you have to weigh your options.
Wild linehaul is fun and games when it's busy. It's sleep late,watch TV and wait by the phone when it's not. There is no guarantee you will even get out let alone stay out if or when it slows down.

the reason they dont post jobs is cause they like u to stay at your job cause u do such a good job emptying trailers out. when i first started wit od my tm offered my to run wild but i wanted to do city now im stuck here except for i do line haul part time on weekends thas it but werd round here is if your a good city driver they keep u there if your bad they push u into line haul.

Yup, that's what my 1st TM would like to do! He told me L/H at our terminal was only for the really old guys and slow movers. But since he's been gone we've been having 500+ mile runs opening up and not a single driver here knows about it until a new guy is hired off the street to run these trips. It's hard to get 50+ hours and work myself to death with big weeks to pull in what some of these L/H guys are doing running good mile trips at night. Just kind of wish they would've let me in on this money before hiring a new guy right out of school for it.

Yup, that's what my 1st TM would like to do! He told me L/H at our terminal was only for the really old guys and slow movers. But since he's been gone we've been having 500+ mile runs opening up and not a single driver here knows about it until a new guy is hired off the street to run these trips. It's hard to get 50+ hours and work myself to death with big weeks to pull in what some of these L/H guys are doing running good mile trips at night. Just kind of wish they would've let me in on this money before hiring a new guy right out of school for it.

That's your t/m's fault.I would say he wants to keep you where you're at because you're good at it.He calls it smart,I call it holding a man back.As far as the new guy goes they probably promised him the moon to get him thru school.Your t/m is who you're going to have to deal with to get it changed.You can go over his head and get the new openings posted but he'll still be the man running it and could cause you some grief.Try to work it out on the terminal level.Some t/m's will not hold a man back.Those are the one's that end up with a better workforce because they know what's best for the company and don't just live to make themselves look good.