SEFL | Compensation

LTLIndentured

TB Veteran
Credits
it’s time SEFL moved into the present and stopped acting like it’s 2008 all over again. We are not about to hit another recession and should not be compensating drivers like we are about to enter a recession.

We as a company are far behind industry leaders in driver compensation. FedEx, UPSF, ABF, and Saia will all bring home 200-400 more per paycheck on a 55-60 hour workweek than a SEFL driver. That is a Yuuuuge pay gap. I understand wanting to invest in capital and remaining competitive in pricing, but with the recent tax reductions SEFL CAN afford to pay us what the leading carriers are putting out. We have a 40% market share in the Atlanta GA metro area and yet compensate as though we are headed into a recession. I understand that you leaders don’t want a repeat of not cutting pay or bennies and struggling to remain profitable during a recession, but WE ARE NOT IN A RECESSION!!!! Why are we having difficulty in hiring? The word is out. Others pay better and don’t put more workload on you than you can get done. Get us back on top in pay so I don’t have to job hunt. I don’t come to work for the promise of no layoffs ever. I come to work to bring home as much as possible in pay. We can’t hire quality drivers that care because the pay isn’t there and THAT concerns me about long term security

You need to keep posting ... they have someone that looks at ALL media that has anything to do with SEFL.

They are extremely aware of image !

We as a company are far behind industry leaders in driver compensation. FedEx, UPSF, ABF, and Saia will all bring home 200-400 more per paycheck on a 55-60 hour workweek than a SEFL driver. That is a Yuuuuge pay gap. I understand wanting to invest in capital and remaining competitive in pricing, but with the recent tax reductions SEFL CAN afford to pay us what the leading carriers are putting out. We have a 40% market share in the Atlanta GA metro area and yet compensate as though we are headed into a recession. I understand that you leaders don’t want a repeat of not cutting pay or bennies and struggling to remain profitable during a recession, but WE ARE NOT IN A RECESSION!!!! Why are we having difficulty in hiring? The word is out. Others pay better and don’t put more workload on you than you can get done. Get us back on top in pay so I don’t have to job hunt. I don’t come to work for the promise of no layoffs ever. I come to work to bring home as much as possible in pay. We can’t hire quality drivers that care because the pay isn’t there and THAT concerns me about long term security
It pains me to know that they took the tax break to increase their spending by a whopping 39% from last year and give us a .02 raise (in Linehaul) which barely comes in at a 3.5% increase. Now as a disclosure, I am thankful for the increase and the 2 additional personal days, so don't get me wrong, thank you. However, with an outstanding operating ratio of a .89 along with a massive tax cut, come into the company update meeting and with a straight face and say proudly you're getting a .02 raise and two more personal days, that's just embarrassing. I can only speak for our meeting, but they didn't refer one bit about the massive tax cuts they received. I just sincerely hope that maybe they have an additional raise coming in November or December that they are not saying anything about. Fingers crossed!

We all know they make the SDI Survey show what they want. They want everything too look good - not be good.

What is the pay for a line haul driver ? Do you get paid for drop/hook and fueling? Saia only pays for drop/hook if you have more than 2. So if you have a run that is a straight terminal to terminal you don’t get paid for hooking or breaking your set.

What is the pay for a line haul driver ? Do you get paid for drop/hook and fueling? Saia only pays for drop/hook if you have more than 2. So if you have a run that is a straight terminal to terminal you don’t get paid for hooking or breaking your set.
No pay to fuel or pretrip. 8.50 to hook a set. Your scheduled trailers not included

There are better paying options than sefl. The big draw here is the no lay off history, but that isn’t much of a draw at present Everybody and his brother is looking for drivers

New trucks all have cameras and you will have a sit down manager review of anything setting cameras off. Even if they don’t know what to tell you to do differently.

Was looking into a line haul position out of Charlotte. Most ltl’s are the same but the pay is good. I’m at Saia now and we have driver facing cameras. Your not allowed to talk on your phone or use the CB. If your caught grabbing your phone or touching CB. They will suspend you for a day or two. Not to mention if you trigger the camera and have something in your hand. Water or food or anything you’ll get a talking to. It’s stressful enough worrying about all the idiot drivers and on top of that you have a company judging you by 15 seconds of video. For me it’s either self or OD. The problem with OD is they send you straight to the NE. No thank you

Long term OD will be a better choice IMO. I think our owner will sell in a few years. Xpo or Amazon or Home Depot may buy us and that would be a race to the bottom

It's not the pay at SEFL that's bad it's the work people into the ground mentality at many terminals. Get injured working there and you have to possibly worry about keeping your job. I saw more than a few people let go cause of that over the years.
I understand what you are saying Sabersfan, but I have to disagree and agree. I agree with you on the rented mule work mentality and disagree about pay. We are $3.50 per hour less than FedEx here with no OT ever. FedEx drivers not only get OT after 8, but also get 50-55 hours thereby shutting down the argument about no one seeing over 40 hours if a company had to pay OT. FedEx also gets .70 or .72 cents per mile Can’t remember which. If I get worked like a tented mule then I expect top pay.

No pay to fuel or pretrip. 8.50 to hook a set. Your scheduled trailers not included

Not sure where you are out of but that's not a company policy, we get paid for all drop and hooks, including scheduled run hooks.

I understand what you are saying Sabersfan, but I have to disagree and agree. I agree with you on the rented mule work mentality and disagree about pay. We are $3.50 per hour less than FedEx here with no OT ever. FedEx drivers not only get OT after 8, but also get 50-55 hours thereby shutting down the argument about no one seeing over 40 hours if a company had to pay OT. FedEx also gets .70 or .72 cents per mile Can’t remember which. If I get worked like a tented mule then I expect top pay.

Not that much of a difference where I'm from but it is a bigger gap than it should be. Especially since during the safety awards meeting they preach and gloat about how low our operation ratio is and how busy we are. I enjoy working here for the most part but anything that comes out of managements mouth is a bunch of .

Met a driver the other night who told me there barn is rotating drivers every week, most are only getting 4 days a week but the SCM is calling other terminals begging for drivers. Good friend with one guy who's been to the terminal who confirmed that.

Long term OD will be a better choice IMO. I think our owner will sell in a few years. Xpo or Amazon or Home Depot may buy us and that would be a race to the bottom

One can dream, I don't think they'll sell until at least Tobin steps down and his daughter takes over. Guessing it'll be quite a few billion dollar buyout, I'd take it and let someone else have the headache if I were in her shoes.

Got into a discussion with a driver from another company the other day, he thought SEFL wasn't worth buying out from a business standpoint because of our size(only cover 13 states). I just saw this link that was on another companies section. For a company that only covers 13 states(can't remember if that's correct), I think it's quite impressive to be where we are at. If we do get bought out, hopefully it's not from a company that's known for buying companies out and running them into the ground and eventually bankruptcy, not going to name any names though .

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/artic...and_less_than_truckload_ltl_companies_in_2017