SEFL | Compensation

Was looking into a line haul position out of Charlotte. Most ltl’s are the same but the pay is good. I’m at Saia now and we have driver facing cameras. Your not allowed to talk on your phone or use the CB. If your caught grabbing your phone or touching CB. They will suspend you for a day or two. Not to mention if you trigger the camera and have something in your hand. Water or food or anything you’ll get a talking to. It’s stressful enough worrying about all the idiot drivers and on top of that you have a company judging you by 15 seconds of video. For me it’s either self or OD. The problem with OD is they send you straight to the NE. No thank you

Green and White has L/H openings in Charlotte. I'd try there first, just my two cents. Especially if you like running miles. If you like setting down, waiting and running only 300-400(lows 400's if you're lucky) miles, then come on over.

Met a driver the other night who told me there barn is rotating drivers every week, most are only getting 4 days a week
This time of year there should be no rotation. Your SCM is doing as he is ordered to by a regional vp of ops. Our new routing system is causing a nightmare for people who count on a 5 day paycheck. There must be a certain peice count or weight amount or they cut the route and rotate a driver. Our company decided that a .89 OR isn’t good enough and that we need to take from drivers instead of supporting us. Another example of forgetting who got you where you are.

Wrong!! And as far as the phone it’s illegal. As far as the CB you can listen just don’t talk unless your pulled over. Many drivers have CB’s and have learned to adapt.
Wrong!! And as far as the phone it’s illegal. As far as the CB you can listen just don’t talk unless your pulled over. Many drivers have CB’s and have learned to adapt.
Phones are not illegal if you have a Bluetooth. They are against company policy at Saia. But I use my phone for iPod and podcast and gps. It’s not just a talking device. Sometimes it needs to be touched to change something. I have been talked to about both hands on the wheel. So I know. You can have a CB. But if you look at it wrong. They’ll nail you for it.

Saia rules reminds of nanny state politics. We will need to ask permission to relieve ourselves if this keeps going. I’m sure my company will follow Saia s lead in this eventually so I feel like I have a stake in it. What’s their goal? Saving money. Can’t blame them for wanting to save money. Why make driving jobs less attractive with so many controlling rules? If asked, I’m sure the answer will be like it or leave it. I’ll still complain though lol

Phones are not illegal if you have a Bluetooth. They are against company policy at Saia. But I use my phone for iPod and podcast and gps. It’s not just a talking device. Sometimes it needs to be touched to change something. I have been talked to about both hands on the wheel. So I know. You can have a CB. But if you look at it wrong. They’ll nail you for it.
Yes, I should have clarified that. But let me say this. Study after study with hard data confirms that driving while talking on a Bluetooth does take focus off of your driving. I don’t necessarily agree with the Bluetooth policy but I accept it. The money and compensation package at SAIA makes it worth it to me personally and with the 4% raise we just received many agree. But as with any policy some find it unacceptable and leave. It’s a personal choice. This isn’t my company so I play by their rules. If I want to set my own rules I suppose I need to start my own company. I’m fine with where I’m at. Like I said, it’s a personal choice.

Last edited:
Yes, I should have clarified that. But let me say this. Study after study with hard data confirms that driving while talking on a Bluetooth does take focus off of your driving. I don’t necessarily agree with the Bluetooth policy but I accept it. The money and compensation package at SAIA makes it worth it to me personally and with the 4% raise we just received many agree. But as with any policy some find it unacceptable and leave. It’s a personal choice. This isn’t my company so I play by their rules. If I want to set my own rule I suppose I need to start my own company. I’m fine where I’m at. Like I said, it’s a personal choice.
Your right. We chose to work at places. I understand the safety and what they are trying to accomplish with the cameras. They just need to back off on something’s. So there’s a raise ? We don’t get told anything at my termination

Your right. We chose to work at places. I understand the safety and what they are trying to accomplish with the cameras. They just need to back off on something’s. So there’s a raise ? We don’t get told anything at my termination
We got 4% ... Here in Dallas we went from 26.17 to 27.22 in P&D plus time and a half after 45. Now I’m sure the N.E. is close to 30.00hr. if not over. The cost of living is much higher for those guys.

Much! Should pay $40 per hr for everyone above the Mason-Dixon for having to deal with all that high tax yankee nonsense
I agree... Taxes are absurd in the N.E. >>> Lots of beauty up there but give me Texas. Born here and I will die here. Don’t try and understand this dry, hot state. You must be a Texan to appreciate things here.

.63 per mile at sefl right now. Fx is at least at .70. Running 500 miles per night 75,600 at sefl versus 84,000 at Fx. Our city drivers will earn an average of about 10-15 k less per year than Fx city. Again, we are not in a recession SEFL. Get us competitive.

We will go to .65 in June, but that’s still a big gap. Sefl has no fear of a union drive and so has no reason to increase pay. They will keep trying to hire kids and pay them less than market average before increasing pay to retain seasoned drivers. Combine this with all the kids we put in leadership and I really am concerned about this company’s future as I near retirement

SEFL holds 40% market share in Atlanta because their prices are so cheap. This is one reason why drivers don’t get increases. I’m not a driver- I’m in management with another company and I’m not bad mouthing SEFL at all, but everywhere I go I see SEFL pricing tariffs offering pricing like its 2008. A good 20% cheaper than Estes, FedEx, OD ect.
Y’all are right though, image is a huge deal with them...They want the biggest terminals, nicest terminals, best looking sales people, cleanest trucks ect- But they want to pay their drivers much less than other carriers.
They can’t increase driver pay because they’re too worried about building that 90 door end line terminal right on a major highway with a huge glass front just so everyone can see them! All while their drivers take less pay. Sure, they do a great job! Service is great. But IMO, and yes, it’s my opinion, their priorities are a little mixed up.
Working for a company that’s very proud of themselves isn’t a bad thing at all...But just saying you work for SEFL doesn’t pay the bills.

SEFL holds 40% market share in Atlanta because their prices are so cheap. This is one reason why drivers don’t get increases. I’m not a driver- I’m in management with another company and I’m not bad mouthing SEFL at all, but everywhere I go I see SEFL pricing tariffs offering pricing like its 2008. A good 20% cheaper than Estes, FedEx, OD ect.
Y’all are right though, image is a huge deal with them...They want the biggest terminals, nicest terminals, best looking sales people, cleanest trucks ect- But they want to pay their drivers much less than other carriers.
They can’t increase driver pay because they’re too worried about building that 90 door end line terminal right on a major highway with a huge glass front just so everyone can see them! All while their drivers take less pay. Sure, they do a great job! Service is great. But IMO, and yes, it’s my opinion, their priorities are a little mixed up.
Working for a company that’s very proud of themselves isn’t a bad thing at all...But just saying you work for SEFL doesn’t pay the bills.

Wow look at this butthurt guy, he’s jealous. Doesn’t work for SEFL but knows all the inter workings of the company.

You seem to know so much about our pay so please enlighten us and compare it to Estes.

You seem to know so much about our pay so please enlighten us and compare it to Estes.

You can tell he’s mad because SEFL has taken accounts from him based on service, doesn’t realize that in order to provide service you have to have terminals and door space. Estes is so cramped for door space in places you can only load vans instead of pups into those terminals. SEFL will never have freight bottlenecks and can give on time damage free service because of their commitment to facilities.

You can tell he’s mad because SEFL has taken accounts from him based on service, doesn’t realize that in order to provide service you have to have terminals and door space. Estes is so cramped for door space in places you can only load vans instead of pups into those terminals. SEFL will never have freight bottlenecks and can give on time damage free service because of their commitment to facilities.

There are a quite a few points he makes that proves you are correct.

Nicest looking sales people: this is just laughable.

Biggest and nicest looking terminals: I've only been to one terminal that they haven't used almost every single door and that's ATB and I've heard the only reason they aren't using all 250 doors and they are trying to buy more land for trailed storage, god knows it's already cramped in that place as it is already. As far as nicest terminals, I've only seen one that's over the top nice and that's SCH. The rest are nice but nothing to write home about.

Cleanest trucks: Estes trucks are just as nice and clean as ours.

As far as pay goes: we make less than FedEx and UPSF in my area that I know of, we might be slightly less than Estes but not enough to where I see anyone jumping ship to run to them.

SEFL must be doing something right, even if they are 20% cheaper on freight which I believe he made that up, SEFL's O/R was at around a 89 last year. I believe there a things to improve on and pay for P&D for the amount of stops they do compared to most anyone else in our area, they should make more.

I've also never had a hard time paying my bills since being here, dont live beyond your means.

To sum this up, SEFL isn't a perfect company and theres room for improvement but that can be said for Estes and almost every other LTL company. Hell, I've came on here and vented when I've had a bad day or week but out of 52 weeks a year I'd say 90% of the time I'm happy where I'm at.

There are a quite a few points he makes that proves you are correct.

Nicest looking sales people: this is just laughable.

Biggest and nicest looking terminals: I've only been to one terminal that they haven't used almost every single door and that's ATB and I've heard the only reason they aren't using all 250 doors and they are trying to buy more land for trailed storage, god knows it's already cramped in that place as it is already. As far as nicest terminals, I've only seen one that's over the top nice and that's SCH. The rest are nice but nothing to write home about.

Cleanest trucks: Estes trucks are just as nice and clean as ours.

As far as pay goes: we make less than FedEx and UPSF in my area that I know of, we might be slightly less than Estes but not enough to where I see anyone jumping ship to run to them.

SEFL must be doing something right, even if they are 20% cheaper on freight which I believe he made that up, SEFL's O/R was at around a 89 last year. I believe there a things to improve on and pay for P&D for the amount of stops they do compared to most anyone else in our area, they should make more.

I've also never had a hard time paying my bills since being here, dont live beyond your means.

To sum this up, SEFL isn't a perfect company and theres room for improvement but that can be said for Estes and almost every other LTL company. Hell, I've came on here and vented when I've had a bad day or week but out of 52 weeks a year I'd say 90% of the time I'm happy where I'm at.
Trust me when I say we are not cheaper. Competitive yes; cheaper no. Sefl sells service not price