XPO | CON Region

Based on what you've learned in meetings and evidence on the ground such as the arrival of high cube pups and the change of airline and jack locations on the new vans, can you speculate to a reasonable degree as to what we, the freight division of XPO, looks like several years down the road? Thanks.

It’s not that hard to see we’ll be the new YRC.

Not to worry guys, it took us 8 years to become today's YRCW.
Please explain what this statement means? I need to recognize the changes so i can jump ship .I look around & discuss with other drivers about their work conditions. OD is the only carrier better compensated carrier in my area.Not counting UPS GROUND.AND I AM HOME TO SLEEP IN MY BED plus 2 days off a week

My question wasn't for you, but of course you welcome to speculate. As to your response, if it's not so hard to see it, why do I fail to understand that "we'll be the new YRC?"

Really simple. Everything is aging without being replaced.

Forklifts, trucks, drivers, docks including restrooms, dock plates, dock bumpers, etc..

Old trucks with few new ones. I’d even say XPO hasn’t ordered any new trucks and the new ones we’ve received are from when Con-way ordered them.

Like I’ve seen highspeeds say time and again.. it’s all about the stock price and looking good.

I’d say Jacobs is getting older and just wants to make his mighty millions before just letting it all go to ::shit:: and become someone else’s problem.

Forklifts, trucks, drivers, docks including restrooms, dock plates, dock bumpers, etc..

Old trucks with few new ones. I’d even say XPO hasn’t ordered any new trucks and the new ones we’ve received are from when Con-way ordered them.

Like I’ve seen highspeeds say time and again.. it’s all about the stock price and looking good.

I’d say Jacobs is getting older and just wants to make his mighty millions before just letting it all go to :::shit::: and become someone else’s problem.

What is the value of the LTL unit by itself?

What company would want it?

Wouldn't it make sense to keep the LTL unit until AFTER the upcoming rounds of contract negotiations?

I’d say Jacobs is getting older and just wants to make his mighty millions before just letting it all go to :::shit::: and become someone else’s problem.
While I agree that we are all doing more with less, we got five new l/h tractors this year, several forklifts and the dock repairs are done as needed. It’s just a job to me, I come to work, do the best I can for everyone involved and go home. That’s it.

Did you work your way up to TM? Or do you have a college degree? ( 20 years in I'm guessing you worked your way up ) What do you think of education from a book versus education from experience?

With so many openings , why not go for a Director of Operations spot? What makes you eligible? Butt kissing or actual results?

Also , how is the compensation tied to the P&L statements for the terminal? Also , if you are at a class 2 terminal are you paid the same as a class 1 manager? How big can your bonus money be? What's the base pay? How bad can your numbers be before you get walked out?
Worked my way up, college degrees managers are a good thing, but not if they cannot apply common sense. P&L only affects bonus. Well if you look at XSM THEY ARE KILLING THEIR PNL. It's a rate of pay thing. They can get a new hire in for 25-30k less.

Based on what you've learned in meetings and evidence on the ground such as the arrival of high cube pups and the change of airline and jack locations on the new vans, can you speculate to a reasonable degree as to what we, the freight division of XPO, looks like several years down the road? Thanks.
All the equipment changes are to be aligned with other trailer mfg. high cube means more space more revenue per trailer

All the equipment changes are to be aligned with other trailer mfg. high cube means more space more revenue per trailer
from what we are being told CUBE does not matter they want every trailer with a min of 14500lbs on them and that's it.

I love walking the dock and talking with u guys/gals. sometimes the reports/playbook is a priority and takes us in our office.
Then I guess you understand that 80% of the employees don't care anymore. In the last year the morale went way down and the I don't give a ::shit:: attitude went way up. Most of these dockworks at FAC have that attitude and are just to lazy to get off there lift and drop decks strap freight. The powers to be see this as the great money saver but then talk about the 30% increase in damages. Maybe they should get out from behind the desk and see what really going on you know RM and higher

It’s not that hard to see we’ll be the new YRC.

I don't know- that seems very hard to see from over here. That's a long drop.

Our barn has added several new tractors, brand new lifts (which I never saw at CWF), and even hired a few people. Other centers are doing the same- some are still doing driving schools. The idea that they're just letting the place decay into obsolescence doesn't hold water. Not that some barns aren't being cheap, I'm sure they are when the focus is on bottom line- but I think that's a local issue, not some telling sign about XPO's overall motives.

This place is turning into a millennials dream. Sit on your hands and do nothing and say nothing for fear that anything you say or do could offend someone or hurt their feelings. Speaking up about how someone is doing poorly or heaven forbid, actually is doing something wrong, and you are the one that gets yelled at for picking on them and not minding your own business. And not just on the dock, these children are making their way up the ranks of management too. It's absolutely amazing what a different world it is that we are living in today.
What can they do? Fire you? 5 carriers down the road will hire you next day. Don’t live in fear, make a change and be happy:)

Worked my way up, college degrees managers are a good thing, but not if they cannot apply common sense. P&L only affects bonus. Well if you look at XSM THEY ARE KILLING THEIR PNL. It's a rate of pay thing. They can get a new hire in for 25-30k less.

Others have kind broken the ice here. And we are all dying to know. So, how long until you quit or are fired ? Seems like an interesting time to be in your position.

When a Terminal Manager is replaced , is XPO promoting from within or are they hiring from outside?

If they are hiring from outside , where are they getting new managers from? YRCW companies , ABF , R&L , Old Dominion , Saia , UPS Freight , or any of the regional freight companies?

Also , if XPO Logistics hires from another company , I'm guessing the new manager didn't have a no-compete-clause.

When a Terminal Manager is replaced , is XPO promoting from within or are they hiring from outside?

If they are hiring from outside , where are they getting new managers from? YRCW companies , ABF , R&L , Old Dominion , Saia , UPS Freight , or any of the regional freight companies?

Also , if XPO Logistics hires from another company , I'm guessing the new manager didn't have a no-compete-clause.

** Yes, there are some (limited) internal promotions but just look around the system and you'll see new faces from outside. If all promotions came from within, XPO would not be able to reduce the salaries that were started under Con-way.
** Managers are coming from other carriers but not just one in particular. I have seen new managers come from YRC, FedEx, ABF, and Central Transport in particular.
** Yes, all new salaried employees (FOS on up) must sign their non-compete agreement, regardless of whether they are an internal promotion or hired from the outside. In talking with several who have left (or been asked to leave), the agreements are more restrictive the higher the position. Basically, plan on not working the first 6 months unless you're flipping burgers or saying "Welcome to Wal-Mart." And yes, BJ has gone after several former employees who he felt violated the agreement.