XPO | Con-Way Apprentice program?

futuretrucker1234

TB Lurker
Credits
I've heard about Con-Way having an apprentice program for people without a CDL.

Was wondering how difficult it is to get into such a program.

And what is involved with it.

futuretrucker1234 said:

i know i'm not the most qualified to answer this one (i came in with my cdl) but we run the program at our barn and i've talked to a lot of people who are in it/have gone through it. it sounds like a real good deal. you give con-way a year and they get you your license.
from what i've heard though, you'll learn the basics and what not in the yard and after a while they'll put you in the city and on day lane runs to get the experience until you can pass the dmv test. also the time spent running around the yard is on your dime (unpaid) but you'll also be doing 30-40 hours working the docks so you will have income while in the program.

Well that is good, having income while getting the license is the most important part for me. Can't afford to goto some of the OTR places that want me to goto some class out of state and spend 3 weeks without any pay...

I guess the hardest part is going to be getting into the program. Probably not many people going to con-way for training.

futuretrucker1234 said:

I think the conway web site show;s the service center's that have this program.

XIN has the aprenticship program. on the website, it lists the contact info as:

2200 Airwest Blvd.
Plainfield, IN 46168
Ron W
(800) 382-5072

give Ron a call and get some info. =)

gfy said:
I think the conway web site show;s the service center's that have this program.
it does. it's wierd though. XSL has the program, but according to the website, XKC doesn't. XKC is hella bigger than XSL though (in number of doors AND in yard space). anyone know why XKC doesn't offer the program?

futuretrucker1234 said:
Just curious but what is XSL and XKC?
It's the code that C F(conway freight)uses for the names of our service centers.Xsl is st louis,Xkc is kansas city and you would be xin.

I've always thought about getting a CDL, so the apprentice program would be great. If UPO (Portland) started one up, then I'd really seriously consider it. But right now, the closest SC to me with an apprentice program is USE (Seattle). So until then, I'm stuck here at the Portland offices.

Apprentice Program

To Get Into The Apprentice Program You Would Need To Go To The Closest Terminal To You. See If They Are Hiring For The Program - Obtain Your Permits - Then You Would Work On The Dock And Train 2 Hours Daily On Your Own Without Pay And Also Train A Couple Of Times A Week With A Trainer And After 3 Months You Would Have Your License - You Also Have To Sign A Contract That You Will Stay With Conway Freight For 1 Year Or They Charge You $1500.00

I did 4 to 6 hours of training day, 8 to 9 hours on the dock. Got done in a month.
The long hours prepped me for Linehaul.
I'll tell you. I was at my barn for so much time, I felt like I never left.
Was the apprentice program worth it? YES!!
I saved 5000.00+ compared to going to a Driving School.

Dockworker said:
I did 4 to 6 hours of training day, 8 to 9 hours on the dock. Got done in a month.
The long hours prepped me for Linehaul.
I'll tell you. I was at my barn for so much time, I felt like I never left.
Was the apprentice program worth it? YES!!
I saved 5000.00+ compared to going to a Driving School.

That sounds like what I would be doing if I can get into it.

They still telling me they "don't know anything" and have to wait for the meeting with their terminal manager that is going to be about the hiring plans for the summer. Something about "new president" is why they have not had this meeting they were supposed to be having yesterday.

Not sure if that is good or not, but I have not yet had a definate NO, so might be able to get in there I hope.

If not then I guess I'm going to FedEx, but they tell me 1 year to get my CDL. :rolleyes:

Sounds like they are not actively hiring.
I could swear that I did not see a link for apprentices in the Indiana section

Dumb Question Time:
Just curious, did you apply in person? If not than go fill one out and if you feel your application is up to snuff, try to set up an interview before you leave. I bet they won't say NO.

Again, good luck futuretrucker1234

Yea I applied in person.

Hopefully Friday I can get some more useful information from him.

The apprentice program is supposedly a semi-new thing for this location. Started last fall.

I'm new to the boards and was wondering how things turned for futuretrucker1234.Did he apprentice at XIN? Also, I don't think the size of the terminal determines whether they offer the program. Our barn only has 20 doors and we've had apprentices.

I am in my 3rd week of the program at xhg,,it was a long wait to get in but once I got in it has been very well worth the wait,,I am working the dock for 2 hrs then spending 4 hrs in the program and then back on the dock for 6 hrs.
Friday was my 3rd day in the truck and im already paralell parking and doing the serpentine,,tomorrow we go out on the road!!! :1036316054: :1036316054: :1036316054: